Modified Buick 320ci Straight 8 Engine

Hello

I own a 1950 Buick with 320ci Engine. I was always believing that it was equiped with hydraulic lifters.

Now I have found out that my 320ci Straight 8 engine does not have the standard hydraulic lifters. It is running with solid lifters, please see attached pictures.

As I need to change several push rods I do not exactly know if I can follow to the valve lash adjustment regarding the specs of a solid lifter engine like the Buick 40 or 50 series.

Also I have already contacted oldbuickparts.com to ask for pushrods that measures 13.38 to 13.46 inches, but unfortunately they dont have them and even dont know a source to buy such.

What would be a good reason to have the hydraulic lifters changed to solids?

Many thanks for any help!!!

20200526_185439_k.jpg

20200527_140720_k.jpg

20200527_140731_k.jpg

20200608_152543_k.jpg

20200608_152555_k.jpg

20200608_154904_k.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The profile of the cams are different. The ramp is "steeper" that the lifter has to ride on one than the other! Solids cant absorb a quick jolt of a steep ramp on a cam like a hydraulic lifter can. I see you have a broken pushrod which can be the result of trying to switch to solids without the knowledge of the differences in the cams. Just a SWAG (SCIENTIFIC WILD ASS GUESS!)

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I know this is an older post but just in case someone needs the info.

I had my set made by Manton Push rods. Any length and any ends you want.

• Thanks 1