Search for running board trim. 38 coupe

Have found a vendor willing to make  the running board, front center and skirt trim for my 1938 coupe.  He has a buck from a 1937 coupe but his is unsure as I am if it will fit my 1938.  Both are smooth as far as I know.  Can someone share the light on this question?  Thanks.

The running board trim is the same for 1936 and 1937 but the 1938 is longer. I have measured a couple of battered trims that I have here and the 1936/7 is 91 inches long whereas the 1938 is 94 inches long.

This makes sense as the 1938 had a slightly longer wheelbase and the extra length  of the trim is in the front fender. I also measured the rear skirt trims but only have a 1936/7 and that  is 41 inches long.

Although they look the same the 1938/9 rear skirts are slightly deeper than the 1936/7  in the rear section were the lock fits. I don't have a 1938 skirt trim to measure but I think they must be slightly longer.

According to the parts book they have a different part number to the 1936/7 trim so there must be some kind of diffidence.  Hope this helps...Regards, Colin.

Hi Belt!

I f you are interested I would be willing to make a tracing of my trim with sections at various points along the length, along with photos.  You could make pattens with thin plywood of the curvaceous ins and outs of each pc along the lengths of the running boards, fenders and skirt areas.  I imagine it would be a lot of work but doable  for a good metal craftsman.

Let me know if I can help,

Take care!

Phil

’38 Coupe

Just got my latest copy of Hemmings....on page 331 there is an ad for parts from www,zephyrparts.com that says they 1936-39 running board reproductions.    602-278-4505 is the contact number listed.  You might find something that will help you get yours restored!  Good Luck!   

I tried “zephyrparts” already.  He has several late thirties zephyrs.  Could make them from brass than chrome plate.  Cost was quite high.

zephyrdave, I chase the boat thing about five years ago.  Can’t  remember all the details but I did buy sever long pices of boat trim from a boat manufacture, only to find it had holes in the strips about ever twelve inches.  Could you give me a contact so I can try again?

I live near Toronto, so I got lengths of trim from Extrude-A-Trim in Toronto. If you go to their website and click on catalog then standard shapes, you can find half oval bar. I think it's 12 ft. no holes. There must be a similar US company. Way Of The Zephyr, March-April 1994 has the how to make your own trim article. 

I no longer belong to the Zephyr club.  As I live in the southern part of the US, they never have any shows down here, that I know of.  Most of the owner of our beloved cars live either in the northern or west coast of the US.  I wish it was otherwise.  The other issue is I like reading tech articles as my hobby is building old cars.  I saw a lot of beautiful cars but little in the way of restoring them.  I’ve given up on hotrodding cars because you basically throw everything away except the body and a few other parts.  It’s just sit down with a bunch of catalogs, order what you want, then wait for the UPS truck. 

Do you (or others) be willing to pm the article you made note of? 

Much thanks and stay safe.