1922 Cadillac Suburban

33 minutes ago, mikewest said:

ED , Unless Ive missed the posting of the price the family will sell it for , telling us HOW MUCH they will accept will help sell this car. They have tested the waters long enough  for offers.  Id be interested in it myself , but want to know how much money it is. Its a very simply concept....... but a lot of sellers cant figure it out.

Why not keep the concept even simpler and just make an offer based on HOW MUCH it is worth to you ?

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

I have refrained from posting the following information while the thread was active, as I didn't want to interfear with a potential sale. I have a good friend who knows this car and early Cadillac's well, and has inspected this car in the recent past. He has an opinion, which I will not share publicly. His opinion is very close to mine.........with additional details one could only have by a personal inspection. I hope the car sells and is reassembled........it's too good to be a parts car......but that is probably going to be it's fate. 

Send me a PM please with a summary.  I'm still stung by losing $4500 on a 1942 Packard purchase that I needed agent help with.  Everybody took my money, but there was no delivery of a vehicle.  So, in this case, with a time sensitive purchase option, that is the issue.   When It's go time, it's go time and the seller of the home can't say "I've sold the car and parts but they need 3 months to move it."  That won't fly with a new owner of the home who is not a 1920's car nut. 

My offer is $500.   The cost to move the car and all it's parts will be thousands of dollars.  I know someone offered $3500. So my offer is seen as a lowball offer, but I will restore the car over the next 10 years and we will put it back in the "gene pool".  I was a 3 year member of the CLC, and just recently got out because I own no cars. Prior, I seriously looked at a few 20's era Cadillacs, running and driving.  These are NOT the most popular for most folks because of all of the refinements for Cadillac in the 30's and 40's.   But it sounds like a fun project that would test me and whoever was helping me.  I also could care less about the closed car / open car issues. 

I am seriously looking at Buick open cars from the same era, as well as a couple of closed ones. Sure, you would sweat your arse off in certain months here in Iowa, but overall I think it would be great.  I will go back and read the post above which pulls information from the actual catalog, I was just watching this thread like most of us with interest. 

I would also be more than willing to go in on this car as joint ownership with someone within 300 miles of me in Iowa Falls who is better equipped to restore the car in their garage.  I would provide 50/50 seed money to purchase and move and commit to aiding in restoration costs and labor (Former mechanic here, who now works in lab equipment servicing).   This is a serious offer. 

1 hour ago, mikewest said:

ED , Unless Ive missed the posting of the price the family will sell it for , telling us HOW MUCH they will accept will help sell this car. They have tested the waters long enough  for offers.  Id be interested in it myself , but want to know how much money it is. Its a very simply concept....... but a lot of sellers cant figure it out.

Mike

This is a long thread now and the original poster has stated how much is not the 100% issue.  I am sure, or pretty sure, he could throw it on ebay and get $5000 plus for the parts it provides.  But he stated he is more interested in finding it a good home.   The issue is he is a long way away and in my opinion, there is a sentimental tug from mom to delay moving this project on.  But she may not understand (I don't know for sure) the gravity of how long it will take to move this car out - maybe several trips!  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, B Jake Moran said:

$500.

Not to me. I wouldn't take it for free if delivery to my location was included. Besides, if you're serious, why not just contact the OP/seller(s) directly ?

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

I would say this Cadillac is perhaps a 5K to 6 K car - maybe more and maybe less - it just depends on what you see when you get there.  It is pretty apart, but appears pretty solid too (a huge plus).   If you were waiving around 20K to 25K cash, I bet you could find a presentable, driveable, and equally solid one in a matter of a couple of weeks (if not a week). 

I see the argument about shipping it (a dissembled car is very difficult to move around), but in this case the car is in a pretty populated state of car enthusiasts (California) and that is why I suggested a local buyer for it (easier for them to deal with apart and ...).  And, a chassis that does not roll on tires (that hold air for a few minutes) is 100 times more difficult to deal with, plus engines not in frames are a bear, and ....   If the car was in the middle of nowhere, then price would need adjusted. 

And, glad they are taking the time to find it a proper home !

• 2 weeks later...

The Huppmobile is a much nicer car. I like the style better. It will make a great car to restore stock. The low racked look is great as it is. How much were you looking to get out of the Cadillac? It is to bad your grandfather never got to the car.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...