GR8WHITE

1922 Cadillac Suburban

Greg, You kept the right car. That Hupp is a very Handsome car.

• Like 1

Benefits of AACA Membership.

There is an original condition, driving ready to go 1925 Suburban in the Cad/LaSalle Club " Self-Starter" this month in Boise ,Idaho for $19,900 or best offer. Well maintained, nice in and out.  New tires.  Not mine, but I like these cars. Too far away from New England for interest though. I can see with the drag car and the Hupp that is a plateful , too bad you can't keep it and just reassemble and spruce up the mechanics as needed.   Jim43

39 minutes ago, Laughing Coyote said:

Has the engine been torn down too?

It was driven in and pulled apart. My grandfather never got that far. At least that’s what I remember since I was just a polliwog when he tore it down.

Posted (edited)

There is also a 69 triumph tr6 that needs to go as well if nobody in the family wants it. Might try to squeeze that in the shop as well. Not sure if it’s worth a divorce lol.

Edited by GR8WHITE (see edit history)

8 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

If someone shows up with more than $2000, TAKE IT.

This does not help you much but I would love to take on the reassembling of this car. I would love to own it.  It saddens me that worthwhile projects like this Cadillac will struggle to find a younger new owner while cars from the 70s on or worse yet - someone just buys a new Challenger or Camaro - get restored. 

I don’t care if it’s a closed car from the 20s, it’s an awesome 20s Cadillac!   

Good luck with your sale, would be great to find that buyer willing to take on a project like that.  Great Hupp.  69, BTW was first year for the TR-6.  Great cars with a strong following, if its solid selling it shouldn't be too hard.

I don,t see why people say this should go in a dumpster . I have put worse ones then this back on the road . When things like this is said it hurts the hobby . there are people coming in the hobby that could start with this and learn . Some where not hand this hobby but had to learn along the way . Kings32

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kings32 said:

I don,t see why people say this should go in a dumpster . I have put worse ones then this back on the road . When things like this is said it hurts the hobby . there are people coming in the hobby that could start with this and learn . Some where not hand this hobby but had to learn along the way . Kings32

Wasn't implying it should be trashed....the reality is that the parts dealers won't want any body or tin.........they usually will just take hard parts. Can it go back together? Maybe, if it's all there......apart forty years........wouldn't bet on it. A turn key driver is 15k, why spend five years and 20k assembling the car......it is what it is..........

Nice car and unfortunately appears to be one of those cars that probably should not have been taken apart and should have been dealt with just doing the minimum to keep it on the road - but given the time period it was taken apart it was all the rage to restore these cars.  Looks solid, but it really is apart and very much a grouping of boat anchors (aka all that will be very difficult for someone to move and they have to do it themselves as a shipping/transport company will not deal with that).  I would say 5K or 6K tippy tops given how GREAT it looks in person (and hopefully no wood rot in the body construction)

19 hours ago, GR8WHITE said:

Well two years ago while my grandfather was still alive he gave me the 33 Hupmobile.  That is my next project after finishing my 70 Chevelle drag car.  This is the car right after I brought it home.

Hup 3.jpg

Hup 2.jpg

Nice Huppmobile - a great car to keep !

7 minutes ago, bryankazmer said:

Cool Hupp.  Can someone educate me on the unusual wheels?

I would lean toward Budd disk wheels and probably optional.   They probably could use a stainless trim ring or some additional pinstripping to "jazz" the look up a bit.  

Sidenote:   If there is an unrestored engine or a disassembled engine then not so good as to price other than as to completness of the car - but, if there is a "restored" engine (even if just a long block or possibly even short block" sitting on a stand somewhere ready to go in, then car is worth considerably more money as it is hard to rebuild one of these for under 10K (albeit disassembled cars are a still  bear and a half to relocate/transport).   I noticed the frame looks like someone painted it black already (fully painted and/or well done painted is probably a whole other story to consider). 

23 hours ago, Mark Wetherbee said:

Just for a comparison, there’s a much more desirable 1930 on eBay 

Can anyone provide a link to that project, please...................      -    Carl 

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

Wasn't implying it should be trashed....the reality is that the parts dealers won't want any body or tin.........they usually will just take hard parts. Can it go back together? Maybe, if it's all there......apart forty years........wouldn't bet on it. A turn key driver is 15k, why spend five years and 20k assembling the car......it is what it is..........

I’m not disagreeing but you would reassemble for the fun of it. A true amateur restoration.  Not about the money.  Will be 100 years old soon 

• Like 3

Thanks, Greg. I don't think I could add anything beyond Mark's summation. I might say that when I weep over these now neglected projects, I am reminded of the description in song, of bad, bad Leroy Brown when they pulled him off of the floor.   -   Carl 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I will tackle them all for 2 grand,the hobby is about fun,the love of history,if you think about money,call your broker.The money left awhile ago.I would love to see that car together.The only ones making cash,caretakers,shops,and brokers.

Edited by old car fan (see edit history)

As  for  the  Hupp  wheels, wood was  standard  wire  and  disc  was  an  option.  As  for  the  Cadillac. The  frame  looks  like its  painted  as  well as the  springs. Notice  the  mufflers standing  on the  wall. They  look in  fair  shape.If  the  engine  is  complete  and  together that  alone  is  worth  the  2  grand. I  live  in  N.H. I  have  more  cars  than  any  man  needs BUT this car  just  begs  to  be  saved.

That Hupmobile is real sharp and a keeper.  i would take that over the Chevelle, and I grew up in the muscle car era.  

As for the Cadillac, you might stand a better chance of someone saving it if it's advertised on the Cadillac LaSalle Message Forum:

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/

19 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Thank you for posting this, here’s the main picture of this eBay car. I feel that the OP car is possibly in much better original condition although I think the age makes a world of difference in the desirability. If the interior is still in the 22, and if reassembled it could be made a reliable driver it would be a great starter car for an interested youngster with the ability to do that work but we all know how scarce they are... And it would have to be priced at a cost point where that person would be able to get it together lest it be in that condition for eternity. Personally, I still love these kinds of sedans but I also know my limitations. I think your Hupmobile is incredible and by far the better one to hold on to! Good luck!

92A83FC1-92C3-4C59-BCCC-778CBEC5F7D7.png

19 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

I’m not disagreeing but you would reassemble for the fun of it. A true amateur restoration.  Not about the money.  Will be 100 years old soon 

Go for it. It's right there. You've been wanting a Full Classic for a long time. I guarantee this car can be bought for very little money, especially if you're going to put it back together. What's stopping you? Jump in!

20 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

As a sidenote:  The car will be 100 years old soon and I assume the person who wrote this will be 100 years old soon too ???   I would love to be doing a car at age 100.  You hear a lot of people complaining from really everyone about "they must be selling stuff at a certain age", but having handled 100's of probate estates it really is not any issue - just put a letter in the car with the instructions on how to do it as usually the person who just died knows the best way to get rid of X (especially when specific club members or ... want it).