1991 RADIO NOT WORKING

MRJBUICK

My radio stopped working after my battery died on me

i replaced the battery with a new one and everything in the car works fine Except the radio and the antenna doesn't work 

1 assume the antenna isn't working because it is not getting a signal from the radio

i checked the 2 fuses and both are good 

the radio had the popping sound before this happened

i am just curious if there is anything else i should be checking before pulling the radio out

Marty

The amp/tuner in a 90-91 is the same as the 88-89, just packaged as a dsingle unit. If the dial is not even lighting then it is not likely the amp (unless +12 is shorted). If totally unresponsive then I'd check for power first. Do you have the pinout ?

1 hour ago, padgett said:

The amp/tuner in a 90-91 is the same as the 88-89, just packaged as a dsingle unit. If the dial is not even lighting then it is not likely the amp (unless +12 is shorted). If totally unresponsive then I'd check for power first. Do you have the pinout ?

The radio has no display or anything so i will pull the unit to check for power

if the pin out is in the service man i should have it

if it is not then i could use it 

thanks for the advice

Marty

I may have a complete radio assembly available but will have to check. I know I do have good radio module available.

I can be reached via    EMAIL   at reattas60@gmail.com

radio90a.JPG

radiomodule.JPG

Over the weekend I pulled the radio started checking the pins in the plugs, I was getting power at the plug but the car had sat for a week and the voltage was only 10.2 so it was low. Hmmm

I have a Delco radio tower I got out of a closing Buick dealer years ago so I checked and I had a 95 radio in it that I put in the car and everything worked and played pretty nice see pics below. I am going to live with the radio for now.

NOW I tried plugging the original Reatta radio into the tower and smoke starts coming out of the radio.

So I think the radio had a short and was draining the battery and probably killed the old battery . Thank God I found it.  As of tonight 3 days sitting voltage at 12.32 so I think I am fixed. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Marty

IMG_20200614_122939216.jpg

IMG_20200614_123022286.jpg

• Like 1

If you look at early Roadmasters and LeSabres you can find radios with or without a CD player. I don't care about the CD player part so I grab ones that have graphic equalizers and cassette decks. I have bypassed the cassette and installed an MP3 lead [made bt McReatta a former forum poster who no longer comes around] and play that instead, but a need a "broken" cassette tape to "fool" the car. This is on the '90 vert. I also did a lead for the '88/89.

I only look for radios with Bluetooth. I prefer Clarions (installed in 90 Reatta and Crossfire) because they have enough volume with the stock speakers and I know where the phone button is. Use an RF BT in my 88 Reatta and Allante. SLK had a Pioneer with BT when I bought it.