please help 1935 Buick 56s or 1956sx

Please be a bit more specific!!! do you want to know if your car is a 56s or a 56sx? do you want help to find hubcaps? do you want help to locate spare wheels and tire covers? Do you want help finding running board rubber? Do you want help knowing what the paint code mentioned on the fire wall plate indicates the car was painted originally?

Please help WHAT?

Thank you for your help I have most if not all the parts What I really need help with is this a rare car of only 11 exported or maybe just a car that was made in Canada I haven't made up my mind on fixing it or selling it so yes what I really need to know if its a 56s or a 56sx how do I tell  Thank you  

Hi Doug

Your coupe is a model 4557 as the serial number plate shows. The "45" is the model number (the second smallest Buick that year) and the "57" is the number for a coupe. It was likely built at Oshawa,Ontario. The "56" model was last used in 1934.

This info comes from a GM Canada parts book. According to the book "Seventy Years of Buick" by Dammann , the "56" carried on through 1935, but US model numbers may be different . Hopefully a '35 expert can verify or correct this.

Jim

1931-42 Buick data.jpg

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Paint code 575 = solid Ontario Maroon
Trim code 107 = sorry don't have Canadian trim codes for 1935

This car was built in Canada by GM of Canada and is not an export car.  The production number of 11 export cars you are referring to is for cars built in the US at Flint Michigan.  GM of Canada production figures are not include in the production numbers for Flint.  You can get more information from Vintage Vehicles Services if you want to pay for a report:

https://www.vintagevehicleservices.com/

Edited by sean1997 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, J.H.Boland said:

Hi Doug

Your coupe is a model 4557 as the serial number plate shows. The "45" is the model number (the second smallest Buick that year) and the "57" is the number for a coupe. It was likely built at Oshawa,Ontario. The "56" model was last used in 1934.

This info comes from a GM Canada parts book. According to the book "Seventy Years of Buick" by Dammann , the "56" carried on through 1935, but US model numbers may be different . Hopefully a '35 expert can verify or correct this.

Jim

1931-42 Buick data.jpg

That is an interesting data list. I am intrigued that Buick of Canada chose to go their own way with model designations from 1935.

Coincidentally this photo - taken in 1996 - turned up on a local facebook page just yesterday. This one interested me as the car was restored - at considerable expense -  only about a mile from me and I never did get a photo of it at the time.

It is a 1934 (or '35?) McLaughlin Buick Model 57 sedan that was sold new by the UK agent Lendrum and Hartman  to a New Zealand buyer - known locally for their brand of gelatine - who took it for a tour of Europe before shipping it home to NZ.  I believe Lendrum and Hartman supplied the cars new with wire wheels, sidemounts and leather upholstery as standard. The owner had health issues and moved to a warmer climate - Queensland Gold Coast, Australia, in the 1990s. I doubt he is still alive but I presume the car is still there somewhere.

Btw the gas station is still there - just with a change of name. It is on my way to work - and the brand gives a healthy discount to those of use with seniors cards - so I fill up there when ever I need to.

Image may contain: car

• Like 1

Some other Canadian numbering info (from AACA forum ~2014)

Car would be model 56S (sport coupe with rumble seat) under USA Flint system 119"wheel base [series 40 are 117"]

4 = Buick

5 = 50 series

57 = body style (which is not the same as USA model designation)

1928-1936 Canadian Data Book_a.jpg

1928-1936 Canadian Data Book_b.jpg

1928-1936 Canadian Data Book_c.jpg

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)