65 riviera dashpot bracket - Vendor conf sending wrong one

moran75

Hi All

Re. my 401 with original Carter AFB - i bought a dashpot bracket advertised to fit either a 4 bbl Carter or Rochester. But with the dashpot attached it does not make contact with the throttle...its passes just underneath ...so angle of bracket is too shallow, if that makes sense. Bracket hasnt been bent out of shape - no damage.

BTW engine runs great - choke/fast idle/idle all seem to be functioning as they should.

So although advertised as correct for either Carter or Rochester is this correct? Have i got a bracket for a Rochester?

PIA as i live overseas and by time it gets here its a small but expensive part!

Cheers
Kev

Edited by moran75 (see edit history)

Post a picture, please.

When I bought my 63, it was equipped with a 4CG Rochester.  Instead of rebuilding it, I swapped it for a Garter AFB. The dash pot and bracket were never touched and worked perfectly with each carburetor.

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

Post a picture, please.

When I bought my 63, it was equipped with a 4CG Rochester.  Instead of rebuilding it, I swapped it for a Garter AFB. The dash pot and bracket were never touched and worked perfectly with each carburetor.

Will do ASAP.....

All the best

kev

On 6/9/2020 at 9:40 PM, RivNut said:

Post a picture, please.

Few pics attached ...not a big issue as car goes fine without it..slight hint of stalling when coming off throttle quickly...but the bits cost me nearly $100 with taxes/fees/exchange rate so would quite like them to work 😀..

0513B05D-E9B0-462C-BCB3-2893E8DA4E2C.jpeg

840AAE17-B558-4202-A26A-ED3944AA1015.jpeg

068698B4-3A0E-4249-A1E4-8858099FE0D7.jpeg

B145A213-2948-4D77-83D0-7BAB6AC52BEC.jpeg

The dashpot and mounting bracket looks correct.  There is a chance that the gasket under the carb is too thick which is causing the misalignment with the throttle.  It is hard to tell from the pictures.  I have some NOS carb mounting gaskets for the Carter AFB if in fact that's what the issue is.

• Thanks 1

I understand your frustration along with the additional costs.   Even IF the gasket is too thick no big deal just bend the bracket.  As you well know this is not rocket science.

AND, by my eyes the bracket does look correct.

Tom T.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, telriv said:

An even better idea!!!!

Not a good idea...there is a projection on the bracket which indexes into a drilling on the manifold which keeps the bracket from pivoting. I would take an adjustable wrench, adjust it down so the length of the jaw grabs the bracket and bend it as suggested...might take all of 2 minutes.

Tom M

• Like 1

I'm aware of the dimple, but that would seem to be for location rather than prevention.  IOW, there's minimal torque on the bracket and hardly any pressure; is the throttle spring strong enough it to spin it against the clamping force of the bolt?

From the picture it looks like it needs about 1/2" worth of washers (or a spacer) . That bolt I believe is a 3/4" long: with the thickness of the bracket.... go searching for a new bolt, too. And then there's looking at what would be an eyesore on a regular basis. Bend it with a channel locks. Done.

19 minutes ago, KongaMan said:

Eyesore?  How much time do you spend looking underneath the air cleaner? ;) 

Hi KongaMan, I was merely saying to the original poster what I thought the easiest fix was. On a personal note I never logged my hours looking under the air cleaner, though I can with certainty say "many". Some people like mcGuiver fixes, some don't. I wouldn't get offended by it. Sorry if you do.

Just as important I don't like swaying the topic in a thread from the original posters intentions. 

sincerely, Steve

Moran,

If you'd like to compare brackets head to head, I'll send one of mine for you to try,  If it works, we can figure out something in the way of compensation; if not, you can just send it back to  me.

If you'd like to compare, send me your address via a PM.

Ed

• Like 1

Eat a bunch of Wheaties before trying to bend one of these.  To gain the advantage you're wanting, you're not going to bend on one of the existing bends. You'll be trying to put a new bend in the vertical piece.  That would entail a V notch and some welding.

• Like 1

Update - the vendor,  whose communication has been slow and not very responsive to say the least 😀 - has now confirmed (after some prompting by me thanks to comments from this thread) that he has indeed sent wrong bracket. He seems to have offered to send me the correct one - i say seemed because he's being slow /unresponsive again to my request fro clarification.

Anyway - all is good. Won't be bending anything.

Thanks all

Kev