I have a 1966 California Mustang that I purchased on the west coast two years ago and shipped it to Massachusetts. The car has a rebuilt 289 engine with a 2 barrel carb.  After driving for several minutes, and when I approach a stop sign or red light, the engine stumbles runs rough and sometimes stalls.  It starts right up but the roughness continues so I keep my foot on the accelerator and the other on the brake to keep the RPM up to prevent stalling  I have replaced the plugs, distributor cap, wires, vacuum advance, and pcv valve, gas filter,  and had the carb rebuilt.   The car is equipped with a Petronix ignition system.  After all those improvements, the car continues with the rough idle and stalling when warm.  in the morning, at start-up, the car runs beautiful for about 5 miles then the stumbling starts.  I'm at a loss about the rough running.  My local mechanic suggests I may have a vacuum leak but he hasn't found the source.  Members of the antique car club suggest I switch the Petronix system back to original points. Does that make sense?.  The car is show quality but not enjoyable to drive with this problem.  Any suggestions?

If your in Mass I can probably recommend someone to service it. It's a very simple car, and fixing it won't be difficult. 

• Like 2

I once had similar symptoms.

Ran rich, so was better till it warmed up.

Turns out that one of the floats was heavy.

18 minutes ago, jan arnett (2) said:

check vacuum hoses.

That was my first thought......and the intake gasket.

Spray WD40, or starter fluid in the engine compartment while running to see it the engine accelerates,  Spray around the hoses and manifold.  Don't use propane unless you know what you are doing.

Edited by jan arnett (2)
spelling (see edit history)
3 hours ago, edinmass said:

That was my first thought......and the intake gasket.

Thanks to everyone's advice I think I found the problem with the PCV hose that goes from the valve cover to the back of the carb.  The hose was cracked..  I changed both the hose and the PCV valve and the car now runs fine.  That was a cheap fix.

Thanks again.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, dr. james said:

Thanks to everyone's advice I think I found the problem with the PCV hose that goes from the valve cover to the back of the carb.  The hose was cracked..  I changed both the hose and the PCV valve and the car now runs fine.  That was a cheap fix.

Thanks again.

It's great fun when we can help people on line fix a running problem. Please pay the kindness forward is some way................take a young person with an interest for a ride or to a car show.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1