Great Parts Source

frenchy51

3 hours ago, frenchy51 said:

Question-Did some '64's not have the chrome strip with emblem on the hood?

Maybe customized the 64 had the “spear” and “ bombsite” taken off. I believe the 64 had the chrome strip and metal round circle with the Buick TriShield

as stock.

Turbinator

• Like 1

Just now, frenchy51 said:

I guess I never noticed '63's didn't have the hood center trim....

The 63 had a hood molding that was flat and a Buick tri-shield emblem affixed to the leading edge.  The 64 molding was concave and had the "R" hood ornament at the leading edge.

Illustrations of what Pat said in the previous post.  You will also notice a difference in the profile of the moldings from one year to the next (64 and 65 are the same)

1963 - Still a Buick

post-51036-143138199902_thumb.jpg.1876720c3c3cf0e7b53db9a1ccbea251.jpg

1964 - The Riviera name stands on it's own

buick_riviera_ho_lg_64_03.thumb.jpg.d89511de4098f47f88d348a442b3562a.jpg

Which brings up the question.

Where on the 1964 Riviera do you find "Buick" on the exterior or the interior?

Gents I think the designers did not give the emblem in the chrome strip on the hood much thought regarding what color background and TriShield. I vote for the emblem on the hood would have a black back ground with Silver TriShield. All the emblems on the 63 exterior would match.

Turbinator

38 minutes ago, Turbinator said:

Gents I think the designers did not give the emblem in the chrome strip on the hood much thought regarding what color background and TriShield. I vote for the emblem on the hood would have a black back ground with Silver TriShield. All the emblems on the 63 exterior would match.

Turbinator

One would have thought, but no. The silver/black trishield appeared in the taillight lenses and wheel centers. I guess for that initial offering Buick couldn't let go of everything at once so they kept the red white blue hood emblem. Kind of like sending your kid off to college, you let go of a little more every year, but you need to hang on to something at the start.

1 hour ago, frenchy51 said:

The only place I see BUICK on my '64 is on the air cleaner. 

I would suppose Buick had every intention of establishing the Riviera name/logo with the automobile. My only guess is starting with the 64 Riviera they wanted to brand the Riviera image in your head as opposed to Buick. But, I really don’t know why car designers do what they do other than trying to sell more product. I once heard there is no argument about personal taste. Some like it red some like it red on red. And then you see the car advertised in the newspapers ; black and white and read all over.

Turbinator

Ah, I remember my Riviera luck in the early days. Cross Border shopping into Canada back in the late 80's was a fixed $100 or so (don't want to remember). I instructed CARS not to back order anything, just delete unavailable items. Well, he back-ordered the hood emblem. When it arrived, I was slapped with duty, taxes and that $100 fixed processing fee. It's about the size of a quarter! To top it off, I used the wrong glue and most of it melted away!

Today, They seem to let shipments through that are under $100 using USPS. But Vendors prefer those greedy courier companies and their hardship fees.

I have an early '63 and it has no B U I C K on the trunk lid. It appears to be original or maybe a previous owner replaced it with with a '64? I've owned mine longer than any previous owner or, it has owned me (40 years).

Being a westerner, I'm partial to the west but Turbinator's country seems very nice. Love those rolling hills!

John B.

16 hours ago, RivNut said:

Where on the 1964 Riviera do you find "Buick" on the exterior or the interior?

I don't believe anywhere on the exterior, on the interior- the five radio buttons, and under the hood, the air cleaner and on the washer reservoir...

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Greenville PA stopped for gasoline refill. I parked my 63 Riv in front of the store with the trunk lid closed. I have the word “ B U I C K” on the trunk. A younger fellow walks up and says what kind of car is this? The power of observation!

Turbinator

On 6/10/2020 at 10:46 AM, telriv said:

I am asked all the time by some at a stoplight or wear-ever, " I've never heard of a Riviera before" who is it made by?  

So of course I say a Buick & they look kinda bewildered.

Double T, You could have some fun and say the car was made near the French Riviera?

Turbinator

On 6/10/2020 at 10:46 AM, telriv said:

I am asked all the time by some at a stoplight or wear-ever, " I've never heard of a Riviera before" who is it made by?  

So of course I say a Buick & they look kinda bewildered.

Can you imagine what you would encounter if you owned a "Reatta"?  Half the time most folks can't even pronounce it let alone who made it.