Mystery slots, pins, 31 Buick rumble compartment

Str8-8-Dave

Hi to all;  This is a mystery that I can't solve in the rumble compartment of my 1931 Buick model 8-66S.  I posted it under the "Technical" forum of the AACA site and many folks have looked at it there but I have not received any replies so thought I would try the Buick "Pre-War Technical" board to see if someone here knows what these are and how they work.  Dave39MD can't answer my questions either, even though he has an unrestored and very complete 31 Buick model 8-66S.  Both of our cars have  a couple of slots in the wooden header at the front of the rumble seat platform and next to the slots are some machined pins that have us both stumped.  Additionally, Dave has an early 30's Chevrolet sport coupe that has these same slots and pins so apparently Fisher Body used these on several different car models.  The seat cushion frames on these cars are held in place by a couple of looped wire tabs that insert into slots in another header at the rear of the seat platform.  Does anyone know what these slots do at the front of the seat platform and maybe what the pins do?  Here are some marked up pictures:

This is looking thru the golf door toward the rear of the car.  The wood header with slot and pin has an identical slot and pin on the driver's side of the car.  This header is at the front edge of the seat platform and when the seat is installed the front frame of the seat cushion sits right behind this wood header

RS 151 (2)_LI.jpg

Here is a view from the rumble compartment lid opening of the same slots and pins

RS 145 (2)_LI.jpg

These are the wire loop tabs that fit into slots in the rear seat platform header.

RS 188 (2)_LI.jpg

Here is a picture of one of the wire tabs inserted into the wood header at the rear of the seat platform

RS 189 (2)_LI.jpg

I suspect there is supposed to be something to hold the front of the seat cushion assembly down that passes thru the mystery slots at the front header and maybe whatever that is snaps over the pins on the front?  As stated above Chevrolet used it in their rumble seat coupes too but I can't find any reference to it in Chevrolet parts catalogs like that of The Filling Station or any other literature or pictures.  If anyone knows what goes in the slots and on the pins I would love to hear from you.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Edited by Str8-8-Dave
edit text (see edit history)

Wow  Bill- now we are getting someplace.  I wondered if that was what the slots and pins might be about.  I have never seen this arrangement and am very grateful to have your input.  If they are straps I would really like to know the material they are made of as well.  Thanks a ton for your response.

Dave

Dave:

Here are 3 pics from my1929 model 44 roadster, rumble seat.  First is the short strap coming off the front, lower edge of the seat cushion (there are 2 - one one each side)

Second is a close-up of the strap (which is almost torn through and bound up with tape) with a 'Lift-the-Dot' snap.

Third is the upper part of the floor of the rumble seat (under the seat cushion) with a 'Lift-the-Dot' pin which the strap presumably snaps into.  Also, a short piece of metal (one on each side) that is supposed to prevent the seat cushion from sliding forward.

No slots, unfortunately.

Let me know if there are any more shots you need.

Bill McLaughlin

1929 Silver Anniversary Buick Club

IMG_5910.jpg

IMG_5911.jpg

IMG_5912.jpg