I see a collection for sale in Vista CA, but none of them have been driven in a few years.

Are those the cars you are referring to?

There are only a couple of pics in the newsletter with little descriptions.

I have not seen Ed's old car. Is it one in this collection?

You are right.   They are all gone from the PAS website.   There was at least 6 cars and some very interesting ones.   Maybe Ed can fill us in.

16 minutes ago, alsancle said:

You are right.   They are all gone from the PAS website.   There was at least 6 cars and some very interesting ones.   Maybe Ed can fill us in.

I feel I should add.

I do not know much about these cars.

I had a doctor neighbor on my paper route when I was around 12 years old and he had one that he would roll out on weekends and I would drool over it.

It was a large touring car, I don't recall what engine it had and I never saw it run. But he had it and I loved it even though it was an unrestored and not a drivable car.

From those memories there has been a PA on my bucket list ever since.

My hobby interests went a different way for many years but the list is still there and I am ready to act before it gets to late.

I don't run with the crowds that have these cars, and I rarely see them around here.

Years ago the local scrap collector in my small town was rumored to have a couple of PAs stashed away but if I ever brought it up to him  he would deny it.

In doing some recent local investigating I found that this rumor was true.

The old boy has been gone now for many years and his cars all got sold except for one.

Another neighbor told me that a son in law has restored it and still has it. I have never seen it even in our small town but keeping my eye out.

I think its a roadster as a sister that confirmed my search told me that she went for a ride in the rumble seat recently.

My quest continues.

You are doing the right thing by watching the PAS and you might want to consider having an expert look at the cars that have sat as there’s quite possibly a great car that needs only minor work. I think there’s a lot to be said about the touring in the cars for sale section here, and the sedan on the PAS which has the very scarce headlights that are mounted funny... or normal depending on your point of view. Plus there’s usually 10+ PA’s listed on the Hemmings website at any point in time.

I literally spent a couple years finding mine  but I was looking for something in a price that I would be able to afford and enjoy without being so upside down that my wife would need food stamps once I was gone. I wasn’t planning on putting as much into it as I have but I also plan on driving it extensively once I get done. 

I wish you all the best in finding your perfect car!

AFF7FE15-80E1-45D4-9493-5A3F5B46A834.jpeg

8F935549-5B19-4231-A91C-42BA74079DBA.jpeg

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Thank You Mark,

Yes, I've seen yours on here before. She's a beauty.

And, yes I am partial to the headlights that are more common to the PA.

I like the detail on the one that Hupp has for sale and it looks to be in great shape but I am afraid that's not the car for me. The headights...Plus I think I want a bit newer.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

I wanted an original, and chased several that in the end I am happy didn’t pan out. It also gave me some perspective on some of the people selling this era vehicle and there’s one particular person that I won’t give the time of day to ever again even though I am glad that deal didn’t happen. 

If you do trip across anything that’s sat a bit get in contact with Ed Minnie and John Cislak, between them you can have it sorted out and roadworthy. Ed seems to know about many of the cars back history and faults and John specializes in the parts and repairs. Between them, and the depth of your checkbook, you should be able to have anything you want in a Pierce.

I doubt that I will see anything that you might not, but will let you know if I do. Good luck!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Thanks Mark, Yes I have seen this one.

There was some discussion here about the color a few weeks ago.

It looks to be a pretty good deal, however I don't much care for the loud color combination.

I guess a guy could repaint over at least one of those colors.

The seller says good paint with some crazing.

After looking again there are a couple of not so good places on the paint.

Says rebuilt engine and trans as well, but the engine bay looks dirty.

The price seems reasonable, as it is what it is.

• Like 2

It’s one that Ed might know something about, the rebuild may be getting on in years as I agree it’s pretty dirty, but I think it’s reasonably priced. Plan to add $7500 or so for a repaint and having the engine looked into Is a good idea...

Edited by Mark Wetherbee (see edit history)
24 minutes ago, vintagerodshop said:

I have this one for sale. 1931 Model 43.

IMG_7993.thumb.JPG.9c46db719622acb5ae312438c8d611c3.JPG

This is a very nice automobile, and has always been an above average car. The current owner sorted and improved it even more. I haven’t seen it since the 90’s, but it still sooks great.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, vintagerodshop said:

I have this one for sale. 1931 Model 43.

IMG_7993.thumb.JPG.9c46db719622acb5ae312438c8d611c3.JPG

Drool.  The car that almost makes me wish I didn’t have one just like it, I’d want this one.  The engine was done by the best in the business....or was the best in the business, departed now...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, vintagerodshop said:

Hi @alsancle I am doing well. Just trying to get a couple of cars screwed togeather, and keeping my head down.

Too bad we are gonna miss Pebble this year.

• 3 weeks later...

I am still looking and am a cash shopper.

I hate the no reply thing.

When a seller offers up a car and one askes the price but gets no response does it mean he doesn't take the shopper seriously or is he simply asking to much and is embarrassed ?

Fact is I am seeing six digit PAs  for sale and probably won't buy one of those. But I am sure there is a car out there for me somewhere.

Posted (edited)

I didn't much care for the colors on this one, but it looks like a pretty good deal.

Does anyone know if it sold?

I get no reply.

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1330375/1933-pierce-arrow-836-for-sale-in-cave-creek-az-85331?utm_medium=email&utm_source=transactional&utm_campaign=buyer-inquiry-confirmation

1933 Pierce-Arrow 836 (CC-1330375) for sale in Cave Creek, AZ

7 minutes ago, BlueDevil said:

This 1932 EDL V12 was available thru the club

h7r42nfw7mceyyspajh2ivogdurr5j1k.jpg

I have been watching the PAS and didn't see this one.

Unless you are referring to a different club.

That's a good looking ride.

I could be talked into a V12 if the deal was right, however I have been advised against them.

I believe that if I can score a car that is well sorted out and ready to drive I could maintain it easy enough.

1932 Pierce Arrow’s are my favorite year, that said, it’s a one year only model..........nothing fits unless it’s off of a 1932, which makes owning them a challenge for experienced collectors.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, edinmass said:

1932 Pierce Arrow’s are my favorite year, that said, it’s a one year only model..........nothing fits unless it’s off of a 1932, which makes owning them a challenge for experienced collectors.

I will take this advice.

49 minutes ago, BlueDevil said:

Jack,

It is on the Message Board under BUY/SELL forum of the Pierce Arrow Society

Bill

Thank You, I found it.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 9:12 AM, JACK M said:

Thank You, I found it.

The seller is MIA.

No replies and only a recording with no reply there either.

I have searched the web every day for a few weeks and everywhere I look its the same cars.

Either out of my range, funky color or not really available. (many not available)

I hope I find one soon before I do something stupid.

Thanks for this OD.

I don't think I want an open car and would like to get newer as well.

Seems there are a lot of green cars for sale. :mellow:

Keep em coming, the right one will show up sooner than later would be nice.

I wonder if that paint job is original?  Those fenders are so bright against that dark body.  that it's like looking at the sun to try to see what the body actually looks like. 

6 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I wonder if that paint job is original?  Those fenders are so bright against that dark body.  that it's like looking at the sun to try to see what the body actually looks like. 

I'd say that is VERY unlikely...it's more like the "circus wagon" school of 1970s restorations. And, yes I've heard the "you could get any color you wanted" but the folks that were buying Pierce arrows in the 20s were very unlikely to want to call attention to their bad taste in colors.

The paint is copying a color ad from 1930 on a dual cowl car. He has added contrast. Flat earth tone pastels would be much more correct. A nice shade of dark barf green with a bad yellow / off white would be right on the money.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, edinmass said:

John.......ALL Pierce Arrow’s are great cars. Not opinion, just fact. 😎

Not many CCCA cars out there in this decent of condition for 39K - especially "open" cars (even green ones). And yes, I have always heard they are incredibly high build quality. 

The Coronado CA Series 80 serial number is listed as 801175 which would indicate it was built in 1924 (first number was 801001, produced in July, sold in August), BUT... the Company screwed the pooch as it were by not using the second 500 of each 1,000 numbers until 3,000.  That is, the first cars were 801001 thru 801500, then 802001-802500; there was a full usage of numbers in the 3000s, viz., 803001-803999.  This may have been to make industry publications think they were producing and selling twice as many cars as they actually were.  I'd want to check whether this was serial or engine number, although I think both followed that skip-the-second-500 practice.  The year MODEL is 1925.

Also, the catalog shows 7-p tourings as available ONLY with fixed soft tops, but I know of a couple of others with truly collapsible tops, which were almost certainly special-ordered.

Finally, the light-colored fenders make me crazy!  I'd repaint them black as God intended and the as Company painted them for all body colors--except for special orders, of course.

• Like 1