58L-Y8

Twin-H Power - pros and cons.

For those of us not familiar with the Twin-H Power pros and cons in operation and maintenance, your experiences and perspectives would be appreciated.

Benefits of AACA Membership.

My 47 Hudson Pickup had it on it when I bought it.  Has a 49 engine and a 54 Twin H setup I believe from the casting numbers.  I rebuilt the carbs and it runs great.  Can't see any negative to it once you dial it in. It runs well and has great power.  If you are looking to buy an intake/exhaust manifold, I do know you have to watch to make sure it's not cracked.   

As with any multiple carburetion, you MUST balance the carbs.   Owning a "Uni-Sync" balancer is important.   All good after that.

It's been tears ago, but my brother ran Hudsons for several of their last years production, to 1954, , always buying all the power he could incl Twin-H...Seven-X engine sound familiar??...anyway, a performane lover, drove fast and hard (Texas/NM), the only complaint i remember being that the U-joints couldn't handle the power, so the Twins must've been fine.

There is not thing negative about a twin -H setup. They need to be dialled in just like any other multi carb set up. I get 18 mpg all day long. A blast to drive. 

Posted (edited)

Carter WA-1 carburetors. Leather accelerator pumps, so ethanol contaminated fuel doesn't hurt the pump.

Excellent carbs.

If you are buying a set or piecing together a set, be aware they were used on three different size engines, so there are different sized carbs.

The ones for the 308 are the most difficult to find, and the most expensive.

As others have said, they MUST be synchronized, but that is an easy procedure; and once synchronized, just leave them alone.

Quality set-up.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Like 1