Reproduction Parts for Fords

Got the A back on the road this weekend.  In reflecting on the work done, most issues so far have been related to repro parts quality.  Horn rod, brake rods, anti rattler springs for brake rods, and some minor hardware fit issues.  Parts were all close, but not perfect.  Horn rod, brake rods US made.  Starter pushrod fits, is functional and replaces my poorly repaired broken original, but is flimsy in comparison, not a hefty part like the original.  Made in Tiawan. 

So the early Ford owner is both blessed and cursed by the repro parts industry.  It's easy to see why high point cars using few if any repro parts cost so much to build.  Great to be on the road again though! 🙂

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I've always had good luck with either Snyders or Brattons parts. Repro parts today are a lot better than 40 years ago when most of them came from India. Still, you will find some that do need a bit of tweeking, but you'll find that in almost all repro parts. I can't figure out why they can't seem to get it right even when they have the part as a pattern. Best to source out for original parts when you can.

• Like 2

Agree on all fronts, those are my two favorite suppliers, along with A&L who are local, but I understand scaling back and getting away from their limited retail line. Waiting for the post Covid sell off.  If Allan closes all together it will be a big loss for Model A folks. 

This is a shot of the Victoria I traded into around 1990 (If I recall correctly) and sold in 2013.

It looked about like this when I got it but took a few years to 'sort out'.

Except for some of the interior trim parts which are specific to Vics and the A400 models I used Snyders and Brattons and was very pleased.

With Model B intake, carb and distributor and Snyder's 'hi-compression' head and high speed gears it kept up with traffic nicely.

Enjoy the Model A.

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin

You can always make your own parts as I do at times. I needed a bracket to hold the E&J generator to the running board on my 12 so I made my own from a sample of a friends. They are $185. for a repro so I made a fixture + some patterns so I made 3 of them, giving one to the fellow for the loaned part. Anyone need one $100 + shipping  as I have an extra.   

2020-03-22 E & J 002.JPG

2020-03-22 E & J 001.JPG

2020-03-22 E & J 006.JPG

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Steve, I was on a tour out of Mystic a few years ago with my Special Coupe when the timing gear stripped in Woodstock, CT.  Called Tams in Woostah and he offered to bring it down to me in Woodstock.  I have had good luck from Snyder's but don't overlook Tams, He is good too.  John

Hi John!  Tam's is on my list as well.  Plus he sets up at Rhinebeck & Hershey regularly, always manage to buy a few things...

JD, nice truck.  Have not used Macs recently, I know opinions vary but I personally have had no problems.  I do not have exp. with the other guys you mentioned.  No pics of offending parts but here is one of the work done on my car. 

20200522_183717.jpg

I have always bought via Gaslight Auto (as I know the owner and can call him to  often call first to discuss part - not that I work on Model A's too much, but periodically a friend asks for help).  

Generally speaking, most parts seem to be mediocre quality when just bought without doing homework and unfortunately a friend who did MARC cars is now deceased as it was great to give him a quick call and he always had a thought on where to get a this or a that.  

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, JD in CA said:

Steve, how about a photo or two?  What is your opinion on Mac’s and C&G?  

I just got this ‘30 pick up two days ago, and need just a few items.  Note it’s an early 30 with 29 cab, full history since new.

150F2004-69C8-4B2B-BE3C-C01932F472E4.jpeg

6D9515BE-32CD-4D83-83DD-E5D0C431E5E4.jpeg

Your truck is SWEET!  I've owned a late-30 but I'd love to have a "square" cab.

13 hours ago, JD in CA said:

Steve, how about a photo or two?  What is your opinion on Mac’s and C&G?  

I just got this ‘30 pick up two days ago, and need just a few items.  Note it’s an early 30 with 29 cab, full history since new.

150F2004-69C8-4B2B-BE3C-C01932F472E4.jpeg

6D9515BE-32CD-4D83-83DD-E5D0C431E5E4.jpeg

That's interesting - 29 fenders, hood, radiator, etc.  Would love to know more about it.  Was it actually a 29 not sold or registered until 30?

Terry 

here is information I was gathering upon purchase of the pickup../

This Closed Cab Pickup is a bonified 1930 Closed Cab Pickup with the ORIGINAL gas tank which has the 1930 style twist-on gas cap (not screw-on) and other approprate items refelecting the early 1930 era of commercial vehicles. This body style went thru May 1930 when the new version of the Closed Cab was released by Ford.

It was originally bought new (more than likely at the Thomas "Ford" Dealership in Walla Walla, Wa) and owned by my fathers first cousin who used the pickup up to about 1962-1964 on his dryland wheat farm just 2 miles up river from our farm on the Touchet River, west of Walla Walla, WA. I remember this pickup sitting in his barn for many years after that till my brother bought it about 1977 or there abouts.

It was then sold it to a guy in Walla Walla, WA about 1994.

After the restoration, it sat in this guys shed for many years after...he hardly drove it.

It was then sold to the new owner about 2019.

Case closed.

Pluck

Default Re: So is this pick up a 29 or a 30 ?

Digger,
I would be interested when the engine was stamped for your new truck. I also have an early 30 with a late February engine date and it has 21" wheels and the 1929 bumper. (Where as yours has 19" wheels and a 1930 bumper) Mine does have the 30 steering wheel, headlights and of course the newer version gas tank with the twist off gas cap like yours.
The Early 30 trucks are very interesting as I have seen several different variations. (Including one like yours that was on the east side of the country) You will enjoy the number of Model A "experts" that will critique your truck and tell you that it has a 1930, (or wrong gas tank) and point out everything else that is wrong with it. I run 1930 license plates on mine and always hear guys talking about how its a 28 or 29 and that the plates are wrong.
Have Fun with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post
Great thank you for the history. I did go ahead and buy this pick up, super excited about it. Do you happen to have any old historical photos of it, since it was in the family? Thank you
I do but will have to find it...might take awhile as I am helping a friend of mine with his dryland wheat farm.

If you do not hear from me in awhile...please remind me again.

The photo is just of the top of the cab with the couple who owned it...I can not remember if it shows the gas cap or not.

Email me at pif@bmi.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post
Great thank you for the history. I did go ahead and buy this pick up, super excited about it. Do you happen to have any old historical photos of it, since it was in the family? Thank you
I do but will have to find it...might take awhile as I am helping a friend of mine with his dryland wheat farm.

If you do not hear from me in awhile...please remind me again.

The photo is just of the top of the cab with the couple who owned it...I can not remember if it shows the gas cap or not.

It is interesting but there were three Model A pickups in that area. The first was a 1928-1929 Open Cab just two miles down river from our house; a 1928-1929 Closed Cab at our house; and the 1930 Closed Cab up the river from our house.

The photo of the pickup in front of the mural was taken on September 20, 2019 in Lewiston, Idaho during my Smooth Rider Tour.

To view the home and the barn for which it called home for all those years...Google 12650 Touchet North Road, Touchet, WA.

Email me at pif@bmi.net

Pluck

Bob Williams in Carleton Va. had a original 1930 AA Dump Truck that he bought from the owner in Poquoson Va. Bob seen this truck when he was a child in Poquoson in the 30s and 40s. It had a 1930 truck body, 1930 type gas cap, 1930 hood and grill with 1929 fenders. This truck, from what we had seen was as built by ford in 1930 and had never been altered. Ford never wasted a scrap, look at the history of Kingsford charcoal

Before you can tell someone that it is or isn't an Early 1930 you have to know that they did exist and how to spot them. The cab change didn't take place until June 1930. So all of the early 1930's used the 1929 style sheet metal yet had all the 1930 chassis improvements. Right off hand I can see it has 1930 steering wheel. Check to see that it also has the '30 steering.The side view mirror is mounted mid way on the door post. Later made Early '30's had a twist lock gas cap instead of a screw on. The used 1930 style headlamps that are painted black. Everything I see in your pictures show me that this is an Early 1930.

John Dillon, Sr
Pacific Grove, CA

• Like 1