Rehoming Buttercup

NC-car-guy

9 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

Out of the Buick business. That's a hoot. There will be another. 😃

Chris,

I appreciate Matt's position.  I am out too.  I lost over $200,000 on the cars I owned over the years.  I did not do it smart. But at some point, some of us need to move on to other interests.  I have thought about re-joining the BCA IF (big IF) I could be a passenger in cars at national meets.  I would even judge!  If I could get 10 rides in old Buicks at the National, and spread the years around, why not!  I told Brian D I wanted a ride in his 1938 Slantback and he said "ride!, I'll let you drive it."

The bottom line is the old car hobby is expensive, overall, and there are several levels since I started in 1977.  Those who got in early, saw their cars appreciate at about 5% annum, and then skyrocket in the speculation years of the late 80's.   That however, put many newer buyers at a disadvantage.  The older folks went cha-ching! and would not sell at "reasonable" prices to younger members. 

This coincided with a surge of families moving to suburbs where dismantling a car in the garage was highly discouraged.  

Now, at 56 I have the money, I suppose, to afford a car or two, but just feel a bit burned out.   Now - with aging and a general surplus of cars on the market, a collector can buy a couple of cars for $20,000 to $25,000 - or in some cases less, and enjoy the old car hobby.  So you are probably correct in your statement.  My problem is that I could never seem to be happy with what I had, which in turn led to selling everything and starting over.  That's where the loss comes in. 

But there is something really appealing about just being a member and asking those who drive their cars to a BCA National if I can sit or ride in their cars!  Costs me nothing! woo hoo. 

B Morgan,

For me and certainly many it's a hobby. No matter the hobby it's going to have costs involved. I understand moving on to other interests. Just another forthcoming cost. Boating. Hole in the water. Golf. Green fees and cart. Remote control cars and boats (another hobby of mine). You get the picture. Pick your poison. Everyone has/needs a hobby. Most hobbies are a losing proposition when it comes to money spent. As they say in the remote control airplane hobby, don't fall in love with your first plane because you will watch it crash and burn at your own hands. I have been there and stick with remote control boats. None have sunk along with the cash put into it! 

At any rate, it can be very frustrating continuously dumping money into a vehicle. Been there with a VW. What nightmares are made of. But once completed, it's keeping it clean and enjoying it. With that said, one never knows what lurks in a garage down the lane that will take nothing to get it going and even less to purchase. 

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

On 6/12/2020 at 4:41 PM, Mark Shaw said:

Matt,

Kudos to you for going the distance to honestly represent this car for sale.  👍

I agree wholeheartedly.  Your ad was as honest as

any ad could be.  Such forthrightness benefits our

entire hobby, and rewards you.  I'm glad to hear you sold it.

I might have estimated $8000 for your interesting sedan.

Occasionally we've seen on the AACA forum similar cars

realistically priced.  A c. 1956 Oldsmobile 98 sedan comes to

mind--a fine well-preserved original car--and it may have 

been around $6000.

4 hours ago, lancemb said:

He's been postin ads for 55s, which means he's looking.  Looking leads to temptation.  But hey, there are far worse temptations!

Darn right about worse temptations.  Thankfully I'm not a politician so the ones I've indulged will never come to light.  Like the time I was tempted to stick a bigger motor in the car than it came with, or the time I did a secret modification to an HPOF. Oh, nevermind!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

Pick your poison.

You should pick your passion.  Just because it is a neat old car does not mean that you will have any real feelings for it and at that point any work on the car becomes a chore, along with some rage when it lets you down.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, old-tank said:

You should pick your passion.  Just because it is a neat old car does not mean that you will have any real feelings for it and at that point any work on the car becomes a chore, along with some rage when it lets you down.

I understand when these cars old and newish become a chore and source of aggravation.  I have had my a few let downs!  I also understand when they run well and require a cleaning every now and then, it is nice to have them.    Sometimes the passion fizzles as it becomes a source of a stress and not pleasure.   My passion to learn to fly a remote control planes fizzled on my first less than stellar flight into the ground.  I stick to ground and water RC.  My neighbor passion is RC jets.  Talk about costly!     

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, NC-car-guy said:

I'll always have a soft spot for 55s as that was my 1st.   But it will be a while.

Just read your posts about Buttercup. Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience! 

I know what you mean about having a passion for the 55s. I was looking for a mid-50s car, any make/model, when I came across a Buick Century for sale. I was smitten! I had never seen a car that had so many features that I did not even know I was looking for.

Hope you find something when the time is right!

Alex

@B Jake Moran is a rarity.  I don't see how it's possible to not own an old car yet remain in the hobby.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it.  It's just that I could never do it. 

If I ever sell all my cars and parts for good you won't see me here.  It's like a drug addict leaving rehab and hanging out with all his old friends while they get high, but staying clean; rarely does this work.

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

On 7/17/2020 at 7:55 AM, John_S_in_Penna said:

I might have estimated $8000 for your interesting sedan.

SERIOUSLY? The interior alone is worth that and more. I personally think the $15,000 asking price was on the mark.

What do people get out of throwing a value on a car after a sale, when the new owner may well be a member of the forum, possibly paid the asking price or close and may now be wondering "What the" and maybe even before taking delivery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 7/19/2020 at 8:56 AM, lancemb said:

@B Jake Moran is a rarity.  I don't see how it's possible to not own an old car yet remain in the hobby.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it.  It's just that I could never do it. 

If I ever sell all my cars and parts for good you won't see me here.  It's like a drug addict leaving rehab and hanging out with all his old friends while they get high, but staying clean; rarely does this work.

It true. Even if manufacturers are changed.  Once new  a fella with a 54.  Was very active on the 1954 Buick Highway site.  Sold the 54 and purchased a 57 Caddy. Last I have seen him on any Buick site once the Caddy was in the barn.    

10 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

when the new owner may well be a member of the forum, possibly paid the asking price or close and may now be wondering "What the" and maybe even before taking delivery.

Good point, I'd never thought of that. We all have opinions and can read the value guides.  At the end of the day it is simply supply and demand.  I've seen things go surprisingly high and surprisingly low before.  The new owner was shown the buttercup build thread and is well aware of her flaws. He wanted a car like his dad had.  I was not firm on the price. Emotions are a b**** when it comes to buying some things. Ask me about 55 Buicks or AMC eagle wagons.  😁

Edited by NC-car-guy (see edit history)

53 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

SERIOUSLY? The interior alone is worth that and more. I personally think the $15,000 asking price was on the mark.

Of course, SERIOUSLY.  

Thankfully, there are a lot of affordable cars out there,

and in the AACA buy-sell category we're seeing many good values

in the current market.  Great for a newcomer to the hobby, or for

anyone looking to further his interest by acquiring another car.

Like so many of us, I too have cars--for instance, valued at $7000--

where just the thin paint film is equal to the value of the car, and

the sheet metal, chrome, engine, transmission, and interior

come along for free!

On 7/17/2020 at 2:05 PM, avgwarhawk said:

....   My passion to learn to fly a remote control planes fizzled on my first less than stellar flight into the ground...    

Take a look at the Flite Test website, they offer free plans for airplanes built from Dollar Tree foam board.   A complete airframe will cost between 2 and 6 dollars.  Or they offer precut kits.   Electronics will run about $100 plus radio.  Build the plane, crash it, pull the electronics and put it in the next one.  I’ve built several and they are great flyers.    Below are my two Spitfires and a store bought powered sailplane.  

E9F6DFDE-BABA-4923-810E-317F5B723236.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally, after over a month, the new owner has shipping and they are picking up the car tonight.  She'll be riding enclosed to Port Townsend, WA with her new sister, a 1926 Rolls Royce.  I will drive it one final time, to the wal-mart parking lot where the transport truck will pick it up.  Luckily I waited to load her up and didn't leave all those heavy boxes to sag on her suspension.  I do hope the new owner is happy with the car and will join here.

• Like 8