1923 Gray 1 ton Truck Rear Wheel Hubs

Niall

I am restoring a 1923 Gray 1 ton truck but am missing the the rear wheel hubs. These hubs have 8 bolts that go through the hub flange, wooden spokes and the brake drum. My truck has a Timken Detroit Axle Company (TDA) differential which i guess was used on all of the Gray trucks as well as other makes of 1 ton trucks from this era.

I would like to obtain 2 of these hubs, but would be happy just to get 1 so that I can then get another hub moulded. If you cannot help with the parts, any information on where I may possibly obtain these hubs or names of other trucks that used this same differential, would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, if you can supply the hubs, please advise if you will ship overseas, as I live in Queensland ,Australia.

Unfortunately, I do not have a photo of the rear hub. The hubs I got with the truck turned out to be the 6 bolt type used for the cars and coupes which had internal brake shoes, whereas the truck had the external type brake band.

I have attached an image of the truck differential taken from the Gray Parts List catalogue which may give you some idea of what this hub looked like.

Thanks for your contact, it is greatly appreciated.

Gray Truck Diff.jpg

From the picture you posted it appears that a set of Ford model TT truck hubs would be good substitutions. The bolt pattern suggests 6 through bolts, as the Ford hub has. I have a loose hub with brake I could measure for you. I am about as far away from you as one can get but I can provide this hub if interested.

Due to the rarity of these Gray vehicles, both in the USA and overseas, I have considered converting my truck over to the TT Ford rear end, but was hoping that I may be able to keep my truck fully original with the correct differential.

A friend up the road from me has a TT Ford truck and he has offered to get me another differential should I decide to go that way. These trucks were quite popular down under.

Thanks for your offer of help, but I will just wait a bit longer to see if anyone comes up with an original hub.

Kind Regards,

Niall