Lydia

My grandfather's car around 1915

I do not know the make of this car.  I remember my father telling me it had a winter cover and that could be taken off for it to become a convertible.  Here you see it in both of those ways.

I would like to know what the make of it is!  Thank you.

P6020384.JPG

P6020383.JPG

• Like 1

Benefits of AACA Membership.

I do not know the make of this car.  I remember my father telling me it had a winter cover and that could be taken off for it to become a convertible.  Here you see it in both of those ways.

I would like to know what the make of it is!  Thank you.

It is a Packard. About 1914/1915

john

• Like 2

Looks like he had two different bodies for the car, unless he had two cars?  I have heard that some people did have car bodies that could be interchanged but for that big Packard it looks like there would have been a lot of work involved.  Of course the owner probably had a chauffeur/mechanic to handle that.

Terry

Posted (edited)

Packard......it was common for people to purchase two bodies and swap them out for summer/winter. Usually they lived near the dealership. Usually only done on very expensive chassis.....Packard, Pierce, Peerless......Ext. Very nice car. Here is a similar car today.

977C3803-5E58-45E1-9A8E-71659037DEC8.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Hi Lydia,

Indeed, not just a "Winter cover" ; that very expensive car really did have two separate bodies. Actually, not too terribly difficult to remove and re-mount for seasonal use. One period option some owners found convenient, as this was done more often than one might think. Would you regard this as a somewhat extravagant luxury ? Or  : perhaps a wise and frugal practice to avoid the necessity of owning separate winter and summer cars ?

Welcome to AACA forums, and thank you very much for posting ! I took the two Cadillac alternative. The newer "Winter Car" is a 1927 with the expensive optional factory heater, VERY effective ! The older, the convertible, is a1924. The only times it has ever been Winter driven in its almost century of use, has been on rare, totally dry days, with occupants dressed appropriately. These well-preserved old cars have never been restored ! Do you think there is any chance your grandfather's Packard survived ?   -   Carl 

E75EBE1E-F124-4CD9-860C-19F7EEB76AC2.jpeg

44FAA817-66B8-4703-AACE-DFC05A85BBFE.jpeg

Edited by C Carl
Remove one redundant word (see edit history)
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Lydia said:

...Here you see it in both of those ways.

Lydia, the picture that you must have tried to attach

did not show up.  There are many experts here who

will be happy to help, but we will need the picture.

Here's a better look at the Packard in its summer and winter bodies.  When people bought an expensive car such as a Packard, they planned on using it year round.  Dealers offered the body swap and storage services to those upscale customers. 

'14 Packard touring - summer body.jpg

'14 Packard touring - winter body.jpg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Thanks for posting these two photographs together.   Arguably, the most interesting "comparison" photos I've seen in ages.

The body appears to have two sections, front & rear, for 'easy' removal.  I also suspect the cowl including the dashboard remains fixed in place, though its rather hard to determine in the photographs.  I wonder how many hours was required for the seasonal body changeover.  (On a different note, the 2004 & newer Ford F150 truck cabs are designed to be removed to perform major engine service, and a good mechanic can have one removed in 20 minutes with the proper equipment.)   If the owner of the Packard was changing from the open to closed body for winter and the next door neighbor was taking down the screens and putting up all his storm windows on his house, which would take less time??

Now I know why "The Carriage House" behind higher-end estate homes from 100+ years ago were a LOT bigger and taller than a standard double garage one sees today!!

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hello John,  

Being new here, I will have to get with the program.  I did post the photos, but apparently they didn't show up?!

Down at the bottom of this window it says 'choose files' and that's what I did to get my photos up.  I will try again now.

Same car in winter and then in summer without the amazing top on it!

Lydia

P6020383.JPG

P6020384.JPG

Those are beautiful old photos. I have read a lot of articles on old cars over the years and this is the first time I have ever heard of a seasonal body swap. Very interesting. Your grandfather must have been very well off to have an automobile of that caliber. 

• Like 1

since the bodies appear to be two piece, is it possible to mount the winter rear with the summer front to make a town car version?  Anyone have ideas on who the coachbuilder was?

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, bryankazmer said:

since the bodies appear to be two piece, is it possible to mount the winter rear with the summer front to make a town car version? 

I thought of that, but the front of the rear section would be completely open, and the seal from above the front seat would be totally visible.  I would also wonder if the contour and length of both sections where they meet in the middle are the same between the two different bodies, and would accommodate interchangability.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

Looks like two different cars with the front doors being hinged on opposite sides for one. Plus the belt line and firewall  are different.  Would have to be two different body's I would think if it is the same chassis. 

Hello Joe and thank you!  It definitely does look like two different cars until one carefully looks at the front and back of both and see all the same parts!

Lydia

I can't imagine what it took to change out the summer/winter parts.  Well I guess it was grandpa's toy!  

Lydia

It was a neat concept and is rare to see in photos today.

At the very start of the 1910 model year in late 1909 even Ford suggested this in their advertising but it seems to have gone no further than that.

Harrisburg_Telegraph_Sat__Aug_21__1909_.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Thanks for posting these two photographs together.   Arguably, the most interesting "comparison" photos I've seen in ages.

The body appears to have two sections, front & rear, for 'easy' removal.  I also suspect the cowl including the dashboard remains fixed in place, though its rather hard to determine in the photographs.  I wonder how many hours was required for the seasonal body changeover.  (On a different note, the 2004 & newer Ford F150 truck cabs are designed to be removed to perform major engine service, and a good mechanic can have one removed in 20 minutes with the proper equipment.)   If the owner of the Packard was changing from the open to closed body for winter and the next door neighbor was taking down the screens and putting up all his storm windows on his house, which would take less time??

Now I know why "The Carriage House" behind higher-end estate homes from 100+ years ago were a LOT bigger and taller than a standard double garage one sees today!!

Craig

In addition to dealers who offered the services, the chauffeur would be task with changing the bodies as the season warranted, carriage houses were equipped with a hoist designed to lift the body without damage.  Seasonally, the body not in use would be sent to the coachbuilder or a reputable body shop for re-varnishing or full repainting plus other repairs if needed.  Recall this was the era of laborious brush-applied primers, paints and varnishes which had relatively poor durability when exposed to the elements.

Whether the bodies were designed to enable combining the driver's compartment with the rear tonneau will have to be answered by others...Walt?     

• Like 1

Dear all of you responding to my question!

Thank you so much for all this that I am learning, and things I am getting to chuckle about.  LOVE IT.  I do have other photos of the car which I can post eventually.

So do we think this is a Lincoln?  

In the photos, it does appear that there is a chauffeur.  In the photo with the top off, is my grandmother in a BIG hat!

Lydia

9 minutes ago, Lydia said:

Dear all of you responding to my question!

Thank you so much for all this that I am learning, and things I am getting to chuckle about.  LOVE IT.  I do have other photos of the car which I can post eventually.

So do we think this is a Lincoln?  

In the photos, it does appear that there is a chauffeur.  In the photo with the top off, is my grandmother in a BIG hat!

Lydia

As stated, the car is a Packard.

• Like 1

Yes, it was a Packard.  I can not only see that, but somehow, rising from my memory banks is my dad telling me that!

Thanks,

Lydia

4 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

My question is does anyone know of a winter body that survived intact?

There was a Collector named Benson in Maine That allowed a small group to visit his collection years ago, he had a summer/winter bodied car in that collection which was on the same scale as the Packard pictures but I don’t remember what make it was. It took up a LOT of space!