Pierce-Arrow mascot on eBay, who wants a good laugh?

I bought a parts car in Iowa about ten years ago. The owner insisted the mascot with a broken armwas worth 2500 dollars in that condition. I offered to let him keep it for a 1500 price reduction over the agreed to price.....he went for it! We ate very well for the rest of the trip on the found 1500 savings............Its a strange hobby!

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've given up trying to be helpful to those ebay nutz cases who know it all. I used to let sellers know their "rare early" Stanley Steamer watch fobs could still be bought from Vintage Steam Products for $22, but the responses I got ranged from "how do you know this one is fake? To the absolute best one ever - "well I sold the other one I had for $1000 last week."

Just because it came out of an old collection, or an estate, or wherever, that doesn't mean a thing. Just the other day a well intentioned friend gave me one as a gift. I'll be forever grateful for the kind thought and someday, when my collection is sold off (unless I can figure out how to take it with me), someone will get it "out of an old collection."

I also have Pierce Arrow archer, found in an antique shop being used as part of a desk lamp. $15.

Terry

• 2 months later...

I stopped telling EBAY sellers about fakes, reproductions, etc. years ago. They all think they have the greatest thing since sliced bread, even after you point out what makes the item a fake. I always tried to be very tactful, but sometimes I would loss my cool.

• Like 1

I should know better too, but it was so far out of left field in both descriptions and price that I really thought it was a complete novice and not one of the thousands of predatory yahoos out there...

Iwas wrong, but I didnt do anything but laugh at him and pass that joke onto this forum I still think its funny...

Anybody else care to send a note about this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1907-1909-Excelsior-Auto-Cycle-Motorcycle-Watch-Fob-Club-Member-Advertising-WF-7/353176382592?hash=item523af3ec80:g:4dkAAOSwInxfPoEa

It's a common fantasy fob for the Excelsior "Auto cycle." There are at least two or three on evil-bay at any given moment. Right now, two show up both with buy-it-now prices of $24.95 and $39.99, but no takers. Or-you can also buy this one now for only $1,250.00.

Makes me wanna laugh, after I finish puking.

Terry

Excelsior Fob.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 8/19/2020 at 1:39 PM, 28 Chrysler said:

There was a $650 antique mantel clock on Craig's List. "Over 100 years old, works great , needs a new battery"

Reminds me of the guy asking if there were any photographs of the burning of Washington in 1812.

One of the forums I belong to used to have a sub-forum titled "as seen on e-bay" where members posted links to outrageous listings.

I do remember one response that went something like "...how dare you question an e-bay seller"...as if selling on ebay automatically made you an expert. There's no cure for stupid.

Personally, I wouldn't bother. It's very hard to combat wishful thinking.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • 2 months later...
On 8/19/2020 at 1:50 PM, Terry Bond said:

This one continues to make me laugh. Seller has had it listed for a couple of years now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Antique-Automobile-servicing-candle-holder-of-20s/202900864638?hash=item2f3dd57e7e:g:LtEAAOSwT2daLrn~

there are other items out there too - how many can you find?

Terry

I like that it is being shipped from India.

On 6/8/2020 at 7:53 PM, Mark Wetherbee said:

I hope something of that importance winds up in the Pierce-Arrow museum, and I expect theres someone somewhere that would pay big $$$$$ for the original sketches!

The originals still exist.........and yes........I have copies. I have never seen them anywhere else. When I die, call John Cislak and he will happily give them to you....he isnt into literature.