1931 Plymouth Convertible coupe "Container Find"

dpcdfan

Getting ready to pull out a 31 Plymouth PA convertible coupe which has been stored in a container the past 25 years. Dual side mount car with luggage rack and rumble seat. Some of the convertible top irons are missing, but overall a super solid car with great "bones." This came from the same place as the 31 Plymouth roadster and others I pulled from long time storage in a shed.

IMG_5006.jpg

IMG_5007.jpg

IMG_5008.jpg

IMG_5009.jpg

IMG_5005.jpg

IMG_4998.jpg

IMG_4999.jpg

IMG_5001.jpg

IMG_5002.jpg

IMG_5004.jpg

Edited by dpcdfan (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Well I'm starting to get a big smile on my face --can't wait to see car out side and good pictures --- i have a boy that lives about a hundred miles from you and have started thinking about the trip out after it -- just need to get together and chat about it. will be setting up time to call you -----Allan

• Like 2

14 hours ago, 32plywood said:

Well I'm starting to get a big smile on my face --can't wait to see car out side and good pictures --- i have a boy that lives about a hundred miles from you and have started thinking about the trip out after it -- just need to get together and chat about it. will be setting up time to call you -----Allan

Allan... Should have it out in a couple of days. I'll keep you posted. Thanks, Gary

• 5 months later...

I just purchased the 31 convertible from San Bernadino. It looks like I need seat parts for the rumble seat right off and the main seat. Will have to figure it out as I go through it. Of course things will be missing I am going to start by overhauling the engine. Is there a spec book available on this 196 engine? 

It was for sale on Craigs list I have had suspicion it is same car but mine is more complete so I don't know . Just seems odd two of these for sale in same County. Anyway it is somewhat disassembled so I may need some idea where some of these parts go. I am going to go through the engine first. Where are you located? I am in Oceanside

I live in Iowa  near Des Moines    ---  I took lots of pictures  and will be glad to help -- I could use top wood made and or patterns from someone's old set to do new wood for mine.     I may have springs for upper rumble seat --- may be able to help id parts as I have been working on the PA cars for a long time ---- could you put up a picture of the car --AK

yes this is a roadster --- this car was part of the group pulled from storage after 25 years.     it was all apart and Gary put the cars together to sell. I went out to look at the convertible coupe he had and also looked at this roadster before he sold it .  I think he still has the convertible last I talked to him.  Both cars need to be restored.  Allan

• Like 1

I found main clearance data.   This why most people replace the engine. No longer practical and then of course there always is the carburetor problem. I hate to rod this car. it is in way too good of condition. It is an engine decision. I can get a Toyota 22R motor but then with more power comes rear axle replacement and suspension problems.   I am also wondering what replacement wood to use inside Maybe redwood wood be best?

19 hours ago, 31Jalopy said:

Thanks Allan . I had figured it was probably from that group. It is very obvious that it has been assembled back together. Do you have contact information I could ask him about some of the missing seat parts?

I'm right here on the forum. That's definitely the 31 Plymouth roadster I sold. Feel free to contact me! 951 662-2868.

Hello YH, Jap motors are hardly crap. I agree with the wood species you suggested. They originally used it for strength. Ash and oak are very similar. I mentioned redwood because some places get wet but you are correct the ash or oak is the best bet and obviously marine plywood. As for the engine I would rather keep it original if I can. I have to go through it first. I have never worked on anything past the forties so give me some room here . Newbie at this one and yes I agree about keeping it original . 

31 jalopy, model a seats will not work, your car is wider . the top and top irons , bows are wider also i just finished a 10 year frame off restoration of the same car almost nothing from a model a will fit your car, my car was not nearly as nice as yours when we got. i built my seats from scratch. all my wood is re placed with oak. you have to use some kind of hard wood. because there is a lot of hole drilling for screws  hard wood holds screw threads much better than pine  and of corse a lot stronger .  car builders of the day used ash because it was largely available and cheaper than oak.i think ash may be more flexable than oak.i got a good deal on a bunch of oak from a locale saw mill. thats mostly why i used oak. your car has a lot of wood. just the cost of wood  and all the milling, cutting, and joining is quite the task to say the least. hopefully most of your wood is good. try to save all you can.i had to replace every peice. took a couple of years at least.

IMG_2500.JPG

IMG_1331.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

fantastic pictures . Much of my car is disassembled.  someone started a frame off restoration. Much of the wood is good. Your work sure paid off in the end. Can you somehow show me how you built the seats?  Also. where did you get the replacement convertible bent wood supports . mine are rotten.

great ! that is  the seat back. I have a wood shop and can build this  for the seat.  do you have dimensions for these parts  looks like 2X material strong construction is nice.  It looks like you had someone make the iron brackets. How did you know all of this? Did you have the original pieces? The bottom must be just the springs and cushioning over that wood platform. I have the springs. How did you get the bends in the seat back?  Thanks for everything . It makes working on this less stressful.

14 hours ago, 31Jalopy said:

great ! that is  the seat back. I have a wood shop and can build this  for the seat.  do you have dimensions for these parts  looks like 2X material strong construction is nice.  It looks like you had someone make the iron brackets. How did you know all of this? Did you have the original pieces? The bottom must be just the springs and cushioning over that wood platform. I have the springs. How did you get the bends in the seat back?  Thanks for everything . It makes working on this less stressful.

Sorry do not have any measurements of the seat frames. You will have to make them suit your car. Luckily I had the metal pieces for the seat, the hinges are from the hardware shop. I did not have any wood to make patterns from for ANYTHING on my car. All the wood was rotted away [read eaten by termites] I  did a lot of research and found other guys that had the same car as me. They graciously let me measure things and take lots of pictures and video of their cars. Also I made my own patterns/ templates from plywood or any rubbish wood I could find and mocked up each part of the wooden frame when I was happy I then used my templates to cut out the pieces from Oak. I spent about 12months on just the wood work. First 2 pictures are original wood that I copied my seat frames from. Look closely in second picture you will see a small 6" ruler.b50.thumb.JPG.d20cdc1d734a8b68a3dd17ed2934548e.JPG Next 2 are my nearly finished frame and the last is what I started with. Good luck with your project. BTW my car had a locally built body [Holden]  here in Australia. These pictures are just to give you a idea of what wooden framed cars look like without the metal panels, yours will likely be different. Cheers Markb52.thumb.JPG.cbc13b3377a8f32d935d4495e9e09ba7.JPGa0131.thumb.JPG.d23f59250931e814c77463bf4d544655.JPGa0123.thumb.JPG.e6fc3f0d1eaf081bcc5cd4449a678d1e.JPGa0002.thumb.jpg.87c7491784b0f84ac1837145de1d8355.jpg

Your work and replies have been extremely kind . Thank you!  I will be looking at other cars as well but I have a good idea how to build this seat framing now. The rest of the wood on the car is fairly decent. Keep in touch. Are you using the original four cylinder engine? 

• Thanks 1