jdshott

37 Pontiac rear drum removal

While I’m waiting for double compression fuel line fittings to arrive, I thought that I would begin to work on the rear brakes and bearings. 

However, as a neophyte, I didn’t get very far …

In addition to the 5 wheel lugs, there are two bolts. Do these bolts hold the brake housing to the axle flange?

If so, am I correct in thinking that if I remove these two bolts, back off the brake adjuster and emergency brake, I should be able to get to the brake drums and rear bearings?

Thanks for your consideration. 

JohnBC121271-9E48-4D4B-B073-ACCBB73DE753.thumb.jpeg.8cca230fe1067d4fd08e2998380ba02b.jpeg

Sounds good to me! That should get the drum off and get you inside the brakes. To get to the bearings you probably have to take the differential apart. If those bearings are like 36 (maybe yes maybe no) they are lubricated by the rear axle oil. If you don't have a factory shop manual, I would strongly suggest you get one. Mine has saved me all sorts of grief.

Just a heads up, wheel nuts might be left hand thread on the left side of the car (they are on 36).

Bloo:

Thank you again for your quick and informative post. I expect that my meager skill set does not allow me to be tearing apart the rear end, so I’m hopeful that some fresh differential fluid and some driving will take care of my rear bearings. 

Yes, the ‘37 has left hand threaded lug nuts on the left side. I’m lucky in that regard: when I was working, I worked with a lot of compressed gases. The “nasty” gases tend to have left hand threads so they can’t be accidentally installed where something like nitrogen or oxygen should go. Left-handed cylinder nuts have notches around the circumference of the nut just like left-handed wheel nuts … so I’m lucky to have spotted that before I reached for the extra long breaker bar. 

Thanks again,

John

I just took a quick look on ebay and it looks like 1937 bearings have pressed retaining rings, completely different from 36. If that is the case, you may have to take them out after all to lubricate. They might come out without taking the differential cover off. I don't have a 37 manual, so not sure.

If you need or want, I have Brake Shoes, Wheel Cylinders, and BRAKE DRUMS for a 1937 Pontiac --- all brand NEW !!!!!

Always best to simply call me --- Craig --- 516 - 485 - 1935..... New York...

Bloo:

Thank you for your investigation. I do have a Pontiac shop manual … but was originally looking in the brake section rather than the rear suspension section. Hopefully, I’ll learn a lot more when I get the brake drum pulled. 

Mobileparts:

Thank you!  While I think that I have new brake shoes, springs, and wheel cylinders, it’s been a while since I pulled out my parts stash … of my memory is faulty, I will give you a call. 

Thank you both! and Stay safe!

John