Hello,

My '54 Ford Customline had antifreeze leaking  [a liitle] on the passenger side floor. I thought it was the heater core, so I took it in to have it diagnosed. It has no leaks in it. I'm not sure what else it could be. Is it possible that the plenum has a leak? There's a total of 4 hoses going into the firewall area, 2 to the heater core, and the other 2 [I'm assuming] to the plenum. Thank you.

Benefits of AACA Membership.

If you took it to someone to have it checked and he said it has no leaks it must be coming from somewhere. Where did you take it to be checked? As far as the heater goes there is one hose in and one hose out of the heater core. Got any pictures of the area?

Gary F:

There's a hose going into the core another coming out, then back into the firewall again, then back out. The other 2 hoses appear to be connected to a plenum under the dash. But the leak occurred far from where the plenum is located.

Two of those hoses are going to the heater control valve, which has a sensor in the plenum, at least it does on my '54. Mine is controlled mostly by the control cables from the dash. It could be that the heater control valve is leaking. I've seen different heater control valve setups. When I completely rebuilt my heater system a year and a half ago, I replaced everything with new that I could, but (unfortunately) I could not find a new or replacement heater control valve.

Try opening the direct heat door/hatch in the plenum right after the heater core and use a flashlight to see if you can find any trace of leakage off to the left (where the control valve is.) If you can't find a new control valve, you may find a solid working used unit. Mine's original and still works.

Ranco valves come in many shapes and sizes, but the functional part is always about the same. Volvo used these things well into the 90s IIRC. Don't look for a replacement, look for a guy who rebuilds them. If there's nobody doing it in the Ford world check around in Volvo or Mopar circles (Chrysler used them in the 60s).

We are waiting for the results of the leak?

The leak is in the valve. Thanks for everyone's help.