carmover

Glass Side Curtains 25 Buick

I disassembled the other windows to get glass to use as patterns and took the glasses to the glass shop.They told me that they don't have any glass that thin and that all their glass is now laminated.I was hoping to use laminated glass anyway but it is  half again thicker.I got the glass cutter to cut me a sample  so I could take it Home and see if it would work in the channels.He also  has a thinner felt  that comes by the foot in a big roll.You can cut it with a razor blade and I got a sample of that as well .It turns out that The channel can handle the thicker glass bearly with the thinner felt but still can slide  perfectly.The thicker glass will cut down on the glass rattling. My only challenge is the thinner felt is not as formable as the thicker stuff and will be harder to get the wood screws back in.Also the thicker glass in the rear fixed window will not allow me to use the original bead to hold the glass in but the glass man said he could glue them in with a special glue  that would work with these materials.He assured me that this would be a lot better than tacking them in.He is going to handle the installation on those and guarantees my satisfaction.I should be getting everything back by next Thursday and will get back to work on them.The rack is coming along too and will Have a  roomy padded shelf  For each one  and the padding will allow me to place them in there leather side down so they can lay perfectly flat and protect the fragile glass. I am also including a compartment  custom made for the summer wind wings while they are removed from the car to use the windows.The rack will also feature casters so it can be easily moved around the shop.

• Like 1

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Ron:

Mine has the curtain rod sockets "eyelets" on top of the doors. As I said I asked plenty of questions about this Long Island car to which the former and new owner had no answers. I asked for data plate verification and never heard anything back.

• Like 1

Larry I am willing to bet it is not a real 25A.So if your's has the eyelets in the doors all of the doors are the same and could be used on either fixed top or folding top cars.I may have the only 25A in existence.At least the only running and driving one.They must not care much about that car except trying to make a killing on it at over 30 grand.I would love to know what model number is on the data plate.

Ron:

Sorry to disappoint you but we had this one verified several years ago. It was sold by a broker and sent to Russia.

001.jpg.0e8c40a6f98d1f8914971c279a21de95.jpg

043.jpg.9ce79b6a9baa90a66771adc00a352f0a.jpg038.jpg.7c246f19c5f339cf3d17badc0e784642.jpg005.jpg.87939e3c340f5d3c43c39202f5a45a43.jpg

Neat looking car with Pennsylvania antique plate from the 1960s I would guess. Every body panel had red striping. Fenders. splash pans, front mud pans, headlight buckets etc. The original ad showed nothing about the glass curtains.

When I first got my 1925-25 there were several 25As listed in the BCA roster at the time. 2011 Also several 25-24As sold over the years.

010.jpg.e2a321a33fe9acba8f4e1f681428a4be.jpg011.jpg.d00775e71d7012baa319920f559c1bb3.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Thanks Larry that is a beautiful 25A now I am not feeling as lonely.I never noticed any back then in the directory I must have missed them Somehow.One thing I noticed about it at one time The Buick Club quit showing the A designation and I mentioned it To Pete Phillips and he was going to check on it at the time.The windows are a real important part of the 25A and I hope this car has them.

Edited by carmover (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Has anyone received their latest Hemmings yet? I got mine this morning and in the buicks for sale section there is a 1925 Buick model 25  for sale for$16,000.It has a folding top and what appears to be Glass curtains.The car is located in Connecticut.This continues to get more confusing all the time.By the way the glass shop is finishing up my glass order to be picked up Friday Morning I am getting exited.:D 

Posted (edited)

I got the new Glass installed in the curtains and am happy as I can be.It was a little tricky getting the tiny wood screws down in the narrow channel and the wide glass has no room for the side packing so it has cushioning only on the bottom.I have them installed on the car and will have some pics on here  of the finished project shortly.:)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Here are the pics of the Glass curtains installed.Note the little tab on the sixth picture of the drivers window so the driver could slide it to hand signal turns.

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0009.JPG

• Like 3

Ron

It looks really nice!

I'm curious how noisy it is when driving down the road. The stake bed on my 24 Model TT is an absolutely deafening cacophony of rattles ! Sounds like the truck is coming unglued.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks Brad, I haven't gotten it out on the road since I got them all installed  but with  a few of them in while I was sorting them out I didn't notice much wind noise but did get some noticeable glass rattle.Tomorrow night I plan to take it to a local cruise in and will get a better idea about the noise but with the thicker glass I am expecting it to be a lot quieter.