Early Carter literature (brass bowl, BB-1, etc.)

As I am no longer working on carburetors, I am offering some of the literature from my personal collection (as well as duplicate literature, some of which has been on my website for some time).

This offering is for probably the most comprehensive set of documents on the Carter brass bowl carburetors that exists today.

This was the first carburetor manual I purchased, about 1967. The manual was originally a cardboard backed manual printed in 1931, and updated to 1933. The original manual when I purchased it was roughly 3/4 inch thick.

Carter produced an earlier manual, which I have never seen, but my mentor had one, and he was sufficiently gracious to photocopy the manual for me, which I added to this manual. What happened to his collection of literature, parts, etc. when he passed should be a wake-up call to all of us, but that is a different story. Let's just say that material will never again be available.☹️

For years, I specialized in the brass bowl Carters, as well as the Carter W-1's. A friend at Carter was kind enough to photocopy the then existing assembly drawings for other carburetors too obscure to have printed forms (example, New Way). These I also added to the book. Since I used the book extensively, I placed the pages in protective sleeves, and then placed everything in one of the later Carter maroon binders.

So what does the book include:

(1) specification and adjustment sheets for dozens of brass bowl updraft carburetors, beginning with number 4 and ending with number 228. NO, it is not inclusive.

(2) special bulletins specific to various makes (part calibration change, adjustment changes, issues, etc.)

(3) general bulletins non-make specific (one included in the introduction of the BB updraft universal carburetor)

(4) parts price list AND APPLICATION LIST 1923-1931

(5) parts price list and application list 1932-1933 (part of the update).

(6) carburetor price list and application list

The parts application lists answer LOTS of the questions asked on these forums.

So how can you use it?

Let's say you need a carburetor for your 1930 Chevrolet. The parts book tells you it is a Carter RJH-08. Literature on the 'net tells you it should be tag number 150s. You find an RJH-08 at a swap meet, but of course there is no tag. What do you do? Well, you took this book with you, along with an adjustable end wrench, a pencil eraser, and a good magnifying glass. You ask the vendor if he/she will allow you to remove the bowl. After he/she says yes, you remove the bowl, take the pencil eraser, and clean the bottom of the multiple nozzle that is now accessable. With the glass, you are able to read 12 on top and 106 on the bottom. Turning to the index, you find this nozzle is unique to Carter number 119s. You consult the carburetor index, and find 119s was used by Chrysler. You continue to look, but don't spend money you don't need to spend for the incorrect carburetor.

You can identify virtually ALL brass bowl carburetors using this technique and this book.

You can also identify a part that you need from the specifications page for your carburetor, and then look in the applications list to find what other carburetors may have used the same part.

Price of the book is $850. to include postage and insurance within the 48 contiguous United States. The book is for sale in its entirely, not interested in selling photocopies of portions of the book. If you wish to do so, AFTER you buy it, your choice.

And, no offense meant to anyone. Scanners are cheap, as is disk space. This book will be sold as is, no warranty, not returnable.

Will be happy to discuss exact contents BY TELEPHONE, not by message, not by email, not by posts on this forum.

573-392-7378 (9-12, 1-4 Mon-Tues central time).

Will accept VISA / MasterCard

Jon.

This post needs to be moved to the FOR SALE area that was created just for this purpose.

Thanks.

Terry

• 1 year later...
On 5/31/2020 at 7:11 PM, carbking said:

This was the first carburetor manual I purchased, about 1967. The manual was originally a cardboard backed manual printed in 1931, and updated to 1933. The original manual when I purchased it was roughly 3/4 inch thick

This is the oldest Carter manual I ever came across. The spec sheets in it are dated 1931 and I agree, there must have been older manuals, as the 1930-31 Chevrolet spec sheet Form #4268 did replace several earlier Form #‘s. However, I do have some earlier sheets (two sheets per carburetor) but they are yellow and the form numbers appear to be export sheet numbers, although it doesn‘t say „Export“ on them like on other early export down draft carb spec sheets that I have.

6B0172B7-2FFF-4533-B9B7-D697C1AB12BE.jpeg

0863B255-AD40-4408-881C-5306676AC832.jpeg