auburnseeker

Beware of a new scam I had pulled on me in broad day light.

I thought as things seemed to be heading south sitting in the parking lot waiting for him to come back for me to load up,  I should have taken a picture of his license with my cell phone.  Of course I have a track phone and spent a few minutes just trying to figure out how to text him "how are things going" 

I like land lines.  It shows where the people are from their name and age range with a quick reverse search. 

Of course the only number i have for him is a cell phone.

Where would you file the police report?  I'm a couple of counties away from where it happened and now with all the Covid stuff how does that all work out?  I do know a couple of judges in the area, but none for that county.  It was Saratoga County.  I'm in Warren and the dirt bag was most likely from another county.  I assume it would have to be the county it happened in or town. Not sure what jurisdiction that Walmart is in as it's out of town. 

I would prefer a posse and a rope.

I will open carry when doing cash deals in public places. Cuts WAY down on problems. Only problem is the communist states in the Northeast. Some of the stories I could tell buying parts for cash sums...........all you can do, is do your best, and if you only take one hit every ten or fifteen years, you have to call that better than average.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, edinmass said:

I will open carry when doing cash deals in public places. Cuts WAY down on problems. Only problem is the communist states in the Northeast. Some of the stories I could tell buying parts for cash sums...........all you can do, is do your best, and if you only take one hit every ten or fifteen years, you have to call that better than average.

Well there goes the new tires and getting the wheels done on Victoria.

Plus I get to hear the wife tell me over and over how she would have done things differently. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

I'm sure he'll try to strike someone else, the main reason I wanted to post this.  Surprising Craigslist doesn't seem to have a section to post scams to warn users otehr than a random post in one of the for sale or wanted sections.  Of course seems no one wants to address criminality these days.  Wouldn't mind setting a trap but trapping a rabid animal can be dangerous and criminal justice seems to work in strange ways now a days.  I'm sure cops could care less about this.  

Very true on both parts,... unfortunately. 

Let's hope for instant Kharma.. If anyone deserves it, it's thieves and cons.

As Roger Waters once said : "If I had my way, I'd have all of  them shot, with elephant guns, probably several times"...

(no I do not subscribe to his ridiculous political positions but the quote is worthy for criminals)

But then again a good quartering would be fun too..

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Of course the only number i have for him is a cell phone.

Burner phone, no doubt..............Bob

Most parking lots have cameras, did you check with Walmart? My son in laws garage was broken into and tools and mowers were taken. There is a parking lot behind his garge that belongs to the police dept. Got them on tape!

Well that is awful.  I can completely see how you expected this to be a good transaction.  

Report it to the police.  They might know exactly who it is and are waiting for him to commit his next crime so they can nail him.  Or....They might not really do anything about it.  You never know.  

As far as insurance.  There is usually coverage for theft of cash, but it has an extremely low limit, usually $200 or $400.  This prevents a lot of fraud that could happen when people have money taken, burns up in a fire, etc.

• Like 1

Perhaps because I'm from New York and someone is trying to scam you every day on the subway or even just walking down the street, I'm very skeptical of everything. Whenever I do any sort of transaction, unless I have inspected the goods and have them in my possession, there is no exchange of cash.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MCHinson said:

I would suggest you report the incident to your local police department....

you may be surprised that the entire event is on video from the Walmart parking lot cameras. 

That's exactly what I was thinking as I was reading

down the various postings.  Matt Hinson said it well.

Please do NOT feel that this is too small, or that you

are too sheepish as a victim, to get the criminal punished.

Love righteousness and hate iniquity, as has been stated

by those more knowledgeable than we.

2 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Where would you file the police report?  I'm a couple of counties away from where it happened and now with all the Covid stuff how does that all work out?  I do know a couple of judges in the area, but none for that county.  It was Saratoga County.  I'm in Warren and the dirt bag was most likely from another county.  I assume it would have to be the county it happened in or town. Not sure what jurisdiction that Walmart is in as it's out of town. 

I would prefer a posse and a rope.

If it happened in Saratoga County, New York outside of a town, you would need to report it to the Saratoga County Sheriff: https://saratogacountysheriff.org/

Absolutely file a police report.  In the area in which the money was handed over as well as the area in which you live. Ask the police if they will be pulling video footage from Walmart. If they will not, make a plea to Walmart yourself.  When they are not helpful, be public and vocal about their unwillingness to assist.  They care lore about their image than the police do. You are already 3k out, give it two or three more hours of your time. I doubt you will collect anything, but... it is a small world and you might go out to dinner and see this guy tending the bar some day and it is the police report that the police did nothing with that will give any possible action some possibility. 

I had a friend get money he was owed back in full because a three or four year old police report said he paid a guy for a job and the guy never showed up. He got a judgement on an alias that wasn’t even the crooks real name. When the guys drug, stolen property, and cash stash was seized by police, an honest effort to return stolen property included the cash (although it came in the form of a check from the county jail of all places).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MCHinson said:

If it happened in Saratoga County, New York outside of a town, you would need to report it to the Saratoga County Sheriff: https://saratogacountysheriff.org/

I took a quick look to see if you could start the process with an online report but it doesn't look like they have online reporting, that being said they will most likely take a report over the phone and you should hopefully be able to forward everything you have by email.  You just never know what open files they have of a similar nature or who's desk it will land on but it just takes the right guy to be like a dog on a bone with it, could even end up with an officer who's a car guy or gal.  Walmart is usually very good with sharing their video - this yahoo has probably victimized them too, these type of people aren't involved in just one type of crime and you might have the piece that someone somewhere is looking for.  Remember, Son of Sam was caught by a parking ticket.   Good luck and hopefully you get a positive result at the end even though right now it feels like you got a kick square in the .......

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It’s interesting  that the internet has improved and destroyed so many parts of our hobby. When we were a small in contact tight knit community we could do business on a handshake. I have sold six figure cars on a handshake, signed over the title, and let the car go while waiting for a personal check.......and never even though about problems occurring. That was twenty five years ago. Today, it’s a bank transfer before the car leaves the garage. Things have changed.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Disgusting that this happened to you. We know in this hobby that there are many (thousands?) of such collections "out there" and some of them become available almost every day. So there is good reason to believe when offers come along. I have never dealt in buying for the purpose of resale myself, but have bought a few pickup type loads of antique automobile parts because they had enough stuff in the pile that I wanted for myself. I have also bought large quantities of 78 rpm records or collector car type magazines a few times (I donated about a thousand mostly duplicate magazines to a museum fundraiser a couple years ago).

Such legitimate deals often come along under duress as estates needing to be settled often have upcoming storage and/or handling problems. This creates many suspicious circumstances (including "other people" involved) in even legitimate deals.

Law enforcement these days is at best a crap shoot. About eight years ago, my family had a bunch of stuff stored in one of the best known national chain storage places. Business records, family heirlooms, jewelry, tools and electronics. In what was CLEARLY an inside job (manager's keys and codes were used to gain after-hours access!), the unit was broken into and between five to ten thousand dollars worth was stolen!

San Jose, Califunny! The PD's "burglary division" amounted to ONE man, nothing more than a file clerk that took reports. No patrol car unless "we" wanted to sit at the site all day and maybe several days. No fingerprinting. No photos, NO investigation to AGAIN a clearly inside job! And clearly a felony level burglary.

Sadly, this is the inevitable result when a society turns to dishonesty as a valid business plan. We have (and have had for decades) mainstream media and news that is almost totally politically driven (whether right or left) and only reports things to push their agendas. Without honest journalism,  looking to right wrongs and expose lies regardless of affiliations, we WILL (and do) have a wholly dishonest political arena where both major parties (and virtually all minor parties)  do little more than lie and misdirect to gain power and then sell out votes and legislation for big bucks for the select few that directly support them. From that, the next inevitable step is a wholly dishonest government. One that mostly lies and misdirects the populace to further its own agendas solely to enrich the wealthy few at the expense of the hardworking middle class (we crossed that line about thirty years ago). And without honest journalism, the whole thing just gets worse and worse. Lies beget lies. Deceit begets more and more deceit. Eventually, we really cannot believe anything that our government, or mainstream media says.

Once the government becomes basically corrupt, MOST corporate business WILL adopt dishonesty as a mainstay of their business plans. What used to be legitimate "sale pricing" and "manufacturer's specials" turned into price manipulation where half the products in the store seem to be on sale every other week. Usury laws used to protect people from unscrupulous loans and abusive fees. Now? I get "loan offers" almost every week with interest rates over fifty percent annual, and occasionally, some even over one hundred percent annual interest! Business administrators are rewarded for destroying a company's foundation and sending hundreds and often thousands of their CUSTOMERS into unemployment.

Again, I have ranted enough for a given thread. However, seriously consider where we are today. And just where do you think we will go next?

Again, Randy, I am saddened by this turn of events. Chin up. Be proud. And continue to enjoy the hobby and the journey it takes you on.

Wow. That is pure guts to meet in person. If you ever do one again take pictures of the guy and his license plate if possible. Email them to yourself right away.  
if you have a bank receipt showing the withdrawal of $5g and you report it to the local cops they may just be able to find him thru the emails IP address. A lot of police departments have cyber crime divisions. Just maybe you could get lucky. I doubt you will ever see the $ back but the satisfaction of stopping this turkey may be worth the try. 
At least he only got some and not all of the cash and you were not physically hurt. 
dave s. 

8 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

He got $3000 in cash and disappeared...

I was very sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience with the scammer. I too have been selling old car brochures on eBay full time since 2002 along with old shop manuals, old owner's manuals, old license plates, etc. I ran a "wanted" ad in Hemmings for years looking for large collections of these items until some genius at Hemmings decided to stop running the "wanted" ads in the online version of their publication. That's when my business dropped off by about 95%. Did you have the same problem? I've been all over the eastern half of the country from Maine to North Carolina to Michigan to Tennessee and fortunately never had any serious problems. I've been to isolated areas with thousands of dollars of cash in my pocket hoping that I'm going to meet a legitimate seller and not a thief with a gun. Hopefully the jerk who ripped you off will be brought to justice and you'll get your money back. Good luck....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

I was very sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience with the scammer. I too have been selling old car brochures on eBay full time since 2002 along with old shop manuals, old owner's manuals, old license plates, etc. I ran a "wanted" ad in Hemmings for years looking for large collections of these items until some genius at Hemmings decided to stop running the "wanted" ads in the online version of their publication. That's when my business dropped off by about 95%. Did you have the same problem? I've been all over the eastern half of the country from Maine to North Carolina to Michigan to Tennessee and fortunately never had any serious problems. I've been to isolated areas with thousands of dollars of cash in my pocket hoping that I'm going to meet a legitimate seller and not a thief with a gun. Hopefully the jerk who ripped you off will be brought to justice and you'll get your money back. Good luck....

I've never run an ad in Hemmings.  Last time I was scammed was about 5 years ago and that was through an ad in the Auto Round up.  So far other than this idiot I have done well advertising through Craigslist and have made some great buys off my wanted ads. 

n your initial post you say the thief went inside Walmart to get his wife. Walmart has got to have several pictures of him on their security cameras.I

Is it all automotive literature? Did he seem familiar with the subject, as in demonstrating specific knowledge on obscure or obsolete automobile brands?

I'm sorry about your unfortunate and discouraging incident. Even at age 61, it seems so strange to me that people can make a living at - and build a life around - cheating other people.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I would like to mention as well that out of the blue I have had people contact me and send me literature which I made an offer on once it arrived,  though they didn't know me and requested no money or even an offer up front.  So remember this is also in my mind at the same time as you are dealing with snakes you are dealing with some of the most trusting honest people on the planet at the same time that have no reason to put trust in you.  I have a deal just like that going on now and the lady even sent me a few photos to make sure it was worth sending.  The folders include Jordan, Auburn and many other independent makes from the teens up.  

i would imagine for most honest folks who are not car people the literature you deal in is is not what they consider valuable and so sending it direct to you is not something they worry about. If as is true you are honest they get a fair price. if you were a crook in their minds they aren't out much. Used to have a coworker who often found gold at estate sales that the seller considered junk.  Your honesty show in this post by trying to help others avoid what happened to you.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)

Man, this is strange. When I started reading the emails I decided that this was going to turn out to be some kind of joke thread. What was it about those messages which would tempt anybody? Maybe it's because I'm not a money motivated sort of person,just don't know. That would not have happened to me, and I'm just a hillbilly.

I admit I only read through a small portion of the emails. Couldn't stand to read them myself. A few people have made comments about badly written emails being a tip-off, that maybe they would have known better. I don't know what part of our world they are in, or how much they are exposed to the "writings" of so many people today under the age of 40.  However, I see so much horrible writing and bad grammar everywhere I look in our country today, that I find it easy to believe someone inheriting something like a literature collection could  actually write so badly. The sad fact is, I see a fair amount of severely wrong word usage on this forum almost everyday, and some of it from our best and well educated regular posters. (And yes, I know I make mistakes, and I do tend to be a bit "wordy" and use run-on sentences! And I use "and" too much!) It is deplorable that our educational system has made "feel good" more important than the ability to write a cohesive sentence or understand the difference between "there", "their", and "they're". Those along with about twenty other common sets of homonyms (or sometimes preferred to be called "homophones"?) can be particularly annoying. 

Serious historians consider language to have been the single most important development or invention in all of human history. WORDS are supposed to MEAN something! Communication is one of the most important aspects of all human interaction, and proper use of words and grammar is essential for reliable communication. It is difficult enough dealing with the "English" language in all its regional forms. Add colloquialisms which can vary from one side of the mountain to the other, and even at best we have a mess.  When  so many people no longer even try to learn proper word usage, we have serious problems.

There I go, ranting again. Again Auburnseeker, saddened that this happened to you. Maybe you can find some law enforcement assistance? (But I wouldn't hold my breath for it?)

Posted (edited)

Seems email address, communication record, and make model of car, general description of scumbags including woman is a better start than a lot of investigations.  You can likely prove an in person interaction despite he said she said.  If female accomplice has any priors and they find them, maybe the Police lean on them maybe she talks if he does not.  Anything can happen but if you dont report it they have 100% chance of getting away with it.  I would give it a chance at least.  I would think Walmart absolutely has his picture since you have time and place of the incident.  If you have a 5% chance of resolution I would report it.  Police may ID jerk from pic alone if he is known to them.  Did you say you have a cell number also??  Great attitude about it Randy but I would still pursue anyway..

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)