Beware of a new scam I had pulled on me in broad day light.

I want to post this and the details incase anyone in a similar business might have someone try it on them.

I buy and sell Car literature.  Now I know there are few dealers in this but it could be pulled on any collector that buys in bulk.

Literature just made this easier for them.

Seems most people I deal with,  especially in literature are very honest and happy to find a home for the stuff so remember that as I relate the story.

I was approached through a Craigslist ad I have on a few different craigslists about buying a large lot of literature. 

The short of it , This scam was very well played.  Several emails back and forth and a few scheduled meet ups to buy the lot he cancelled (what scam artist cancels a meet up?) we finally met up at a Walmart parking lot.(again how many want to meet up in a public place)  He got $3000 in cash and disappeared when he went to get his wife inside.

Now one would ask well why did you let him have the money without seeing the stuff.   This is where the circumstances and a long chain of emails comes into play.  

The literature his brother had,  it was half of a collection that the two had inherited from his father.  The brother had all of it at that point because the one I was buying from used it as collateral to borrow $3000 to pay some bills.  He wanted to get his brother paid off as he had been hounding him to pay back the money and maybe a couple grand more his wife was hoping to pay off some bills with (so $5000 for the lot) 

I was to meet up with the two of them.  His brother would bring the literature I would give him the $3000 his brother would give him the literature then if i liked it I would give him the other $2000 and be on my way.   If not we could renegotiate it.  

I buy alot of literature site unseen from all over the country so a close to home deal just saved the shipping.  You never know what you are really getting when buying big lots.  I usually just scan a few items out of a few boxes make the deal,  then go home and sort it out.  Just like buying at the Library sale.

The strange part of the deal was he said my brother thinks it's a friend of our fathers buying it so I'll pay him then when he leaves you can come over to my car and pick the stuff up.  I'll have my wife wait with it and come get you once he drops it off.  Yes this should have raised my eyebrows but if you read all the emails you might understand how this didn't seem completely strange.  He said the brother had been thinking as well maybe he would sell his half but not to the friend. 

I will add a few of those emails so you get the idea.

When he called me to meet up there was a woman in the car he was talking to so that checked out.  His age was about right for things he mentioned in his email.  He gave me the street his brother lived on in Albany as we originally were suppose to meet there but I decided meeting up some place else was better. 

Anyways you get the idea.  

Most will never have this pulled on them as they don't deal in collections of stuff easy to move like literature.  He even mentioned when I said it's all Ford at one point,  no he said  it was a mixed collection not just Ford,  also that when I said I wasn't interested in the collection if it was alot of late model stuff as I buy mostly 1970 and back,  he told me the collection was 1983 and back but most of it was older and only a few pieces were from 1983 as that's when his Dad stopped collecting stuff and he liked the older stuff as well.  He offered up information without asking for it that seemed to confirm his story and the collection.

He said his brother had it loaded (11 boxes of stuff) last weekend when we were suppose to do it and even had to unload it already as he had to use his truck to move some chairs and wasn't happy so he wanted to get it done.

Said he didn't want to do it on Memorial Day as he was an Iraqi war veteran and thought it was best we didn't do it on that day. 

So see this is a well thought out scam and few red flags were thrown.  

Now most of you have dealt with "collectors" be it car or otherwise and as we all know most are a bit peculiar so you have to keep that in mind as well.

It wasn't an exceptional deal just a good deal.  He said the collection had been looked at and valued at about $12,000 or so if all the items were sold individually. Very common when buying a collection.

So be careful dealing out there and as I have said before maybe it's time to bring back the tall tree and short rope. 

Be sure to tell others about this scam.

Here are a few emails.

One of the first

"well m6 brother has manuel and almost every dealership memorbilia paperwork, 96 % of it is almost new n most never taken out of old packaging, me n m6 brother came to bad terms a couple years ago once our father passed away left us his collection n when I went away to the Marines my brother decided to take my part of our father's stuff thinking I wouldn't want it so we have been at odds for the last past couple months over my part, because I had borrowed mone before I went away to the Marines he believed that taking my part we were even so like I said just my half alone is mostly worth well over 10 Gs easy, I'm paying him little by little to get back my we hole half n he's trying to give me piece by piece so I told him to hold it all until 8m completely paid off to what I owe him so that way I can sell my part as a whole n receive more out of it, I owe him axzactly $3,200 left on my loan n once paid off I can ju d t take everything that is mine, he is keeping his part in memory of our dad but our dad did say if we ever are in need of cash to ju d t sell it which I am trying to do now, if you are really interested in the whole lot of my half which last year a man named Greg stepping of Ford comp. Looked at my half n said it was worth over 15 Gs to a right collected so because I really need to get my brother off my back and pay my bills n have a wife, 3 kids n one on the way I am willing to work put a deal with you, if you put up the money I owe my brother I can just take the whole lot, let you look through it all n if you decide you want it all which I can assure you that you will seeing your a collected I'll even cut off a few Gs off of what I know I could get out of it, I pay my brother give you the lot to look through, you want it you give me another 2,800 n we go our separate ways or if you 9nly want some of it me and you come to a agreement of how much and I take back the funds from my brother give it back to you n I'll throw you a few good items that are costly n we go our separate ways, either way it works out for both of us but as I have said being a x Marine n protecting our country I do try to be fair with my fellow Americans n like I said 8 can assure you that you will 8n deed want everything I have. A win win situation, mail me back n if it sounds good we can plan a day n time to meet somewhere, hope ya don't mind but the family n I are always together so I hope it's not a distraction for you, 3 small really good boys I have n I can assure you that they will not be loud or distracting during our business"

I'm so sorry  was out since this mornIng teaching my young boys how to fish, anyway I am located in St.Johnsville n6, just 20 min outside of Amsterdam, we are from Schenectady, Roterdam but we decided to relocate to keep our kids away from crime and drugs which we hate n wish none of that was ever around but out here it is peaceful and a great quiet place to raise a family."

"Hi , yes as I have said 98% of it is from the 1920s up until the 80s, there are only about half a box full from the early 80s because my father only collected the early items just like you. Anyway I'm comming from up by St.Johnsville right outside, we would have to meet somewhere in between n you could follow me to my brothers home which I will have to go in n grab the boxes to bring out to you, do you have enough room in your car or whatever your driving for 9 to 10 real big boxes?, let me know, John"

"he is on new Scotland ave, you ever herd of it?  Here's the issue, my brother believes I'm selling it all cheap to a good old friend of mine who was in the military with our father n that it all is going to a good cause n the issue is because I'm selling it so cheap n going to Fred it's ok with him because my brother is very sentimental about these items even though they are not his part so once I pay him what I owe him n bring you out the boxes it's a done deal, you won't have to even worry about him seeing you or anyone else because once I pay him n take my boxes we can than go our separate ways."

"not a problem, I'll take a ride over later n send you some pics if it makes you feel any better, besides my wife n 3 small boys would be there during the transaction n you must see we are stand up, honest people, I'm new to this Craigs list stuff as well, the wife is the brains of this stuff n ju d t like you I have a spider infestation at the house n she's on me to get rid of them today to so after I'm done I'll shoot down to m6 brothers which is 40 min from us n send you some pics, ok you better go get that yard work done or you know what's comming, have a great day "

"couldn't get out to Albany to take those pics yesterday for you because my wife n I had to take the car to the dealership for a inspection n we almost forgot about it until the last minute but I talked to him n he said to just come get my lot of it so I can meet up with you somewhere later today n I can bring it all out, as long as you have a truck as you say you do than you can hual it all back to your place, as I have said I can get even on my loan from my brother n put a couple more grand in my pocket n I'm satisfied with that,  what I'll do is bring out all the boxes so you can look through them first to make sure you want them which I'm 100% confident you will be happy about comming because I know for a fact that after making the money back on our deal you will also be able to make close to 8 to 9 Gs as well, we just need to know if your interested cause if not there is another guy as well that is contacting my wife also but I told him I fir a t have to see if you want these or not, mail me back ASAP, thanks, John"

"by the way  I already knew but while talking to my brother he went through some of the boxes while I was on the phone with him n he did say every different dealership I do have, not ju d t Ford as you thiught, our father collected every n any car manuel to the smallest info on cars, ju d t so you know."

"ju d t talked to m6 brother again to ask him 2hat you just asked me n yes it's a mix of everything b75 mostly 90% of what your looking for n deal in n like I said you will make your money plus a lot more back off of our deal, my brother just said I'm crazy for letting it all go for nearly 5 grand but as 8 told you he believes it's going to a friend's of our father's and even with that said.his telling me I could at least ask him for 8 grand on it knowing he's going to make over double on it but as I said I ju d t need to get my brother off my back n besides it's not a good feeling owing anyone money n makes a man feel less than himself and I have s9me bills that need to be paid so it all works out for me n my wife, I do not want the hassle of going to person to person n lugging those boxes around when I have you who ju d t wants to buy them n go which saves me time, headache n have everything paid off so it works out for both of us, that's fine, we can meet up wherever tomorrow and talk but I can assure you th a t the trip here will be well worth your while, mail me back whenever n we can talk, I'm about to start setting up a pool for the kids in the yard, found a decent used one on Craigs list but had to take it apart n reassemble it back together which is a headache. OK talk to you later , thanks, John"

"is tomorrow around 6 in the evening ok to meet cause my wife works until 530 n won't be able to get around Albany until around 6 because we r comming from up here in St.Johnsvill?, just let me know or I can have my brother bring the whole lot here to our home n you can just come to our house n look through everything if St.Johnsvill is closer to you instead of comming from the lake George aera to Albany, I'm trying to check on Google maps to see if we r closer to you than Albany which would be a lot easier for us all., John"

ju d t got back from Schenectady, had to take m6 wife's m9m shopping a5 Price chopper n she takes so damn long buying food n than the long ride back here which is aggravating. Anyway I'll try to figure out what the best option is as in meeting up n taking care of business, my wife told the other guy earlier that the lot was sold so I feel confident that doing this business with you was worth the wait n letting another guy go but you were first and that's how business is done because without honesty and loyalty there ain't much in anything left. I was brought up in a very religious and strict family and my father was a 20 year long military man and most of my family were cops but over the years people pass away, seems like the older we get the years go by faster and faster n I hate seeing my kids grow up so fast but we do have one last one on the way, this is our last, we hoped for a girl but once again it's a boy, 4 boys now, go figure hua... anyway I'll give you a ring tomorrow at some point, going to go help a friend paint for a few hours but I will get in touch when I get home n as I said my wife isn't done working until 530 d o I'll figure out a plan to where we can meet up to where it's easier for both of us n do our business. If you and your loved ones are not involved in any type of church services my wife n I would like to 8nvite you n your family in one of our services once they open back up again, we r church going people n trust me God is real and very loyal to those who believe in his word so with that said think about it n matey give it a try with my family and yours one Sunday, talk to ya tomorrow, night, John"

"on my lunch break , I have everything set up for later on tonight, it will be my wife n I n my youngest son meeting you, I'm going to try to fit all the boxes into our SUV so hopefully I can get them all to fit, just really need to do this business n be done with it, my wife told the other guy that the lot was sold n my brother knows he will be getting paid so 3 very thing is great n my wife is happy th as t we will have a couple grand left over to pay some past bills th a t really need to be paid, if you guys might happen to have baby items you never used we will take them as a trade off the bill?, she is due in 2 more months, having another boy so anything for a boy we will take in trade?, after paying a few of our bills the rest of the cash is going towards baby items anyway so look around n matey you have some that you guys don't need anymore, I ju d t paid over 250.00 on a pack n play so anything cheaper would help us out alot, m as IL me back ASAP so we can set up a place n time to meet up n make this trade, tganks, John"

it's John, my brother has all the boxes ready for pick up, everything is a go n we r waiting on a response from you, you need to let us know what's going on sir because I have went through a lot organizing this pick up n deal for you, do you want to meet tonight or would you prefer we meet up over the weekend during the day because if so we could drive out towards Glenville which n is closer to you or that town out towards lake George called I believe St.Anns? Something like that we believe, it would be alot fairer if we could meet a lil closer like half way from each other mabeyy one of the rest stops along the way??? Please let us know, my brother is getting upset because I been telling him he will get paid soon n my word as a man means everything n in God's eyes no man should lie or make false accusations so please let us know wg as t we are doing, thank you, John"

"sorry I just getting back to you also, been real busy also, helping a friend's Dad put on his roof, he's a old man n can't do the things he use to do so me n his son are doing it for him n I'm also doing a painting job as well, his Dad keeps trying to pay me for the roofing but how can I take money from him, I just cant, I've known Pauly since grade school with his son, even though I really need the cash I ju d t can't find it in my heart to take anything from him. Yeah I k n ow what you man about kids, as long as your their raising the kids, your their Dad n they will always love you as their own, adoped or not, I wanted a girl for so long but 3 boys n now another boy on the way so I have to be greatfull for the blessings God has giving us cause they are all in good health and are really good kids, my oldest has ADHD, he  has it real bad, 13 n has the mind of a 9 year old but ya know what, he's a awesome kid n would help anyone in need n he's smart, my 10 year old is a great kid as well n really smart, he loves learning but my youngest is a little on the rough side n has attitudes which I do not like n he's a mommy's boy so it's a no win situation when I yell at him the wife yells at me no matter what he does wrong but I now tell him he's not going to be the baby much longer cause he's about to have a little brother that I need him to protect n teach him things which turned him a round a little cause it made him feel important n that their are goals he needs to achieve now so th a t did a lot which I'm greatfull for thinking of. Anyway we as men are lucky to have a wife n family n9 matter how bad at times things might be because their are some men out there that will never have a loving family so feel blessed Randy we are the lucky ones. Yes the weekend would be great, my wife is trying to decide where to meet up with you where it's fair for both of us ok. I'm just glad I can now pay off my brother n pay a couple bills which is going to save our credits, thats one thing we will never let get far behind, these days in this world credit is a must to have. OK talk to ya tomorrow, bless you guys, John"

"waking up for work, ju d t seen your response from earlier, about to go finish helping putting up the roof for my buddy's old man, anyway I guess one of the Price choppers somewhere over there either in Schdy or Scotia, I'll talk to my wife sometime today during lunch n I'll let you know at one point, how does either Sat sometime after about 4 or Sunday around noon if I'm not helping out working, I promised the old guy me n his son would have the rest of the roof done before the weekend was over because if it rains it will definitely leak in certain 0kaces that cannot ju d t be covered no matter what n even though I'm not even accepting any cash from him my word man's everything to me so I need to finish it up as promised so let's just m a ke sure that either Sat. Or Sun that we get together at one point n finish up on our business. I'll mail you back sometime today after I talk to the wife about which Price chopper we r bringing her mother to for food shopping cause it's always been the one in Schenectady right into Rotterdam, I believe it's on Altoona Ave . I'll talk to ya later, got to get some coffee in me right now, John.."

"good morning, real bad day yesterday, as we were doing my friends father's roof n while putting on shingles my friend gets this bright idea to try n swing around a cone roof shafts to get to the front side instead of going down the latter n going back up the front he somehow trips n falls off, I was in the emergency room all night with him n didn't have my tablet to contact you to let you k ow I couldn't make it yesterday so I was stuck there with him, anyway nothing major but he is lucky he didn't fall n on the iron gate and would have got in paled so I'm about to had back over n finish putting up the last few loads of shingles, if you want to meet up at some point today we can, juse let me know at some point so I can tell m6 brother where to go as well to drop off the boxes, real sorry Randy, my friend needs to listen to professional roofers such as me when doing things uo high on roofs... John"

"everything is set for whenever your ready, m6 brother is so pissed at me cause I didn't contact him earlier because he had the truck loaded with the boxes n he needed to use the bed to bring some chairs to his friends so I made him miss dropping off the chairs n h3s mad about his cash cause I promised him I was getting it for him so please get in touch with me because he has all the boxes back in his truck bed so we need to finish up on our business either tomorrow after around 5 or on Wensday, whichever is good for you. I'm sorry to everyone n I feel real bad but it's not my fault he fell off the damn roof n the last couple days my wife wanted family days so I had no choice, just please get in touch , I'm even going to give you a better deal on the whole lot of mine for 4,500, that's 500 off of what I was willing to take and that's a killing already for you trust me so for having you wait there's 500 hundred off my original set price, my wife even said to give you a better deal knowing your going to make at least another 7 to 9 grand off of this deal after getting back your 4,500. I'm hoping we stay in con tact after this deal so I can set you up with my brothers lot n if I ever come across more I know where to go., thanks n have a great Memorial day n a blessed night.John"

I have a bunch more but these give you an idea. These were over several days and in response to questions I asked.

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

In retrospect, and because I already know the bad ending, his Email sounds very similar to the ones I get from a Nigerian prince offering me a slice of his hoard of diamonds if I front him some money to buy off his evil twin. Sincerely sorry for your loss...........Bob

• Like 5

When you are meeting the person in the flesh and they are local one doesn't expect someone to be so bold in the first place.

Easy to be a Monday morning quarter back as well.  I can think back and re analyze things knowing the outcome differently but at first it sounds like half the other deals I have been involved with.   Few I bet can say they haven't had much stranger in deal persons,  especially dealing with estates and heirs.

I would like to mention as well that out of the blue I have had people contact me and send me literature which I made an offer on once it arrived,  though they didn't know me and requested no money or even an offer up front.  So remember this is also in my mind at the same time as you are dealing with snakes you are dealing with some of the most trusting honest people on the planet at the same time that have no reason to put trust in you.  I have a deal just like that going on now and the lady even sent me a few photos to make sure it was worth sending.  The folders include Jordan, Auburn and many other independent makes from the teens up.  

I understand completely and it's only through the lens of knowing the unhappy ending that the deal raised any flags. Again, sorry for your loss and I hope the scum bags get their just deserts.................Bob

• Like 3

I'm really sorry to hear this happened, Randy. That sucks. But it's a good lesson and I salute your courage and humility to share the story. Most guys would never mention it.

Unfortunately, in good cons, the mark is always the last one to realize what happened. And there are plenty of good cons going on out there all the time. The guys who are good at it, well, they're good at it. Most people aren't really prepared for scammers who are that ruthless. It's just human nature to assume most folks are like ourselves--dishonest people assume everyone is dishonest (like my former business partner) while honest people like you tend to deal in good faith and give people the benefit of the doubt. 

So don't be too hard on yourself. There are guys who do this for a living and they get VERY good at it (the FBI is still looking for the guy who scammed the government out of $364 million for ventilators about a month ago). I'm sad that it happened, I'm sad that it cost as much as it did, but everyone is smarter for it now. Thank you for that and for trying to turn a negative into a positive.

• Like 8

As you mentioned yes it is difficult to show you were stupid and suckered by someone.  Most scams as mentioned never get past the first email.  The other one I had pulled on my almost 5 years ago was similarly well thought out and based in alot of factual information.  The guy who pulled the first one on me was extremely knowledgable on NOS car parts and even google maps showed the location of the business the parts were coming from.  As you said Matt.  The good ones are really good.

13 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Most people aren't really prepared for scammers who are that ruthless. It's just human nature to assume most folks are like ourselves--dishonest people assume everyone is dishonest (like my former business partner) while honest people like you tend to deal in good faith and give people the benefit of the doubt. 

How true...I had it happen with a truck I bought. I was in a hurry and in no position to check it carefully but I asked the right questions and got lies for answers...in retrospect I should have seen it coming. My late mother used to say that she'd rather be honest and occasionally taken advantage of than be dishonest and presume everyone else was.

jp

• Like 2

If he did it once and got away with it he'll do it again. Something tells me a con like that can be flushed out with his own trick. 

Maybe set out some bait using a different offer he can't refuse and a different email to see if you can locate him. If his sob story worked once he may continue to try and pull it again and again...

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

It actually doesn't hurt to ask to see if insurance will cover it. Last year we were accused of misrepresentation on a car by a wealthy guy who was just trying to push us around--he even admitted he'd lose in court. But he knew he could make it too expensive for us to fight him and he had the resources to outlast us. I didn't believe I did anything wrong (and still don't) but the threat was real and there was no real way to combat a rich guy who wanted to drain you dry. We hired a lawyer who was advising us to settle until he read our insurance policy and wow, look at that! Our policy covers litigation in cases of misrepresentation. Well that changes everything--we're going to war! Once we invited this guy to sue us and his lawyer realized that the threat of expensive litigation was no longer an effective one, we have not heard from him again. We sadly do get unhappy guys one in a great while, but he was the first one who actually had a lawyer put things in motion and specifically threatened us with a litigation bomb.

I never would have imagined that an insurance company would pay to defend me from something like that, but there it is. So you never know what a policy might cover until you read it carefully. This was a theft, whether it happened on your property may not be relevant.

10 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

If he did it once and got away with it he'll do it again. Something tells me a con like that can be flushed out with his own trick. 

Maybe set out some bait using a different offer he can't refuse and a different email to see if you can locate him. If his sob story worked once he may continue to try and pull it again and again...

I'm sure he'll try to strike someone else, the main reason I wanted to post this.  Surprising Craigslist doesn't seem to have a section to post scams to warn users otehr than a random post in one of the for sale or wanted sections.  Of course seems no one wants to address criminality these days.  Wouldn't mind setting a trap but trapping a rabid animal can be dangerous and criminal justice seems to work in strange ways now a days.  I'm sure cops could care less about this.  

For insurance I don't have business insurance as i don't operate a Physical location and not alot of risk of being sued selling literature on line. Especially selling on ebay.  They just take the money give it to the plaintiff and shoo the seller away.  We all know that too well. 

I do appreciate the suggestion though. 

1 minute ago, JFranklin said:

I think the idea of a baited lousetrap would be an interesting try. Bring a few big friends with bats!

So tempting but today you would be charged with assault where in the old days one of the members of that batting party might have had a badge.

• Like 1

I would suggest you report the incident to your local police department. While I am not familar with the particular laws in your state, this is a criminal offense. Assuming your local police department is notified and investigates it appropriately, you may be surprised that the entire event is on video from the Walmart parking lot cameras. It is possible that the offender can be identified by the video, and fairly likely his license plate will be legible in security camera video which can be used to identify him.  

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Randy,  you are pretty sharp and have been doing this a long time.   Did you get any of the heebie jeebies that you feel when something doesn't seem right?

A few things didn't add up 100 percent but the consistency was there.  As you know seems with old car stuff if you hit within the 98 percentile you are usually OK. 

Even what seemed like sure deals have fallen apart as you all know.  

I went before to buy a bunch of NOS parts and the people let me look them all over,  then said well we have another guy coming in 2 hours that has first dibs.  What?  One of the reasons I got into literature.  They wouldn't sell me the parts but sold me all the literature .

3 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

I would suggest you report the incident to your local police department. While I am not familar with the particular laws in your state, this is a criminal offense. Assuming your local police department is notified and investigates it appropriately, you may be surprised that the entire event is on video from the Walmart parking lot cameras. It is possible that the offender can be identified by the video, and fairly likely his license plate will be legible in security camera video which can be used to identify him.  

Will they even bother for 3G that I say I gave him with no evidence that I did.  They barely take the time to investigate car thefts. I guess it matters if you get a rookie involved that is thirsty to solve a crime or a seasoned veteran that thinks you wasted our time with this?

So sorry to hear of you being ripped off. Taking photos of the seller and situation may have given you a leg up on the crook. In this day and age, videos are VERY helpful to catch a thief.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

in the '70s I used to work at a gaming arcade and pool hall. We had to do many things that you might think litigious, such as dragging people out by their hair and beating on teen gangs. We even had to show our .45 to a kid that thought his nunchucks would do the trick! Like Biden we kept a heavy (Door locking) chain at the counter and used it a couple of times as threats. Busted a guys windshield as he tried to flee in daddies car and never had an issue. The police knew though that a call from us was important. How times and peoples psyches have changed 

• Like 1

In my 30 plus years of law enforcement experience, I would say that most police departments would be interested. In my state, that is a felony. It is likely a felony in your state as well. Your police department may or may not be interested in investigating it, but you should report it. The video may also very well prove that you handed him the cash if that transaction happened in a Walmart parking lot. 

• Like 2

I thought as things seemed to be heading south sitting in the parking lot waiting for him to come back for me to load up,  I should have taken a picture of his license with my cell phone.  Of course I have a track phone and spent a few minutes just trying to figure out how to text him "how are things going" 

I like land lines.  It shows where the people are from their name and age range with a quick reverse search. 

Of course the only number i have for him is a cell phone.

Where would you file the police report?  I'm a couple of counties away from where it happened and now with all the Covid stuff how does that all work out?  I do know a couple of judges in the area, but none for that county.  It was Saratoga County.  I'm in Warren and the dirt bag was most likely from another county.  I assume it would have to be the county it happened in or town. Not sure what jurisdiction that Walmart is in as it's out of town. 

I would prefer a posse and a rope.

I will open carry when doing cash deals in public places. Cuts WAY down on problems. Only problem is the communist states in the Northeast. Some of the stories I could tell buying parts for cash sums...........all you can do, is do your best, and if you only take one hit every ten or fifteen years, you have to call that better than average.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, edinmass said:

I will open carry when doing cash deals in public places. Cuts WAY down on problems. Only problem is the communist states in the Northeast. Some of the stories I could tell buying parts for cash sums...........all you can do, is do your best, and if you only take one hit every ten or fifteen years, you have to call that better than average.

Well there goes the new tires and getting the wheels done on Victoria.

Plus I get to hear the wife tell me over and over how she would have done things differently. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

I'm sure he'll try to strike someone else, the main reason I wanted to post this.  Surprising Craigslist doesn't seem to have a section to post scams to warn users otehr than a random post in one of the for sale or wanted sections.  Of course seems no one wants to address criminality these days.  Wouldn't mind setting a trap but trapping a rabid animal can be dangerous and criminal justice seems to work in strange ways now a days.  I'm sure cops could care less about this.  

Very true on both parts,... unfortunately. 

Let's hope for instant Kharma.. If anyone deserves it, it's thieves and cons.

As Roger Waters once said : "If I had my way, I'd have all of  them shot, with elephant guns, probably several times"...

(no I do not subscribe to his ridiculous political positions but the quote is worthy for criminals)

But then again a good quartering would be fun too..

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Well that is awful.  I can completely see how you expected this to be a good transaction.  

Report it to the police.  They might know exactly who it is and are waiting for him to commit his next crime so they can nail him.  Or....They might not really do anything about it.  You never know.  

As far as insurance.  There is usually coverage for theft of cash, but it has an extremely low limit, usually $200 or $400.  This prevents a lot of fraud that could happen when people have money taken, burns up in a fire, etc.

• Like 1

Guest Mark McAlpine

I'm very sorry to hear this happened to you and hope the police can be of some help.  

Perhaps because I'm from New York and someone is trying to scam you every day on the subway or even just walking down the street, I'm very skeptical of everything. Whenever I do any sort of transaction, unless I have inspected the goods and have them in my possession, there is no exchange of cash.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MCHinson said:

I would suggest you report the incident to your local police department....

you may be surprised that the entire event is on video from the Walmart parking lot cameras. 

That's exactly what I was thinking as I was reading

down the various postings.  Matt Hinson said it well.

Please do NOT feel that this is too small, or that you

are too sheepish as a victim, to get the criminal punished.

Love righteousness and hate iniquity, as has been stated

by those more knowledgeable than we.

2 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Where would you file the police report?  I'm a couple of counties away from where it happened and now with all the Covid stuff how does that all work out?  I do know a couple of judges in the area, but none for that county.  It was Saratoga County.  I'm in Warren and the dirt bag was most likely from another county.  I assume it would have to be the county it happened in or town. Not sure what jurisdiction that Walmart is in as it's out of town. 

I would prefer a posse and a rope.

If it happened in Saratoga County, New York outside of a town, you would need to report it to the Saratoga County Sheriff: https://saratogacountysheriff.org/

Absolutely file a police report.  In the area in which the money was handed over as well as the area in which you live. Ask the police if they will be pulling video footage from Walmart. If they will not, make a plea to Walmart yourself.  When they are not helpful, be public and vocal about their unwillingness to assist.  They care lore about their image than the police do. You are already 3k out, give it two or three more hours of your time. I doubt you will collect anything, but... it is a small world and you might go out to dinner and see this guy tending the bar some day and it is the police report that the police did nothing with that will give any possible action some possibility. 

I had a friend get money he was owed back in full because a three or four year old police report said he paid a guy for a job and the guy never showed up. He got a judgement on an alias that wasn’t even the crooks real name. When the guys drug, stolen property, and cash stash was seized by police, an honest effort to return stolen property included the cash (although it came in the form of a check from the county jail of all places).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MCHinson said:

If it happened in Saratoga County, New York outside of a town, you would need to report it to the Saratoga County Sheriff: https://saratogacountysheriff.org/

I took a quick look to see if you could start the process with an online report but it doesn't look like they have online reporting, that being said they will most likely take a report over the phone and you should hopefully be able to forward everything you have by email.  You just never know what open files they have of a similar nature or who's desk it will land on but it just takes the right guy to be like a dog on a bone with it, could even end up with an officer who's a car guy or gal.  Walmart is usually very good with sharing their video - this yahoo has probably victimized them too, these type of people aren't involved in just one type of crime and you might have the piece that someone somewhere is looking for.  Remember, Son of Sam was caught by a parking ticket.   Good luck and hopefully you get a positive result at the end even though right now it feels like you got a kick square in the .......

• Like 1

It’s interesting  that the internet has improved and destroyed so many parts of our hobby. When we were a small in contact tight knit community we could do business on a handshake. I have sold six figure cars on a handshake, signed over the title, and let the car go while waiting for a personal check.......and never even though about problems occurring. That was twenty five years ago. Today, it’s a bank transfer before the car leaves the garage. Things have changed.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 4