pkhammer

Hello early Chevy aficionados head casting ID Help

Found these two four cylinder head castings and exhaust manifold in the corner of a barn. They both appear to have 345453 cast in. One also has C206 and the other A257. I know they are 1928 or earlier but I know little about early Chevys. One has some funky sheetmetal inserts in the exhaust ports. Any info would be helpful. 

-thank you.

102_3731.JPG

102_3732.JPG

102_3733.JPG

102_3734.JPG

102_3735.JPG

To the best of my knowledge, 1928 was the only year that the four cylinder head had two exhaust ports. 1927 and earlier had one port.

Jim

Chevrolet used alphanumeric date codes. I believe the C206 would be March 20, 1926 and  A257 would be January 25, 1927.

Posted (edited)

The funky sheet metal inserts are little atomizers / mixers (or whatever the theory is there) and they are in the intake ports.  Those are single port exhaust heads. 

Those are bad prone to crack due to all the heat concentration in the middle.  Typical GM, it's a problem they knew about in the era yet persisted in using that same design of head for several years.  As a result, if you need a good core today it is ten times easier to find an uncracked one-year-only dual port exhaust than it is a single port exhaust head.  Most people with earlier cars that want to drive them put on a dual port head, but if you intend to show it and need a good single port it is extremely difficult to find a good one.   

Edited by W_Higgins (see edit history)

So what I have are two 1926-1927 single exhaust port heads that are most likely good boat anchor material it sounds like. The exhaust manifold must be from 1928 since it has two ports?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, pkhammer said:

So what I have are two 1926-1927 single exhaust port heads that are most likely good boat anchor material it sounds like. The exhaust manifold must be from 1928 since it has two ports?

As W.Higgins pointed out, good single port heads are hard to find, If either of these is crack free, someone could use them for an authentic restoration.

Thank you all for the information. I suppose I could go to the effort and expense of having them cleaned and magnafluxed but I'll most likely just pass them on to a Chevy guy to do with as he pleases.

-thanks again!

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, pkhammer said:

Thank you all for the information. I suppose I could go to the effort and expense of having them cleaned and magnafluxed but I'll most likely just pass them on to a Chevy guy to do with as he pleases.

-thanks again!

I am sure if you go over to VCCA someone will gladly take them off your hands... 

that is where the die hard Chevrolet guys hang out, plenty of us rebuilding vintage Chevrolets !!

oh yeah George is correct on the early Chevrolets they were date coded, month is first letter A= January, then day of month, and last digit is end of year 6=1926. 

Edited by BearsFan315 (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, BearsFan315 said:

I am sure if you go over to VCCA someone will gladly take them off your hands... 

that is where the die hard Chevrolet guys hang out, plenty of us rebuilding vintage Chevrolets !!

Thanks for the tip. I also have a number of Chevy grille shells, headlights and headlight bars I'd like to sell so I'll check it out.

8 hours ago, pkhammer said:

-thanks again!

It's the age-old problem with some of this stuff.  If you try to sell it unchecked it's basically worth scrap because of the gamble for the buyer, but if you clean it up, have it magnafluxed, and sell it as a known good part you can get a decent price for it (more than it costs to clean and mag it).  It all depends on what your time is worth to you.  I had to hunt one of these things down a few years ago and wound up paying more than one would think for a Chevy head, but it came from a reputable dealer who had stacks of junk ones laying around as a result of his efforts to comb through and find the good ones, so I was basically paying for his time to, in turn, not have to do all of that on my end.

Here's the area where they tend to crack.  Sorry it's not marked up better.  It's the area within the magic marker lines.  Do a quick visual.  If it's really bad you can probably see it and move on.  If not, you might want to pursue it further.  This one was so bad that if you dropped it from waist--high onto the floor it probably would have broken completely in two.    

WP_20170506_08_28_27_Pro.jpg

WP_20170506_08_28_34_Pro.jpg

WP_20170506_08_28_48_Pro.jpg

Thanks again, I'll take a look and see if I can say anything. I listed a bunch of early Chevy stuff I have in the classifieds with the hope of maybe selling as a lot. I included these heads but did not count them as having any value so whoever might purchase the other things will get these for free.