What type original paint?

I'm interested to know what type of paint was originaly used on 41 Buicks. Was it enamel or laquer? Would like to have a small amount made up for touching up small chips. I have a friend who works for PPG and had worked with other companies in the past and is a Pro when it comes to color matching. He can mix me up what I need in a very small quantity even though it's not done in small amounts since he is in the R&D dept. there. He would not do this normally since he would be overwhelmed by requests, but we are good friends and he owes me one. Time to call in my marker!  Thank's in advance.

Since your paint isn't original, it seems irrelevant what Buick used originally.  The question is what kind of paint was used when your car was repainted.  The last time we discussed touch up paint, you seemed to agree with me that the seller must have information about the repaint, since it's apparent from the photos that your car has been repainted (and very beautifully, it would appear)!  What happened when you tried to find out about the most recent repaint of your car?

If I was to guess, I would say that it probably was enamel.  Most of the "old paints" are of limited availability or no longer made.  If you are going to repaint your car, just use the new base coat/clear coat because if it is properly done, you will have a much better and longer lasting paint job.  Just IMO.

• Like 1

Neil, I realize I need what is on the car now and that isn't my issue. I should have made my post more clear. The reason I ask is to touch up the back sides of the wheels. They are the original color and in very good shape. Just chips here and there. Not bad enough to do a re paint. Yet. The  past post body color has been resolved. I don't understand why anyone who restores a car would not do the wheels back side also. I've seen it on many a top shelf restorations a it drives me nuts. Come winter, they are coming off and done to match the rest. You are right about the paint job. It is flawless and could not have asked for any better. But the wheels, come on! They did the fronts perfect. What's it take to do the back? Guess I had to find something to complain about. Anyway, my guess would be enamel also.

• Like 1

Haha -- I'm sorry but I have to laugh when I think about the fact that you're concerned with the back sides of the wheels compared to the things I'm dealing with.  But if you want to have a 100 point show car (and I'm sure your car is close), then i guess you have to be concerned about such things.  However, I still don't understand your question about the type of paint that was originally used by Buick.  If you want to paint the back sides of your wheels to match the front side, surely you will want to use the same kind of paint that was used on the front side, right?  You say that they are not "bad enough to do a re-paint," but then you say that they are coming off and will be "done to match the rest."  I'm confused, but either way, I would think you would want the back side of the wheels to match the front side, in other words, to be painted with the same paint as the front sides.

I guess I should be greatful about what I need to do to the car. Believe it or not, I'm at the point of trying to find anything that would not be 100% . There is not much to deal with right now except the point deduction here and there. I'd like to get to the point where there is none. Maybe to optimistic, but the car is very close now. Need to find a expert judge in my area to find what else is needed. Since all or most shows are cancelled now is a good time to try and achieve that goal. Disposable funds account has grown since there is not much to do for entertainment but wife has other ideas on what to do with it! 

All the best

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Eddie-O said:

Need to find a expert judge in my area to find what else is needed.

Different judges see different things. ;) 

Or another way to look at it: don't let someone else define your success.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Eddie-O:

Vehicles from that era used nitrocellulose lacquer paint. (Mid 20's thru 50's). The paint was used in the automotive industry for thirty (30+ years).  The Oakland (prior to Pontiac) was the first vehicle to introduce this type of paint produced by DuPont.  The good news is that type of paint is still available and is used currently on very expensive European sports cars.  FYI.  Your friend will tell you how expensive this type of paint may cost you compared to the more modern types of paint.   If possible, have your friend look over your vehicle and take any advice that he might offer to you.

At AACA and BCA judged events, you will not lose points for using paint that is not of the original type.  Use of metallics on cars that didn't have metallic can be a deduction.  A modern single stage paint of a very close color to original will not lose points.  If you are dealing with CCA or Concours judging, you may get deductions.  However at most concours judging events the cars are over restored from original.

Bob Engle

• Like 2

Fireball8man,

Thanks for all that info. I forward your info to my friend since even though it's out of my pay grade, I'm sure he'll know what you are talking about since he's been in that buisness for 30+ years or so. It will be interesting to learn the difference in price also.

thanks again

12 hours ago, Robert Engle said:

Before attempting to achieve perfection, first you need to define what perfection is!!

Bob Engle

Having a grreat, successful marriage which partner allows unlimited budget for vintage car projects?

• Haha 1