1956 horn question

JohnD1956

This is my drivers side horn with the cover removed. 

20200529_172828.thumb.jpg.493d00e2d8f9b3aedd25d86800a4729e.jpg

This one horn has never been heard by me and I am wondering if anyone can help repair it? 

20200529_172833.thumb.jpg.a8c8b721d5d95fbd6ae29ae4f97450e6.jpg

According to the manual there is only an adjustment performed at the nut and locknut on the top. Also with an ampmeter connected in series, this horn should draw 9.6 amps minimum.  When I ran test leads the best it would draw was 2.66 amps and there was just a little momentary bleep out of it. But it doesnt appear there are any moving parts other than those two nuts.  Is that correct?  Is there any point in pursuing any lubrication in here?  

I appreciate any help.

Thanks

John D

2 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

This is my drivers side horn with the cover removed. 

20200529_172828.thumb.jpg.493d00e2d8f9b3aedd25d86800a4729e.jpg

This one horn has never been heard by me and I am wondering if anyone can help repair it? 

20200529_172833.thumb.jpg.a8c8b721d5d95fbd6ae29ae4f97450e6.jpg

According to the manual there is only an adjustment performed at the nut and locknut on the top. Also with an ampmeter connected in series, this horn should draw 9.6 amps minimum.  When I ran test leads the best it would draw was 2.66 amps and there was just a little momentary bleep out of it. But it doesnt appear there are any moving parts other than those two nuts.  Is that correct?  Is there any point in pursuing any lubrication in here?  

I appreciate any help.

Thanks

John D

See the link below to read how a vehicle electric horn works.  There should be a diaphragm under that assembly and a set of contacts to interrupt the circuit.  It looks pretty crusty in there.  It could be the electromagnet is weak and thus not able to pull the diaphragm away, or the contacts are rusted/corroded.  Find the contacts and clean them.  There's a good chance this will solve your problem.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_horn#Motor_vehicles

• Thanks 1

Usually I can just file the points and sometimes I need to spark it from a power source to get it going; the adjust for a nice nasty tone that is reproduced every time it is activated.

Let the vibration liberate the dust along with compressed air before putting back together.

• Thanks 1