1963 Imperial LeBaron - $3,875 - Not Mine

A 1963 Imperial LeBaron 4-dr. HT: 413 V-8 & loaded with gadgets - $3875 (Denton) - Not Mine

https://lincoln.craigslist.org/cto/d/denton-1963-chrysler-imperial-lebaron-4/7130978302.html

When is the last time you saw one of these sleek beauties? I'm guessing the sightings have been few, given that Chrysler built just 1,537 top-of-the-line Imperial LeBarons in 1963! (Source: Standard Catalog of American Cars: 1946-1975.)

This particular car retains all the bobbles and do-dads with which it was equipped at the factory - even the rare trim pieces that typically go missing on a nearly 60-year-old car. It has its four chromed free-standing headlamps; eagle hood ornament; all four "turbine-tower" hubcaps; a beautiful grill; gorgeous full-length side trim; intact plastic taillight and turn-signal lenses; remote-control (cable) driver's-side outdoor rearview mirror; and even the plastic ornament at the center of the Imperial LeBaron's iconic "spare tire" molded into the trunk lid.

And, of course, the car is loaded. Under the hood is a 413-cid, 340-hp V-8, equipped with a Carter AFB 4-barrel carburetor. Other features include a push-button automatic transmission, factory AC, power brakes, power steering, power windows, 6-way power-adjusting front seat, Chrysler's Auto Pilot cruise control, automatic-scanning radio with a power antenna, a lever-action day-night inside rearview mirror, center armrests for both the front and back seats, and a locking glove box.

The car was running when I bought it from an Imperial collector several years ago. Because the engine still cranks with vigor, I suspect that following a quick flush of the fuel lines it will start up again with ease. All the body mounts - a rust-prone area - are rock-solid.

If you want to buy a perfect '63 LeBaron, I suggest you attend a Barrett-Jackson auction - and be prepared to spend $18,000 to $20,000! If, however, you don't mind honing your restoration skills on a solid, nice-looking and complete Imperial road rocket at a fraction of the money a pristine car would command, this LeBaron could be yours.

LOCATION: 18 miles southwest of Lincoln, between Denton and Crete, and 10 miles south of Interstate 80 from Exit 388, the Pleasant Dale-Crete interchange. I'm about a 20- or 25-minute drive from the Lincoln city limits.

CONTACT INFO: Text or phone me, Curt, at show contact info . If you text or reply via Craigslist e-mail, please help me screen scammers by telling me your first name, town or city of residence and its approximate population.

COVID-19 PRECAUTIONS: RIP 100,000 Americans who have died of Covid-19 complications. To help limit the further spread of the virus, anyone wanting to inspect this car must be willing to wear a mask and practice social distancing.

TITLING THIS CAR: As sometimes happens with older vehicles, this Imperial came to me lacking a title. This can be scary for potential buyers who have never encountered this problem. Of the 75 or so collector cars I've owned over the past 45 years, I'd say at least half have had either no titles (people being people, they lose them!) or title problems (serial nos. off by a digit or the engine number not matching the title's because someone switched engines, and the like).
The Nebraska DMV has seen it all. Accordingly, the DMV has a simple, two-step process by which a new owner can receive a title for an untitled car:
First, take the car in for a $10 sheriff's inspection, which in Lincoln can be done at Motor Vehicle Services, 625 N. 46th. Bring two items with you: a notarized bill of sale (which I will provide) and a filled-out 1-page form, "Affidavit & Application for Certificate of Title for a Classic Motor Vehicle." (You can print this document from the Nebraska DMV website.)
Second, following the sheriff's inspection, mail or hand-deliver to the Nebraska DMV the sheriff's inspection report, notarized bill of sale and completed "Affidavit & Application."
The DMV will search computer databases for a record of this car. If it finds none, it will issue a title: $25. Fine and good. You're done!
If it finds an "owner of record" in its databases -- and I'm quoting now from the Neb. DMV website -- "the owner information may be used to pursue issuance of a bonded title."
I've used the Forsyth Insurance Agency, show contact info , at the Piedmont Center in Lincoln to obtain a half-dozen bonded titles over the years, most recently last fall. The cost of the bond is relative to the price of the car; a bonded title for this car would be about $100.
Read all about it for yourself on dmv.nebraska.gov/dvr/mvtitles. Click on the "Classic Motor Vehicle" button.

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1963 Imperial LeBaron.

'63 Imperial LeBaron CL NE a.jpg

'63 Imperial LeBaron CL NE aa.jpg

'63 Imperial LeBaron CL NE aaa.jpg

'63 Imperial LeBaron CL NE b.jpg

'63 Imperial LeBaron CL NE c.jpg

'63 Imperial LeBaron CL NE d.jpg

'63 Imperial LeBaron CL NE e.jpg

'63 Imperial LeBaron CL NE f.jpg

'63 Imperial LeBaron CL NE g.jpg

Sorry.  The seller wants another bail out of a purchase and is a story teller who likes to read his own words.  It cost him $5. I hope he enjoyed it. (The story). 

He describes in great detail how to get a title “easy” in Nebraska yet has not bothered to do so in his ownership years.  Same with getting the car running. You (meaning the buyer) do it!  It’s easy. !  I just want my cash and the nearly 3 ton boat anchor gone. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

He describes in great detail how to get a title “easy” in Nebraska ....

No such thing. One of the more difficult states. Don't ask me how I know...it's too painful. 😄 I live just a few miles from where this car is, and I wouldn't waste my time to go and see it...except maybe to call the seller a liar to his face, were I so inclined.

There may be another  process through a company in Vermont that might get you a title, but I've yet to hear of anyone who's actually made use of it, so I'd take that with a grain of salt. No, there are only two reasons why this solid looking car is so cheap:

1) It has no title

2) It doesn't run

Were the seller able to rectify those issues, he'd easily be able to sell the car for another two thousand dollars more. As Mr. Moran implied, the seller is full of it.

I agree.  If the seller just puts it in CL because he wants to move it and leaves out his story and simply states it does not run and has no title I am fine.  Buyers can then decide on price. Imperials are neat but complicated cars. I have gotten a bonded title in Iowa. Yes it can be done. But it’s still a process. 

The 1963 Imperial LeBaron, only for its apparent reasonable condition and model desirability, is presented only for consideration by those interested in its prospective purchase.

This posting does not endorse the salability with regard to title or mechanical issues.  Caveat Emptor.

• Like 1