searching across Facebook (and other sites) for any car

TL;DR I started http://cultcars.us to find classic cars for sale across all of Facebook Marketplace (and other sites like AutoTrader Classic and eBay)

13 years ago (!) on these forums, I shared a site to search for classic cars across Craigslist and other various popular classic car sites.  Now that Craigslist charges a fee to list automotive classified ads, many people have moved onto Facebook for listing their car.  Facebook is not a great site for finding what you are looking for, especially when it is outside of your home area.  So I created a site to find classic cars across all of Facebook Marketplace (among other sites).  

...and if you have any suggestions please let me know!  Trying to make something useful.

Edited by jaXed
asking for suggestions (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, TG57Roadmaster said:

I remember that portal you created and it was very helpful until, if I recall, Craigslist eventually forbade such nationwide searches.

Good luck with the new one!

You are right!  But it looks like Facebook is king now.  I'd also like to add OfferUp and some of the other free sites that I see a lot of cars on.

• Like 1

jaXed you are a trouble maker!!!  🤬  How in the heck am I ever going to get out of this recliner now that you've created this nice search option. I could and have spent hours looking at cars. 😀

Thanks you for your efforts . 

• Like 1

You can search Craigslist through searchtempest.  A member here also pointed out that if you use the * as a place holder it lets you search say 1930's. buy putting in 193*.  It works very well.  It won't work on facebook though.  If I wanted to find 1930's Auburn Parts using search tempest it makes pretty short work of it. 

I'll have to try your search method for Facebook as that is the most frustrating unfriendly classified sit eI have ever used.

One can also use CLAZ.org for picking up smaller local traders. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've updated the site so you can narrow down your searches by location - either US state or "region" :

Here is a search for just California:

https://cultcars.us/cgi-bin/listings.cgi?q=1948-1952+buick&loc=CA

...and the Midwest:

https://cultcars.us/cgi-bin/listings.cgi?q=1948-1952+buick&loc=XM

Maybe this will help a bit when there are a ton of listings.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,I tried before but not much luck and now that Craigslist charges money I thought I'd give you a try.I have a real nice 74 chrome bumper mgb which looks like an earlier interior. Runs good with good top four speed non overdrive that I would like to trade even for something a little easier for my wife to get in and out of,same year or older car or truck foreign or domestic just seeing what's out there.I paid $6500 for it five years ago and since have done some upgrades,original type radio,fog lights,replaced brake hoses,custom pin striping. Thanks,Greg.

IMG_20200107_105426_hdr.jpg

IMG_20200107_105510_hdr.jpg

IMG_20200107_105451_hdr.jpg

• 7 months later...

Got an update:  I scoured my logs to see which 10 vehicles are the most popular on the site - Now I will admit that most of the stuff is more recent (1970s and up) but I do see older (antique) makes and models getting decent search traffic as well.  I plan to make some videos about that in the coming weeks.

Anyway, here is a video about the top 10 searched vehicles for March/April:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...