Touching up bumpers

doity

I know that this topic has been covered here before but I still had another question regarding this.  I scraped the top part of the front bumper along with a little bit of the black bumper guard recently.  I searched the forums and found some good info.  I took one guys advise and used 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper and used that to remove the scratches on the chrome part and then polished with wadding cloth.  The problem is that when I masked off the lower part a lot of old peeling black paint came with it when removed. So what would had been an easy paint touch-up job became much worse.

Truthfully the front bumper was peeling in numerous spots before  but now there is a longish strip of that black coating gone.  It is not really worth it to me to bring it to a paint shop as it is not really that important as to spend $$ on, but is there any paint that I can use to fill in a largish area that would blend well without spraying it?    Maybe also some kind of tape or something that would adhere to the bumper and blend in well and become semi-permanent?  

Thanks for any tips tips they are much appreciated.

Luke

4 hours ago, handmedownreatta said:

you do realize that the bumpers are aluminum not chrome?

That is a big help, thanks.  I guess next you are also going to tell me that Dubuque isn’t the Capital of Iowa.  Or that the sun doesn’t orbit the Earth?

On 5/28/2020 at 9:46 PM, doity said:

... The problem is that when I masked off the lower part a lot of old peeling black paint came with it when removed. So what would had been an easy paint touch-up job became much worse.

Truthfully the front bumper was peeling in numerous spots before  but now there is a longish strip of that black coating gone.  It is not really worth it to me to bring it to a paint shop as it is not really that important as to spend $$ on, but is there any paint that I can use to fill in a largish area that would blend well without spraying it?    Maybe also some kind of tape or something that would adhere to the bumper and blend in well and become semi-permanent?  

Thanks for any tips tips they are much appreciated.

Luke

I think a tape job would probably be more noticeable than the missing paint. If it were me I would tape and mask off the aluminum part of the bumper, sand the rubber trim smooth and then spray with a rattle can from the auto parts store. Dupli-color has about any color in small spray cans.  I saw them the last time I was in AutoZone. Another option is to order a good used rubber trim strip from Jim Finn if you want the bumper to look it's best.

Thanks Ronnie.  I like your suggestion but I would be too worried about overspray and the paint running.  I usually have better results painting something when it is lying flat.  The tape thing was just a thought after picking up a large piece that came off and noticed that it was not brittle but bendable like tape.