No, not fans of automobilia - automobilia fans!   I've collected them for a long time.  Moneypit posted a photo of one from his collection and it's a wonderful fan illustrated by famed automotive artist Montaut.  His works were done with a process known as "pochoir" where stone lithographs were produced with simple black outlines.  Color was applied by artists using stencils and individual colors, usually water color.  The process was created to enable rapid production assembly-line style.  Each artist would apply an individual color, then move the print along to the next artist who would use their individual stencil and color.  The process continued until the print was completed.  Montauts early racing scene prints became famous and are sought by collectors of automobilia today.  Quite a number survived thanks to the discovery of unsold editions at the original studio in France many years ago. 

Montaut also produced the prints later turned into fans, and several varieties are know to exist.  The same image that you have shows up as advertising for several different hotels and restaurants, most notably Hotel Knickerbocker, Hotel lriquois, and Care Martin.  There were other artists who produced similar work as you can see from items pictured in my collection.  The earliest fan I've got is the one for "Chalet Touring" which advertises an early French tourist chalet.

There are a lot of other great fans out there too and they are collected by not only automobilia enthusiasts, but also by people who collect illustrated fans, and also advertising items.   Here are a few from my collection:

Terry

Fan 1.jpg

Fan 2.jpg

Fan 3.jpg

Fan 5.jpg

Fan 4.jpg

Fan 8.jpg

• Like 2

Here are a few additional fans from my collection.  Anyone else got a few?

Terry

Ford fan front.jpg

Fan Ford garage 1.jpg

Fan ladies fixing flat tire.jpg

Fan lady driving early car.jpg

Fan lady driving.jpg

Fan two ladies hehind windshield.jpg

Fan.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Terry, that's great.  Have not seen one of those before.  Intended to respond to your earlier posts -you've got some great stuff!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...