The AACA Eastern fall National Meet (Hershey) Flea Market and Corral has been cancelled 2020

trimacar

Coalter, you might want to contact us to see if we have your correct email.  You also might want to be sure you have not opted out of receiving emails from us and you might also make sure our emails are not going to spam.  We ARE showing an email for you and our computer files do not pick and choose who will get emails!  If we have your email, and it is a national email there is no reason except for the above that you do not get it!  If you have been getting monthly Speedster emails you should have had the one we sent!

3 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

So true! I see all the No Mask people as selfish b*stards.

...Now, get out and enjoy your antique vehicles!

Frank, I'll have to disagree, though I kindly respect your opinion.

I was at an Amish and Mennonite small grocery store the other

day--not terribly far from Hershey--and everything was normal.

No barriers, no masks, no distance-keeping.  The few "English"

customers had masks.  I see these people, right or wrong, as

self-sufficient, hardy people, much like our forebears.  Not all

Amish stores around here are like that, though, I hear from others.

Now, your second sentence:  Great advice!  I heartily agree!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Just read that the Boston marathon, a race with up to 30,000 runners has been canceled. Details are sketchy but it seems already registered runners can participate in a "virtual" marathon. If a runner can document they ran, or run, a 26.2 mile marathon in 6 hours or less they will receive a number bib and a medal.

Maybe Hershey can have a virtual show.

If you are registered and If your car has already received a Junior just submit 6 recently dated pix and you will get your virtual Senior award.

You will receive, by Email,  a full size, 6 color picture of a recent Hersey banquet with a pix of your car photo shopped in, and a beautiful

pix of your trophy suitable for framing after you print it out, and a life size pix of your grill badge suitable for laminating and mounting.

Don't get mad, guys. Lighten up. A little tongue in cheek never hurts.

OTOH..........Hmmmm?...............Bob

9 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Bear in mind, John, that the Amish pretty much self-isolate all the time.

Not around here they don't. They may not mix socially but they have NO problem at all conducting and running businesses of all sorts and kinds. Never on Sunday, Though.

There's also Mennonites. Never can keep them straight. There's a local farm where we hang glide. The owners and kids always come over and talk and socialize. They can use tractors but can't have rubber tires. they use steel tires. No electricity in their homes but they have a communal phone on an outside pole. Some only use horses. Others can drive but paint all the chrome black. Others can't drive a car but can rent drivers to take them around.

By and large gentle friendly folks...........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Bear in mind, John, that the Amish pretty much self-isolate all the time.

Negative.  Around here their shops are open to the public and of the ones that are in retail the majority of their customers are us -- nurseries, groceries, leather shops, etc.  I deal with some of the carriage shops and they have a lot of we "English" going in there, too.  If your money is green they will take it.  They shop at WalMart and use the local banks enough that they even put in hitching posts for them.  

• Like 2

My wife and I used to take week-long courses at the Wooden Boat School in Brooklyn, Maine.  Meals are family style.  One year we shared a table with a Mennonite couple from Michigan.  They were farmers, but they had a Cessna 172 in their barn.  My grandson became a Mennonite, and he's a civil engineer.

9 hours ago, 41 Su8 said:

How long will we as a nation put up with all of these mandates and penalties that were never passed by a state or federal legislature.  The Supreme Court needs to act now!!!

Most state constitutions or statutes already grant this power to the governor or the governor's agent.  It hasn't been used in a while, sure, but it's there and has been for a long time.  Either way, there's not much for for the U.S. Supreme Court to act on.  These rules are generally a matter of state law, not the federal law that the U.S. Supreme Court deals with.

Steve, with all the different strings being pulled in many directions this decision, though a sad one was the smart one. I'm sure our great hobby will survive and come back stronger.

BUT I will miss Brother Joe's Pizza and dinner at Vino. 

Everyone connected  keep smiling . Steve

10 hours ago, 41 Su8 said:

How long will we as a nation put up with all of these mandates and penalties that were never passed by a state or federal legislature.  The Supreme Court needs to act now!!!

Both courts acted. See Below.

Pennsylvania Supreme Court Affirms Governor’s Power to Issue COVID-19 Executive Order

U.S. Supreme Court declines to lift Pennsylvania COVID-19 health order

11 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

I heard this from a friend and he forwarded me the email.  I am a Past President and to this day I've still never received
"the email".  I wonder how many more members are in that same boat.  

Earl, I would suggest you make sure that AACA HQ has your current email address. I seem to recall that you have changed email addresses about 3 times in the past several years when you were having some computer issues. I suspect that they still have your old email address on file.  

51 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

Earl, I would suggest you make sure that AACA HQ has your current email address. I seem to recall that you have changed email addresses about 3 times in the past several years when you were having some computer issues. I suspect that they still have your old email address on file.  

No, I told them to stop sending me emails looking for more moeny, and evidently I canceled receiving any emails at the same time.  I've done all the donating I can afford to do already.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, edinmass said:

OK, I'm trying to figure this out...............an event which does NOT charge an entrance fee for tens of thousands of people over five days.............and people are complaining that the club and region don't want to gamble 200K or better up front just to find out the state, county, township, lawyers, insurance companies, and a bunch of other people who could pull the plug at the last minute? It was obvious the fall meet was doomed back in April. Sad, depressing, but true. If they can pull off a car show, I will come the 1500 miles to see it.........and of the last 49 years, I have only stayed for the show three times. The logic of going even if it's only a smaller show........a placeholder for employment time off/vacation week. I figure I'll haul my car down to the area and tour with it..........

Ed, I'll meet you in my old Packard and buy you a drink!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

I sure hope you are not referring to the region members as lazy or pansies!  Hard to understand your meaning.  They have been working hundreds of hours on the show for this year every since last year's show finished.  They do this for free for our benefit. My previous post explained what the problem is and that is the facts in this matter.  Everyone needs to put their feet in the shoes of those who are doing the work, taking the risks and outlaying their financial resources.  I also stated that the legal issue did NOT drive the decision.  Our state government did and when your existence is threatened if you disobey the rules then you must do the sensible thing. 

Steve,

I meant the USA.   Not the aaca volunteers that setup and run the show.    We all have opinions on the subject but the CDC released a death rate of less than .3%.  Yes, that is .3%.  

I understood in the beginning when the numbers scared most everybody.  We were scared for a couple weeks until the data started flowing.  

At this point who even knows how many have actually died from the virus as money is given for each death labeled "Covid".  

We are supposed to live in fear the rest of our lives and hide behind masks.  If I was high risk I'd stay home.  Right now I'm not going to live on my knees and I won't have my identity taken away by some homemade mask that doesn't work anyway.  

Here in Michigan we can't go to church but we can get pot/booze/lotto and put covid positive people in retirement homes.  Something is wrong and people need to wake up if they love the good old USA.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

AACA Grand Nationals & Hershey Car Show Update

The Board of Directors of the Antique Automobile Club of America (AACA) has faced many new challenges this year and has been forced to make difficult decisions because of COVID-19. Our primary focus has been service to our members, along with a deep concern for the welfare of our membership. As we begin to rebuild our activities calendar, we are pleased and excited to make the following announcements:

We have rescheduled the Annual Grand Nationals at The NB Center for American Automotive Heritage in Allentown, Pennsylvania, to August 21 and 22, 2020. This will include our annual Zenith competition. The 22nd will be the date of the show itself. We will send out an email to all those who register for the event with further instructions and information. Naturally, there will be quite a few changes. A couple of very important items to note is that the grounds at The NB Center will be available to current AACA members only and that everyone will have to sign a waiver of liability to The NB Center. There also will be no closing banquet, but we are working on a potential replacement on the field. Any AACA member who would like to register for the Grand Nationals, please do so online at members.aaca.org. The limit on cars has been reduced to 600. You may also call AACA Headquarters at 717-534-1910 to request registration materials be mailed to you. If you have already registered, there is no need to re-register. Anyone who cannot make the new date can request a refund by emailing our registration chairman Pat Buckley at pbuckley@aaca.org. If the State of Pennsylvania does not approve our event by July 22, we will be forced to cancel it completely and as such refund in full all registrations.

Again, please understand preparation for this event is fluid, but we will communicate all details to registrants in plenty of time prior to the show.  Also we have called all the hotels on our original list to let them know about the date change but please call your hotel and confirm new dates.  There will be no Thursday activities. 

Additionally, we have previously announced that the Eastern Fall Nationals in Hershey, Pennsylvania, is planned as a car show only event on October 10, 2020. The Hershey Region AACA, AACA and Hershey Entertainment & Resorts are solidly behind this effort. We are all taking steps to ensure the show is done in a safe manner. This event is also fluid, but a plan is coming together and we believe you will be happy to have the opportunity once again to experience Hershey in the fall. Chocolate World is now open! As stated above, we can plan, work, spend and do everything necessary to host you, but Hershey will also require approval by the State of Pennsylvania to be held this year. We are cautiously optimistic this can be done.

Starting in July, any AACA member who would like to register for the Hershey car show may do so online at members.aaca.org or call headquarters to request registration materials be mailed to them. If you have already requested registration materials be sent to you, there is no need to request them again. If a refund is necessary, it will be done in the same manner as the Grand Nationals.

We look forward to hosting these events and welcome your participation and support of the AACA and the antique automobile hobby. In the meantime, stay safe, stay involved in the hobby in any way you can and hopefully soon we can enjoy being together celebrating the history of the “automobile.”

On 5/30/2020 at 7:31 AM, Janousek said:

If I was high risk I'd stay home.  Right now I'm not going to live on my knees and I won't have my identity taken away by some homemade mask that doesn't work anyway.  

Well isn't that nice.  No regard for those high risk who need to go out for supplies, just breathe all over them by not wearing a mask. Are you doing the shopping for those at risk? Or just being selfish?Wearing a mask is something nice to do for others, but people are too selfish to even do a little something.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...