Skylark4367

Rock Auto return problem - are they trying to rob me?

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 12:59 PM, Bhigdog said:

Sal, Joe or Steve at my local NAPA store don't have return buttons and yet they cheerfully make it right even if every now and then it's my screw up. Even though I'm not big customer I'm on their "best net price schedule". If it's not in stock it's usually there early next AM.

Good guys, good local store, and no annoying TV commercials.

Your results may vary...............Bob

I have had an open account with my local NAPA for about 45 years. Two owner changes.

The outfit that owns it now is a local family that I know fairly well. They own about ten stores.

I have NEVER been late paying my monthly bill with them

The son runs it all now. He's around thirty years old I would guess.

I have never really price shopped them until recently when I needed some brake drums that they didn't have.

The relatively new Auto Zone did have them and for about half of the money.

I had AZ check some other prices only to find out that I am not getting a very good deal from NAPA.
I brought that up with the NAPA owner and was told that I don't spend enough money with them to get the good deals.

So I asked if they would take better care of a long time customer with a good pay record.

Cant do it, you don't spend enough here.

My reply was "isn't part of something better that all of nothing?"

A fairly good retired friends cocky dick head son wonders why his numbers are down.

I rarely shop at NAPA any more as I don't spend enough for them to match what Auto Zone offers EVERYBODY.

I do use the subject site if I can wait for parts. Which is about half of the time.

I'm guessing every store sets their own pricing policy and "net price" schedule. I'm friendly with my store's second generation owners. Even though I'm not a big spender they seem to value my business. They are flanked by an Auto Zone, an Advance Auto, and a WalMart. that might have something to do with it.

Your results may vary...............Bob

On 5/28/2020 at 6:03 PM, Peter J.Heizmann said:

Suggestion, Gwells.  In all fairness to Rock Auto and you being an Administrator on this forum you could send an e-mail bringing this thread to their attention to hopefully receive a response or explanation.  If successful this whole issue could be resolved.  It has always been  against forum rules to use the AACA forum as the media for complaints  between a customer and supplier.  Try it.

Regards, 

Peter J.

The shipping is likely more than the air filter. Just sayin'

• Like 1

I hate seeing respectable longstanding companies being sullied on here, there are usually too many "bandwagoners". I've used Rock Auto for years for many makes, and service has been excellent always, great prices, fast shipping, any hitch's attended to quickly. As someone mentioned, usually if a part is not correct and value is not high, they simply send you the right one and tell you to ditch the other one. They are a big operation, and dealing with returns is likely not worth the effort of paying return postage, re-examining part, cleaning it, re-packaging it etc. As I see it, the original problem is with the poster telling RA he put part on car. Now how to put the toothpaste back in the tube, it was your mistake as much as theirs so be patient and maybe you will get somewhere. And others, please stop jumping on a retailer who is not on this site able to defend himself. I agree that moderators should try to screen out this stuff. AACA is not a complaints department.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

I hate seeing respectable longstanding companies being sullied on here, there are usually too many "bandwagoners". I've used Rock Auto for years for many makes, and service has been excellent always, great prices, fast shipping, any hitch's attended to quickly. As someone mentioned, usually if a part is not correct and value is not high, they simply send you the right one and tell you to ditch the other one. They are a big operation, and dealing with returns is likely not worth the effort of paying return postage, re-examining part, cleaning it, re-packaging it etc. As I see it, the original problem is with the poster telling RA he put part on car. Now how to put the toothpaste back in the tube, it was your mistake as much as theirs so be patient and maybe you will get somewhere. And others, please stop jumping on a retailer who is not on this site able to defend himself. I agree that moderators should try to screen out this stuff. AACA is not a complaints department.

This above right here is the answer!

Posted (edited)

Jack M- Similar issue with a smaller parts store chain that carries more things for older cars. Through my employer I get 25% off at Advanced Auto.  Asked the manager if he could give me a discount as I did a fair amount of business and would do much more with the discount. Was told I was a "retail" customer, not a "commercial" customer, so no additional discounts. I explained my volume of parts would be close to some of his smaller commercial accounts. Didn't matter. No "achy breaky heart" for me if they close up.

As for Rock Auto, no problems with returns and on a few occasion they told me to keep the wrong parts. Last time was on some drive belts for my Lebaron. Needed 2 for a double pulley (A/C and alternator) and although they sent the same part number and manufacturer, the packaging was different as if from a different year or lot codes. They were close to the same size but not the same and one was smooth and the other had "ribs".  Why the guy/gal packaging for shipment didn't notice this, I don't know. Rock Auto said they would sent out a new one, match it to what I already had, and keep the other  one as a spare. 

Edited by ia-k (see edit history)

I think that if they were trying to rob you, they might go for more than the price of an air filter.  My experience with Rock Auto, including returns and replacements for parts that were not the right match, has been nothing but top notch all the way.

• Like 1

I have to say despite my earlier issue I still deal with Rock Auto. and usually am very pleased with the results. I especially like exploring their deals pages for my cars.

I recently ordered some parts from Rock Auto, but one set was incorrect.  I went to their on line site in an attempt to contact them, but could not find any contact  information on their website.  I think that from now on, I'll stick with folks like Summit who are easy to contact and are knowledgeable and courteous.

NAPA is great, but their prices tend to be pretty high.

Cheers,

Grog

Have a choice of vendors. Some have free shipping and returns (and say so), others don't. Prices are comparable. Your choice.

I have returned two items that I bought from Rockauto over the years and had no issues.  One was a defective wheel bearing/hub assembly that failed in a few thousand miles, the other, more recently, was a catalytic converter that was missing a (welded on) bracket.  They paid for return shipping on that one since it was obviously a QA problem with their supplier.  So I can't complain.