More cars from where my 1936 Chrysler Airstream convertible came from

Professor

These all look like very worthwhile cars. It would appear he has taken good care of them, in spite of needing cleaning and freshening. The Jewett is the one I really like. It would look wonderful parked next to my Paige. However, I cannot be in the market to buy anything these days. But I still look forward to more pictures of other cars!

Thank you for helping your friend.

More Chevrolet... and a couple of old oil cans for artistic effect. 🙂

I believe I have captured most of the requested images with the exception of the 1962 and 1963 Cadillac convertibles which I will take pictures of early next week.

I would like to run something by this group to make sure I am not giving the owner bad advice.  All of these vehicles ran when parked, and I have advised him not to allow anyone to start an engine under any circumstances.  My thought is that without appropriate preparation including lubricating the cylinders for a couple of weeks, flushing out the old fuel, etc,. These engines can be damaged.  In my opinion, only the final owner should start these engines, and no one else.

Speaking for myself, there is joy in taking care of these simple tasks before bringing the engine back to life... and only the final owner should experience this joy... no one else.

I would appreciate comments and thoughts on this concept.  I do not want to give the owner bad advice.

Best,

Joe

5C1328F4-DD5B-4C29-8749-8C671CE3D1EC.jpeg

6071A2FF-3561-4A1D-99D4-2F4D25E18556.jpeg

593DFDD6-BC7D-46F8-8825-EE8C4D4569F4.jpeg

4B493C0B-1C4B-4275-B2EF-D66A2CF7553E.jpeg

F0C60C8F-A1B8-4970-883E-C1B9B9768540.jpeg

F3FCB111-B382-44EA-8248-5FCC4FB6646D.jpeg

DC47A338-EE67-44E7-A4CC-100E8F534890.jpeg

• Like 1

I agree with you 100%. My '25 Buick hadn't been started since the mid 1970's. The estate executor was going to try to fire it up and then auction it off. I made him a cash offer as is,where is and ended up with the car. It took considerable effort to get it all sorted out,especially the fuel system. Trying to start it without at least changing all the fluids is a recipe for trouble.

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

I agree the Chevy looks like it was really nicely restored.  Wish they would have moved it when whatever started leaking.  Boy that did alot of damage. 

It is just dust and dirt, with the exception of the rear bumper.  When I looked at it, I did not see any damage other than the bumper and dirty paint.

5 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

What about the white Van. Low miles? Any photos?

I will take some Pictures for you when I go back

5 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

What year is the Cad?

Forty something?

1 hour ago, wayne sheldon said:

It may be newer than my main interests, but I like that Chevy convertible! I "think" it is a '49? The trunk handle isn't what I recall on '49 Chevrolets.

You are correct.  It is a 49.

I bet if you clean it up,  you will find more damage.  I always do.  The trunk ornament is most likely pitted and there may be some paint issues going on as that mess looks like it could have lasting effects on the paint.  Still a neat car,  just the storage has notched it down a bit from what looks like a near number 1 car that had been a body off resto from the looks when it was parked. 

10 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I bet if you clean it up,  you will find more damage.  I always do.  The trunk ornament is most likely pitted and there may be some paint issues going on as that mess looks like it could have lasting effects on the paint.  Still a neat car,  just the storage has notched it down a bit from what looks like a near number 1 car that had been a body off resto from the looks when it was parked. 

I would be surprised if the paint did not have some sort of damage but l would hate to start trying to remove the dust and dirt only to cause more damage.  

Hi All,

Because of my lack of senior status, I am limited in the number of PMs and posts I can send each day.  Essentially, a PM counts as a single post, and I think I have roughly seven posts allowed per day.  Every day I run into the message that I have run out of posts for the day, which means I cannot possibly respond to all the PMs each day.  Because of this, I have obtained permission to share the name and phone number of the owner of the vehicles directly.  The owner indicates that he is comfortable fielding all of the calls.

If you would like the owner’s contact information, please send me an email to:

drjoewest at iCloud dot com (use the appropriate symbols “@“ and “.”)

Use the subject line “AACA Barn Find Contact Information” to ensure your email is not filtered.,

I will send his contact information to you.

Best,

Joe

• Like 1

Guest Mark McAlpine

Thank you for taking the time to post all these photos, Joe, and to answer everyone's questions and requests for more info & photos.  I hope all of your friend's cars find new homes.

Thanks for posting. Amazing collection.

Having said that, what would you say is the number one old-car-storage lesson to be learned from all of this? I'm asking sincerely and without judgement. I've owned "old" cars and motorcycles between 15 -20 years now and I don't want the three old vehicles I currently have to deteriorate like some in this collection have.

Dodge truck found a new home yesterday... it looks like the Jewett and 41 Cadillac may find new homes next week.   The owner’s wife thought she would be fine with watching the vehicles go, but it turns out she was more attached to them than she thought.  Gotta love a wife who is a car person!

I hope the folks who are taking these vehicles home have the same Christmas Day feeling I had when bring the Chrysler home.

What a hobby this is...

On 6/5/2020 at 5:19 PM, JamesR said:

Thanks for posting. Amazing collection.

Having said that, what would you say is the number one old-car-storage lesson to be learned from all of this? I'm asking sincerely and without judgement. I've owned "old" cars and motorcycles between 15 -20 years now and I don't want the three old vehicles I currently have to deteriorate like some in this collection have.

If one cannot take care of all of them, one has too many.  I believe this happens to many as age progresses.

Ben

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Would it be appropriate for me to post pictures of Hermann  Goring’s 540k Mercedes?  The gentleman who owns all of these cars also owns Herman Goering’s 1941 540k Mercedes.  I understand that anything associated with Hitler may be sensitive and I do not want to offend anyone, but I suspect that there are some people who might be interested in Goering’s Mercedes.  It is not restored and it has been partially disassembled.

Thoughts on whether or not I should post images?

Edited by Joe West (see edit history)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Joe West said:

I understand that anything associated with Hitler may be sensitive and I do not want to offend anyone

One cannot change what has already happened, Its history and albeit some is darker than another.

Along that vein, I don't see any logic to what is going on in the south.

Its like I will say occasionally..  "You cant unsee anything"

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

What is the second air cleaner in the Corvair ? Other than that it seems to be a rusty (parked near the ocean ?) 4-door, powerglide. Might be best donated to a 501C3.

My lesson is to be able to easily drive any car at any time. Otherwise you have coffee tables.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

On 8/1/2020 at 11:44 AM, Joe West said:

Would it be appropriate for me to post pictures of Herman Goering’s 540k Mercedes?  The gentleman who owns all of these cars also owns Herman Goering’s 1941 540k Mercedes.  I understand that anything associated with Hitler may be sensitive and I do not want to offend anyone, but I suspect that there are some people who might be interested in Goering’s Mercedes.  It is not restored and it has been partially disassembled.

Thoughts on whether or not I should post images?

Please post the pictures.  I'm sure there are many like me who would like to see them.  Like it or not, it is a part of history that should never be forgotten.

All,

Here is a link to a pdf file with almost 1,000 images of the Goring Mercedes.  It is easier to share these images this way rather than post them here.

https://bravemailuncp-my.sharepoint.com/:b:/g/personal/west_uncp_edu/EfDDRpHTmVxEgFNbjf7XimIBECLmlrkMGpCLseAos2pAHQ

Enjoy.

Joe

Edited by Joe West (see edit history)

I have owned Corvairs all of my life... literally.  The value of this corvair in my opinion is a very nice factory original interior, and low mileage engine and transmission. I would absolutely not undertake a restoration... rust scares the bejeezus out of me.

Corvairs came with one (turbo), two (standard), or four (140hp) carburetors.  I assume you are wondering about the fact that it has air cleaners on both heads, one per side?

On 8/1/2020 at 3:50 PM, padgett said:

What is the second air cleaner in the Corvair ? Other than that it seems to be a rusty (parked near the ocean ?) 4-door, powerglide. Might be best donated to a 501C3.

My lesson is to be able to easily drive any car at any time. Otherwise you have coffee tables.