Radiator shrouds

Bill Stoneberg

Think that 1953 may have been the first year for them, Bill, with the intro of the nailhead. My Roadmaster has one, but my Special, with the last 263 straight eight, does not. 

Edited by JBP (see edit history)

I’ve seen a few later model straight eights that have aftermarket shrouds on them. Anyone know if they make a significant difference in cooling or performance for the Fireball Eight?

On 6/5/2020 at 5:22 PM, BuickBob49 said:

I have a radiator shroud on my 1939 Roadmaster. I suspect the previous owner, the late David Corbin, added it to improve engine cooling. Nice metalwork!

1940 Service Bulletins show the factory made a small shroud  available and other procedures to do to improve the cooling on all 1939s.  Miss Dave and his Buick knowledge.

I’ve looked at a few aftermarket shroud options, but my Special stays with the needle right on the “N” even after some spirited driving over distance, and only takes about 5 minutes of cruising around 30 to get her back below the “N” on the gauge. I reasoned the Buick engineers must have figured the operating temperatures reached by the straight eight were where they needed to be for good performance, and so I never bothered with a shroud. 

I keep my eye open for the larger Harrison radiator, as my car has the smaller model with the adaptor plate on one side of the mount. Figured that would make that an easy upgrade. 

Edited by JBP (see edit history)