Clutch pedal

Danielle

Hi everyone. Recently I replaced the frame on my 51 plymouth.  I have a few questions. I have already checked my manual. 1 the clutch pedal slams to the floor. The adjusting bolt is as far in as it will go. Pictures attached. 2 I have installed new front brake pads. And cylinders.. do all 4 front cylinders need to be bled ? I have only tried bleeding the drivers side top cylinder. 3 I think I might have a hole the either oil pan or block.. not sure what the part is called. Picture attached.  

20200527_135244.jpg

20200527_131248.jpg

61 yes the clutch return spring (overcenter spring ) is there. Doesn't seem to do much in expanding.. i may have to replace it if I knew it was the culprit in this case. You see the frame is a donor frame and the pedal and pedal return spring that is attached to it are from a junk yard. I strangely remember the donors clutch pedal had a steel cable attached to it although I don't remember the old one having a cable 

Edited by Danielle (see edit history)

You may have gotten a frame from a '52 Plymouth instead of a '51.  The clutch linkage (and manufacturer....'51 is Borg & Beck, '52 is Auburn) changed from year to year.  The '51 has an over-center spring and the '52 has a 'lift spring' instead.  I think pictures are in the factory shop manual.

You need to bleed all 4 front cylinders to purge all the air.  Bleeding the rears is not a bad idea while you're at it.

• Like 1

Remove all linkage between pedal and throw out arm. Remove flywheel/clutch dust cover. Work throw out arm by hand to see if the throw out bearing is contacting the pressure plate fingers (use flash light). If the throw out arm reaches the end of it's travel before TO bearing contacts PP then something internally is wrong---like the TO arm pivot. If TO bearing contacts PP then measure the distance the adjustable link must cover. If distance is greater than the length of the link then a longer link is needed.

• Like 1

Thanks all for your help. I will work on that today. Also can the transmission oil leak? The oil is dark so I'm guessing its an oil leave at the rear main seal. I've drained the oil and intend the change the seals. No where in my manual states where to check the transmission fluid level