48 minutes ago, alsancle said:

My dad inherited hundreds of magazines from the 20s through 50s.   He then found this local flea market with a guy selling frames for 1.50 a piece.   He cut the car advertisements out of the magazines and framed them and would bring a dozen or two to Hershey each year.     He must have 100 of these framed advertisements sitting on the floor in the garage.    Back pre 2000 he would actually sell a few every year before ebay made it easy to find car advertisements and the market went to zero.

AJ in the 70s Bill Mcbride from Hartford made a living doing just that.  Over the years he adapted and I believe, still owns Jumping Frog rare and used books, and other paper stuff.  He was a character, had a couple old Hudsons in an apartment parking lot a couple miles from our house, still remember wanting to pry one away.

This is a great thread, need to make some contributions later...

Spent a good 45 minutes catching up on this thread last night.  Cannot believe I missed it till a day or so ago.  Will try to start contributions from our modest collection.  Typical stuff.  Smalls, signs, a couple pumps, etc.  It is eclectic, we go for condition and eye appeal vs. Marque or gas & oil branding.  My wife likes the smalls and has a good eye, I think.  

Some toppers, pens, keychains in one pic, her "Esso oil drop guy" smalls in another.

20210326_083529.jpg

20210326_083110.jpg

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This clock came out of an old garage in New Harbor, ME.  When they finally sold the contents that came out of it were fantastic. 

A big regret, I passed on a Mobile file box, pegasus logo with 30 or so customer records, "Mr. So and so.  1947 Packard Clipper" vehicle, maintenance notes etc. Ugh...

20210326_083340.jpg

• Like 1

And one more for today.  Pardon that this is a hot rod.  My wife found out they made a girls version and got this. With box and pamphlet, to go with yellow mate I have owned since age 4 or 5! 😊

20190731_174032.jpg

20190731_174629.jpg

I'm going to add a couple of items here rather than try and start a separate thread - these are pretty neat but scarce items - Tobacco jars/humidors. There are some varieties that are figural - depicting an image of a chauffeur, or early motorist.   One of my favorites is this chauffeur in the lower left corner.  It was produced by the German manufacturers WS&S - Wilhelm Schiller and Sons.  The company began in the 1800s but did not survive after WWI.  They were well known for producing majolica porcelains. The bright, bold colors are indicative of that style of pottery.  The cap of the chauffeur removes to access the tobacco stored inside.  A compartment made as part of the underside of the cap has a space to hold a damp sponge to keep the tobacco moist.

The three "cartoonish" humidors are designed by the Italian caricature artist Peko.  The designs for these particular humidors were taken from illustrations done in both postcard and lithographic form.  These three different humidors all have removable caps, again with a place for a damp sponge.  In the back, lower level is a full-figured, rotund chauffeur by an unknown artist.  It is quite early, probably European and painted in the majolica style.  

There are many other motoring related tobacco jars, some full figured motorists, and others simple containers with an automotive scene illustrated on them.  I'm always looking for others, as are of course those who collect smoking related artifacts.

Enjoy,

Terry

Collection of humidors.jpg

Full figured humidor.jpg

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Here is an item that I recently acquired that will interest both vintage car and watch collectors and has appeared in AACA and NAWCC forum postings in the past.  It is a 1927 Chevrolet radiator watch produced by the H. Didisheim Co., Switzerland.  A fairly rare item today, approximately 600-800 were made and not sold at retail.  They were given to salesmen "For Making Quota, 1927 Used Car Campaign" as inscribed on the back of the watch.  The majority of these Chevrolet watches are from 1927, but I did see a 1929 version online.  In the 1920's, Mido produced watches in the shape of automobile radiators from a wide variety of brands such as Buick, Bugatti, Fiat, Ford and Hispano-Suiza.  I also found a Mercedes Benz radiator grille watch produced by Bueche-Girod in the 1960's and a Corum Rolls Royce radiator grille watch from the 1970's being sold online.  In my watch, you will notice that the watch face is at a different angle than normal.  It takes a bit to get used to, but I enjoy wearing it.

IMG_0299.jpeg

IMG_0301.jpeg

IMG_0302.jpeg

• Like 3

This is wonderful! thanks for continuing to share all this great stuff from your collections everyone, it gives so much information just to see the actual object. Walt

Nothing wrong with going overboard unless you are buying on credit.  We have the Pate Swap meet coming up in  a little over 2 weeks and I can't wait.  Great collection of Buick memoribilia.  Reminds me that I have a similar heavy paper weight to the one you found.  The question is

4 hours ago, MetroPetro said:

IMG_7988.JPG

WHERE???

• Haha 1
20 hours ago, MetroPetro said:

Went a little overboard but was having withdrawal symptoms from all the shows being cancelled.

Wow, you did good, REEEEAL GOOD, scored some rare pieces, a few I have but some I've never even seen. Guess I need to try and make that show some day.  Congrats!!!

The Eastern Massachusetts Street Railway Company was a streetcar and later a bus company  beginning in 1919.  It was in service until  it was acquired by the Bay Transportation Authority in 1968.  I purchased this sign at the fall Mt Doro Antique Show 20 years ago. Although I was attracted by the graphics I always thought this was a fantasy piece.  Today I noticed that it is dated in the lower right hand corner A-M 1-63.  What do you think??

IMG_0430.jpg

A16FDDEB-64B6-4440-9ACB-0883529F67F1.jpeg

Edited by Robert G. Smits
correction (see edit history)
  • Like 1

A truly spectacular piece that a fellow collector was courteous enough to share recently on social media. I have a few of the plugs but has anyone else ever seen this display? 

JUMBO.png

• Like 3
5 hours ago, md murray said:

A truly spectacular piece that a fellow collector was courteous enough to share recently on social media. I have a few of the plugs but has anyone else ever seen this display? 

JUMBO.png

Yes, very familiar with it.  I've been outbid twice on these cabinets. Although its not a really rare spark plug for collectors, the display cabinets are. We have to compete with collectors of all kinds of graphic advertising, and this is one of the best. There are a couple of other varieties of these that are not so spactacular. 

As a plug collector, collecting these "go-withs"  I'd a pretty popular thing. 

Terry

• Like 3

Here is another category we've not explored yet- pocket knives. These are a few of the small. pen-knives in my collection. Thesr are made in Germany and are marked on the blade near where it is hinged. Quite a variety, some with advertising on them.  

Terry

20210318_160954.jpg

• Like 2

I bought this one in 1970 at Hershey and have carried it ever since. I replaced one of the rivets with a nail. The other rivet is now needing to be replaced. I was 17 when I bought it....

IMG_0861.JPG

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2021 at 9:43 PM, Robert G. Smits said:

FYI a can similar to this sold April 10th for $3500

Correct, that was at our auction :)

This is one of our recent additions for our next auction. The earliest known Oilzum sign. Referred to as the "bucktooth". 

9EDD7CD3-93AE-4737-A8C9-F5DAE2597BE7.jpeg