'57 Roadmaster oil change went bad!

364nailhead

After putting new oil and new filter on. Started up car, everything sounded ok. Heard a slight "Pop" looked underneath, the top and bottom of bolt of canister oil just gushing out! Jeeze! Had gasket in place, canister seemed to go on straight, bolt tightened up like I remember the last time... Confused? About all the oil I put in is now being soaked up with floor dry.. Any thought? Thanks!

3 hours ago, 364nailhead said:

After putting new oil and new filter on. Started up car, everything sounded ok. Heard a slight "Pop" looked underneath, the top and bottom of bolt of canister oil just gushing out! Jeeze! Had gasket in place, canister seemed to go on straight, bolt tightened up like I remember the last time... Confused? About all the oil I put in is now being soaked up with floor dry.. Any thought? Thanks!

Sounds like gasket popped out of place.

Make sure the cannister is seated straight on the gasket.  If there are any burs on the outer edge, file them down.  It can be a tight fit to get the cannister on properly.  I did that once as well.  A mess, for sure!!

That happened to me the second time I ever changed oil in my 55. I guess I got cocky after the first time when it was so easy and it was slightly askew. 
I was in a rental house at the time  and my brother still refers to that house as the Exxon Valdez. 
It will also happen if you have two gaskets in there. I have missed that fun, but my ex-employee did that one. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, old-tank said:

...and be sure to remove the old gasket before installing the new one...

Heed Old Tanks admonition........

If the Old gasket got petrified and stuck in the groove of the housing.....

then you put a nice new gasket on the canister........you get a gusher!

Happened to me in 1965 on my 55 Special.......what a mess .....but hey, I was 17!

• Thanks 1