Sign in to follow this  
M1842

55 Buick Differential

I decided to open up the diff to have a look at the gears and replace the seal as the diff is leaking oil.    So I loosened the bolts around the perimeter of the cover and then took out the bottom bolt and oil started flowing out of the hole.  Luckily I already had my catch basin ready and caught it.  The oil coming out was black with some red floating on the top, I almost filled my 7 qt basin. I am   assuming this means the seal between the torque tube and the differential is leaking.  I already knew the torque ball seal is bad.  Anything else I should look for in the drive train behind the transmission?

thanks,

Mark

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Torque tube seal is the culprit for leaking transmission fluid into the torque tube.   Some will drill and tap a small hole in the torque tube by the diff to drain any that may find its way there.   

• Thanks 1

Yes, take a good look at the neoprene seal at the forward end of the torque tube.  The prooeller shaft has a thin sleeve pressed on that spins in the seal.  It may be worn or rough.  You can move it to a smoother spot or pull it and turn it around.  File down any resulting burrs on the edges.

And put that drain screw in at rear end of the tube.  I check mine at every oil change because new or good gears are expensive, rare and a LOT of work.

When done, take it to a good diff shop for any needed adjustment of the ring.

• Thanks 1

Also look at the U joint area, which has a bronze bushing that supports the rear half of the U joint.  It may be worn, and Bob's has a replacement.  That cured a vibration I had.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fr. Buick said:

Yes, take a good look at the neoprene seal at the forward end of the torque tube.

Original seal was leather...either way it needs to be replaced  Transmission fluid will sometime get into the driveshaft through imperfect welds at the rear.  It will come out the same way it got in, but don't be surprised if you fluid in the torque tube for awhile ( you did drill a hole for draining and inspection didn't you?:rolleyes:)

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions, I will start implementing them as soon as I can.

Mark