Ever have a Turtle smash your windshield and go through the glass ? ?

Turtle smashes into car's windshield and nearly decapitates passenger in 'freak accident' on Georgia freeway

• Latonya Lark told WSAV-TV she was driving in Savannah this month when she saw an object that looked like a brick quickly approaching her car 
  • Her brother, Kevin Grant, was in the passenger seat and shielded his face as the animal collided with the windshield and sent shards of glass flying toward him 
  • He was left with only small cuts, he told the station
  • The turtle was taken to a local animal hospital but died 

Latonya Lark told WSAV-TV she was driving in Savannah this month when she saw an object that looked like a brick quickly approaching her car. It turned out to be the turtle

Lark's brother, Kevin Grant, was in the passenger seat and shielded his face as the animal collided with the windshield and sent shards of glass flying toward him

16 minutes ago, zepher said:

Story doesn't even seem to guess as to how a turtle because airborne in the first place.

Many reports of it raining frogs and fish from strong thermal activity so why not a turtle. I've soared with everything from newspapers, clouds of straw, spiders, to empty fertilizer bags. No turtles though.............Bob

6 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

Many reports of it raining frogs and fish from strong thermal activity so why not a turtle. I've soared with everything from newspapers, clouds of straw, spiders, to empty fertilizer bags. No turtles though.............Bob

Unless they were playing a live version of Mario Kart, I still don't see how a turtle became airborne.

80-red-turtle-shell-mario-kart-igns-top-

I once had a trout drop out of the sky onto the highway right in front of me.  Of course the bird that had just scooped it out of the lake made the wise decision to jettison the extra weight to gain altitude and avoid the traffic on the road.  

Bhigdog - I used to fly sailplanes.  Got into a thermal with a hang glider out of Ellenville years ago.  I was just below him, and had to fly a wider circle where the lift was weaker because I was heavier and faster.  Each of us saw the other, and we were paying attention, so it wasn't dangerous.  Sure was fun, though!

1 hour ago, oldcarfudd said:

Bhigdog - I used to fly sailplanes.  Got into a thermal with a hang glider out of Ellenville years ago.  I was just below him, and had to fly a wider circle where the lift was weaker because I was heavier and faster.  Each of us saw the other, and we were paying attention, so it wasn't dangerous.  Sure was fun, though!

I've flown with them a number of times. Never a problem. I can usually out climb them because I can wrap a tighter turn and core the thermal better. It's when we leave the thermal you guys have the big advantage. I'll be stuck in the sink with a 10 to 1 glide @ about 25 kts while you guys scoot off to the next boomer. Yup, Lots of fun.....................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)