1914 Center Door Willoughby

They have been trying to sell that car for a couple years now (I think it may have changed hands once during that time?). Usually asking too much for what (little) was and (a lot) wasn't there. It would be a crime to scrap such a rare body which could easily be mated to an appropriate chassis. The chassis that is with it is not correct, although I understand that it was used as a car this way, back in the '20s.  The body could date anywhere from 1913 to about 1918, and the company built bodies for many different marques during the teens years (almost anything in a mid-size car with appropriate distance between the firewall and rear fender could work?). Hard to know for sure from the photos, however it looks to me like the body isn't all that bad (does need quite a bit of wood repaired and replaced, however mostly intact and not sagging badly. I suspect restoring the body wouldn't be all that difficult for the right person. Proper upholstery would cost a small fortune.

It frankly just isn't worth much, in spite of its rarity and potential. I wish I was about four hundred miles closer and had a running tow vehicle (my Expedition is broke down). I certainly do not need any more major projects (and cannot afford to pay hardly anything?). But that? If I lived long enough I would love it!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

“It would be a crime to scrap such a rare body” “ It frankly just isn’t worth  much, in spite of its rarity and potential.”

5 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

This is completely out of my wheelhouse but appears that it ought to be saved. I’m 2100 miles away so totally out of the question for me. Pretty neat piece of history! Do any other Willoughby’s exist?

There are a number ( although not a lot) of Franklin cars in the 1925-27 era that have boat tail coupe bodies by Willoughby existing, the same body manufacturer was popular on Lincoln chassis in the early to mid 1930s, and Packard in the mid to late 1920s.  The last time I was near Utica, NY where Willoughby had its factory the building they were in - well part of it - remains. A decent archive of the companies photos, history, and albums that were Francis Willoughby's personal property exist in my library/archives and will be the subject of a story hopefully before the end of this year. The material I have I bought 35+ years ago at an antique show south of Utica, NY where Willoughby was located. Willoughby also built commercial bodies ( bus , ambulance) in the WWI era .

• Like 3

They only produced coachwork, chassis was supplied by the car manufacturer which came with a hood, usually a firewall, headlamps etc. They supplied Studebaker sedan bodies in the teens for a dealer in New England.

• Like 1