A/C compressor inspection stamp

I want to replace the missing A/C compressor inspection stamp on my '65 and I was wondering if anyone has made the correct stamp and would be willing to loan it to me. Looks like you can get these on ebay but I hate to spend almost $30 for something I will probably only use once. I would gladly pay postage both ways if someone could provide a "loaner". Also, if you have done this stamping did you use a specific type of paint or ink in order to get decent results? Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike,

I have a genuine Buick stamp you can borrow. Not sure on best ink/paint. Classic auto air re-stamped mine when rebuilt. I'd think paint would do. You'll need to experiment on another black surface to get right color and amount

PM me your address

• Like 1

Can I get in line?  Not long after I got my 63, I had the compressor replaced, not rebuilt.  It was the original and had the stamps.  Its always bothered me that I let that get away.  

Be nice to correct a screw up from like 20 years ago.  

You will need to use yellow paint.....I used yellow paint in an aerosol can....sprayed a wet coat on a piece of sheet metal then stuck the stamp in the paint while it was still wet and stamped the compressor with it. The correct location on a 65 is on the passenger side top and side of the compressor between the

black and silver Frigidaire decal and the black and orange CAUTION decal below it. The correct positioning of the stamp would be so that you can read it straight up and down when looking at it while standing in front of the side of the passenger fender.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

You'll need a steady hand and some patience to apply it correctly because of the compressor's curvature. Practice first on a soda bottle or coffee can.  Keep some rubbing alcohol or mineral spirits handy in case you don't like how the first few applications appear.  Not too much mineral spirits else you'll remove the compressor's black paint.  Testor's model yellow paint works as an alternate to aerosol if you brush it on a flat surface and then dab the stamp on it.  Stamp your test surface 1-2 times to remove excess paint.