1937 MODEL 41 NEED TO SEPARATE REAR QUARTER VENT WINDOW FROM OUTSIDE FRAME AND ALSO DOME LAMP LENS AND FRAME

Bill3747

LOOKING FOR THE BEST WAY TO SEPARATE THE REAR QUARTER VENT WINDOW FROM THE OUTSIDE WINDOW FRAME.  SEEMS LIKE THE LOWER SHAFT WOULD BE THE PLACE TO START BECAUSE IT WOULD EITHER HAVE TO COME OUT OF THE VENT WINDOW OR THE END CAP AND SPRING WOULD HAVE TO BE REMOVED SO THE SHAFT COULD PASS THROUGH THE OUTSIDE FRAME.  ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS IS APPRECIATED BEFORE I START FORCING THINGS.  ALSO LOOKONG FOR METHOD OF SEPARATING DOME LIGHT LENS AND FRAME.

You have to remove the screws that hold the window garnish moulding in. After the garnish moulding is removed, you should be able to find the screws around the perimeter of the vent window frame. After you remove those small screws, the entire vent window assembly can be forced inward. After the top of the assembly clears the window frame, you can lift the entire assembly upwards to remove it from the car. 

The dome light lens is held in by friction fit. A small prying tool can be used to pop the lens off of the light assembly. The rest of the dome light assembly is held in the ceiling  by three or four screws that you will see when the lens has been removed.  

• Like 2

Thanks for your reply Matt, but I see I could have been clearer with my question.  I already have the quarter vent window units removed from the car.  What I want to do is separate the actual vent window with its frame from the outer frame unit so I can have them re-chromed.  The shaft on the bottom of the unit has a round disc that holds a spring.  I'm assuming that this spring and disc have to be removed so that the shaft can pass through the hole in the outer frame because I believe the shaft is permanently attached to the actual vent window.  To re-assemble I'm thinking I could drill and tap the end of the shaft to install the spring and disc with a screw.  Just didn't know if I was missing something and trying not to mess things up.  

Also with the dome light I want to remove the plastic lens from the frame to have the frame re-chromed.  The lip inside the frame wraps over the edge of the lens an holds them tightly together.  Can't quite figure it out and I'm surprised I haven't broken the lens already.

IMG_3962.JPG

IMG_3965.JPG

IMG_3969.JPG

Here's my 1937 Front window vent restoration:

Just click the arrow in the upper right corner.

(Page 44 of the restoration)

Thanks Gary.  I followed your restoration and was totally impressed with your work.  Your work on your vent windows is a great help for me.  The one difference with the rear quarter vents is how the actual vent window is joined to the outer frame.  I think as I mentioned I'll just file off the metal that holds the disc and spring and separate them that way.

As for the dome light. I noticed that you had the lens removed to have the frame chromed.  It seems to me that you would have to cut slots in the metal lip and pry it back  to remove the plastic lens.

Bill

I have seen a few sets of these rear vent window frames. None of the others I have seen have those discs and springs on the bottom. I think you can safely remove them and not worry about them. The two bolts compress the bracket to hold the shaft in place. If you don't have the brackets that hold the shaft in place, I think I may have an extra set.