keiser31

Saw this VW a couple of minutes ago....

Parked across the street from my home just now....

IMG_7974 (2).JPG

IMG_7975 (2).JPG

IMG_7976 (2).JPG

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Nice! Seems like I've seen a lot more vintage cars driving around recently with the combination of nice weather and shutdowns.

Edited by AL1630 (see edit history)

Question is: what model is it? A 111 or a 113?

Here is one for you. What year and what model model is it?

img_0133_edited_1.jpg

Timely coincidence on the Super Beetle picture.  The new neighbors across the street had their parents visiting, and the Dad walked over to visit with my '38 Buick and introduce himself.  In the course of our conversation he mentioned that he was a VW guy, and currently had a '72.  He was into keeping it totally stock, but made one modification, and that was to lower the front end - only slightly.  He mentioned that the MacPherson strut Beetles always sat a little high in the front - I now see what he meant by this picture.  He also mentioned that the MacPherson strut cars are second class citizens in the world of VW enthusiasts, who prefer the torsion bar Beetles.  Interesting stuff.  As for me - I like them all!

4 hours ago, JeffH said:

Timely coincidence on the Super Beetle picture.  The new neighbors across the street had their parents visiting, and the Dad walked over to visit with my '38 Buick and introduce himself.  In the course of our conversation he mentioned that he was a VW guy, and currently had a '72.  He was into keeping it totally stock, but made one modification, and that was to lower the front end - only slightly.  He mentioned that the MacPherson strut Beetles always sat a little high in the front - I now see what he meant by this picture.  He also mentioned that the MacPherson strut cars are second class citizens in the world of VW enthusiasts, who prefer the torsion bar Beetles.  Interesting stuff.  As for me - I like them all!

What makes you sure it's a Super Beetle? From the angle of the taken picture you can't really see the elongated front fender/hood/apron. And Super Beetles and older 113 models have anodized aluminum brightwork around ALL windows because they are deluxe models. see below;

71super.jpgBelow is a Standard model or 111---see no brightwork around windows 

72standard.jpg

Pfeil

It's prior to 1967.  In 67 VW came out with new style headlights with no glass covers, as shown in your photo.

Super Beetle front ends rounded under the car (and had fake vents). My 74 also had front struts instead of the front beam axle. This meant you couldn't make a dune buggy out of it. The standard seemed a much more flexible platform for doing any modifications. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Vila said:

Pfeil

It's prior to 1967.  In 67 VW came out with new style headlights with no glass covers, as shown in your photo.

A hint, In the year of this Beetle VW made FIVE Beetle sedan models in left hand drive and FIVE in right hand drives. 

img_0131_edited_1.jpg

So what Year? Model?

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

May be a bad assumption on my initial ID of the '72.  I thought that Super Beetles had MacPherson struts, initially with a more rounded hood, later with the curved windshield as well.  That is about the extent of my knowledge! 

I would love to see a breakdown of models in this transition time-frame... U.S only would simplify it???  Looks like there is more to it than I ever knew. 

Jeff

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JeffH said:

I thought that Super Beetles had MacPherson struts, initially with a more rounded hood, later with the curved windshield as well.

Super Beetles had McPherson struts.  Starting in 1973, Super Beetles (La Grande Bug in 1975) and convertibles received the curved windshield in the US & Canada.

Craig

The other way to tell a Super Beetle is that the spare tire sits flat on the floor of the front compartment. I had a ‘74 Super SunBug.  It was a great car. I’ve also had numerous other beetles ranging from a 1965 to a 2007 New Beetle (current). Never had a bad one.

TO BE MORE SPECIFICpage1.jpgpage2.jpgpage6.jpg

But they still also make the standard beetle/ old indestructible along with the Super beetle in fact in Europe it will outlive the super beetle ;

71brochure1.jpg

Posted (edited)

Pfeil

Now that you showed a photo of the rear of that Green-ish Blue VW, it is either a 1964, 65, or 66.  Also, it is not a Super Beetle, since they did not start making them for a few more years.

64 - 66 are the only years that had both the glass covers over the headlights and that style tail lights.

1967 VW had the same tail lights as your photo, but the new style headlights.

1963 and earlier VWs had the same headlights as your photo, but an older style more round taillight with a smaller glass lens

I had a 36 hp 1960 VW when I was in college and bought a new 1972 Super Beetle when I was in the US Air Force.  My 1972 Super Beetle had McPherson struts

Edited by Vila (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Vila said:

Pfeil

Now that you showed a photo of the rear of that Green-ish Blue VW, it is either a 1964, 65, or 66.  Also, it is not a Super Beetle, since they did not start making them for a few more years.

64 - 66 are the only years that had both the glass covers over the headlights and that style tail lights.

1967 VW had the same tail lights as your photo, but the new style headlights.

1963 and earlier VWs had the same headlights as your photo, but an older style more round taillight with a smaller glass lens

I had a 36 hp 1960 VW when I was in college and bought a new 1972 Super Beetle when I was in the US Air Force.  My 1972 Super Beetle had McPherson struts

img_0138_edited_1.jpg

First the answers to your comments;

1.     64 - 66 are the only years that had both the glass covers over the headlights and that style tail lights.

Answer NO, while the glass covers might be different from year to year or Euro to U.S. spec the headlamp itself and the bucket in the fender is the same from 1938-1967. The exception is for the U.S. as they get the seal beam in 67 but Europe uses the old type, also Europe is still using 6Volt cars in some models through the 68 model year. Engines are different, for example the white car above is a friends 1967 Euro spec. which has the 6 volt system and the old style headlamps and even though it's a 67 it has a 1300 ( the 1300 was only used in the U.S. for 1966 ) and also a Euro standard model for 1967-1978 would still be a 1200 40HP.

As far as the tail lamps go that particular tail lamp is used from 1962-1967.

2. 1967 VW had the same tail lights as your photo, but the new style headlights.

Answer; NO, not quite European 1200A custom models and 1200A standard models as said before used 6 volt system and the old style fenders and headlamps, also the rear turn signal lamps lens for the U.S. and Canada are all red lenses while in Europe the turn signal lens in the rear is amber above and red brake below.. seein mu other pictures

3.1963 and earlier VWs had the same headlights as your photo, but an older style more round taillight with a smaller glass lens.

Answer; NO as said earlier that style tail lamp was used from 1962-1967. 1961 uses a smaller lens.

The above blue car is a Type 111 1200A Custom, just a one step above a standard Type 111 1200A. It's powered by the last 36hp engine in production and it uses the fresh air heat exchangers for the heater. Both the 1200 Custom and the standard used this engine to the end of the 65 model year. It's architecture goes back to 1938 and designed by Franz Reimspiess.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've owned this VW for 52 years. 

Notice the difference in architecture between a 1965 deluxe model Type 113 40 hp and my engine above. Pay particular attention to the location of the fuel pump and the generator stand on the newer engine is a separate bolt on where as mine is a cast into the rt side of the engine case.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GREAT DISCUSSION!  Thank you for the education.

To share the extent of my ignorance, I had no idea they made Standard and Super Beetles at the same time.  Also, although I knew (of course) about general engine displacement increases, headlight and tail light changes, etc. - I only knew about this stuff in general terms.  What can I say, my only Volkswagen was a 1966 Type 3 Squareback.  (it was my first car, well-used by the time I got it - but I loved it!)

Can you elaborate a little further on the specific years for the Standard vs. Super Beetles, and their models / features?  (U.S. only might simplify this)

Thanks!

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JeffH said:

GREAT DISCUSSION!  Thank you for the education.

To share the extent of my ignorance, I had no idea they made Standard and Super Beetles at the same time.  Also, although I knew (of course) about general engine displacement increases, headlight and tail light changes, etc. - I only knew about this stuff in general terms.  What can I say, my only Volkswagen was a 1966 Type 3 Squareback.  (it was my first car, well-used by the time I got it - but I loved it!)

Can you elaborate a little further on the specific years for the Standard vs. Super Beetles, and their models / features?  (U.S. only might simplify this)

Thanks!

U.S. Super Beetle and Standard Beetle are built along side from 1971-1975. 1975 is last year for Super beetle in states except for the convertible which goes to 1979. 1977 is the last standard beetle sold in the U.S. In January 1978 the very last beetle sedan is made in Germany and ironically it is a standard model with a 1200 40HP and a swing axle transaxle and was built in the Emden factory - it's in VW's museum. a picture below;

1978 Last Edition - SEBeetles.com

You could buy a beetle after 1978 in Germany, but it would come from Mexico until the end of Mexico's production which would be the last beetle ever. See Below;

Last Beetle (ever) built in Mexico on this day in 2003 - Aircooled ...2003 last built/last sold 2004

Soo sad,  Ich Leibe meine Volkswagen!

BTW the guy below actually married that car.

Car

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Pfiel:  Why did you ask if you already new all the answers?

Edited by Vila (see edit history)

18 minutes ago, Vila said:

Why did you ask if you already new what the VW was?

Are you asking me?