1982 Sinatra Imperial EFI Driving after 23 years!

Frank Sinatra had one in his personal collection.

Sinatra liked his friends to be movers and shakers, and by the late ’70s he’d become close friends with Chrysler chief Lee Iacocca. As Iacocca moved to transform Chrysler into a profitable maker of affordable front-wheel drive vehicles, he also sought to revive the Imperial nameplate for a flagship personal luxury coupe to take on Cadillac Eldorado and Lincoln Continental Mark VI. Enlisting Sinatra’s star power to help sell the cars, Chrysler launched the Imperial “FS Edition,” with paint and interior to match Sinatra’s eyes, plus a special box under the dashboard that held 10 Sinatra cassettes. Unfortunately, reliability issues meant the $20,988 car was a huge flop for the brand, and it sold just 12,385 Imperials between 1981 and ’83 – with just 278 of them being FS Editions.

On 5/25/2020 at 6:12 PM, 61polara said:

You've been around here for a long time.  Always enjoy your posts; they remanded me of what I was doing at your age.  Love those Imperials 

yes I’ve been around a very very long time! 

47 minutes ago, Ed Luddy said:

Okay, how much $$cash$$  for the F/S? I have a guy trying to sell me a green on green leather  82 Imperial, but I'm holding out for a "Blue Eyed Special"!

For mine or in general ?

1 hour ago, MarkV said:

For mine or in general ?

Yours preferably, but I'm in Ontario Canada with currently closed border. It will re open this summer. No F/S models local for sale, so I'm open to bringing one over the bridge when able. If you do wish to sell you can PM me. I've sold cars to the USA and bought and brought back to Canada. The hardest part is the nasty exchange rate now!

10 minutes ago, Ed Luddy said:

Yours preferably, but I'm in Ontario Canada with currently closed border. It will re open this summer. No F/S models local for sale, so I'm open to bringing one over the bridge when able. If you do wish to sell you can PM me. I've sold cars to the USA and bought and brought back to Canada. The hardest part is the nasty exchange rate now!

mine is not for sale, I have three of these 81 to 83 imperials and just picked up another efi 82 that has been parked since 1993!  

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Ok, I've found a very nice FS edition for sale, bought it. But it's an 8 hour drive from home for me and I want to drive it back. The original EFI is gone replaced with carb and regular fuel pump 20 years ago. Owner is very knowledgable on these and has all the bugs (hopefully) worked out. Is there any other weak points I should be concerned with?

Congratulations to both of you. IMHO in the world of Personal Luxury cars, their is no more exciting place to be then the three years of early 80's Imperial. The relative rarity, the story of this mostly forgotten model, gives today's owner a special opportunity reeducate  the car world. Several years ago I got real close owning one, but it just didn't happen. Enjoy your ride!

Bill

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

Congratulations to both of you. IMHO in the world of Personal Luxury cars, their is no more exciting place to be then the three years of early 80's Imperial. The relative rarity, the story of this mostly forgotten model, gives today's owner a special opportunity reeducate  the car world. Several years ago I got real close owning one, but it just didn't happen. Enjoy your ride!

Bill

Thanks Bill!

Good to see an 80's car being resurrected.

The ECMs on those can be a nightmare to get straight.

Back in the late 80's I knew someone that had an Imperial like yours, not a FS edition, and it was a great riding car.

I was able to drive this one for close to 4 hours to get it to my brothers. Drives very nice and smooth. Able to get it at sustained highway speeds for most of the journey despite a lot of "No way will that make it home" comments. 318 2 bbl carb, 727 transmission with lock up converter and fresh oil change, why not? Electrical glitch due to a green wire was the only problem, back on the road in 10 minutes.

morcars 134.jpg

• Like 2
On 11/12/2020 at 7:55 PM, Jim Skelly said:

For such a famous celebrity, it is a rather modest gravesite.

Not only that, according to Greg, the great Frank Sinatra is buried in CA. I guess I'm surprised he wasn't buried in Hoboken.