David Coco stated that very well- it is the friendships and the handshakes that we will miss the most. I have been to everyone since 1965, and now it is an annual "reunion" to spend time with friends from Germany and England as well. I feel bad for all the businesses as well, it was most likely one of their biggest weeks before the holiday season sets in. Thanks to AACA and especially to the Hershey region and its members.

WG

• Like 1

Just to pile on.......my one ray of hope for this year, Hilton Head, was also cancelled yesterday. Now I shall go drinking and get depressed. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Just to pile on.......my one ray of hope for this year, Hilton Head, was also cancelled yesterday. Now I shall go drinking and get depressed. 

yeah. 

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Remember though, listen to all the celebrities and just stay home and be happy.  If I hear that one more time or reference to follow the experts guidelines which change completely almost every day I'm going to go on a Rampage.  

I was so looking forward to show season for swap meets this year to find a better trunk and maybe even pair of pilots rays to replace the cyclops one on Victoria,  not to mention a few trinkets for the Dodge. 

You know all the stuff you run across at shows but never bought before because you didn't have a car they fit. 

4 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Please take note of the blue section in the above post, the fall meet has not been completely canceled.  At the present time the flea market and car corral are in fact canceled but all parties are working as hard as humanly possible to get the show approved on Saturday.  We have a plan.  We, AACA, the Hershey Region and HE&R are all 100% in agreement to do this...we just need cooperation from our state government and we WILL have a show!

Carlisle Events are still advertising multiple events taking place beginning in mid-June with Spring Carlisle. Does anyone know how they are able to function with the state government or have they just not announced cancellations?

I got the notice about the survey -- but NEVER got the Survey...

I have 9 spots --- chock full of NEW & N.O.S. parts for cars from the 1930s through the 1970s.

I depend on my Hershey sales -- that go *** Worldwide *** to carry me financially through the winter.

Our lives have been affected enough during the 77 days of this coronavirus pandemic... 

I have spoken to 25 fellow vendors since 6:06 P.M. -- and we are all in the same boat... It would be a major problem in our lives.

If there is anyway to reconsider... Please do so... It is still five months away....

Why don't we see how Spring Carlisle (two weeks away) &

Englishtown, New Jersey (three weeks away).    Both twice postponed

Function....

I will be happy to report back.......   Yours, Craig....

One other thing to consider ----

Hershey stand to lose a BILLION dollars by us not being there????

I know I buy about $ 60 of chocolate there Friday night --- I KNOW I am

Not Alone.......

Do they get a say ???????

Notice that they say no carnivals, no fairs, no concerts, no this, no that where thousands of people are all right on top of each other........

At Carlisle , even if 50,000 people come through the gates -- it is spread over 4 days and 12 hours a day -- and spread over 95 acres....

Other than the food court, which I am Positive they will have well regulated and socially distanced,

There are no big gatherings at any time throughout the grounds...

ENOUGH Already --- LET US LIVE -- We will practice safety...... We are not young stupid kids at the beach.......

And HERSHEY is even more socially distanced than Carlisle --- It is

Spread over many many miles......

On 5/27/2020 at 5:17 PM, 3macboys said:

Just to add to Matt's point, everything that we really know about this virus has been learned in the last 10-12 weeks.  The supposed information from prior to that period I would charitably call unreliable from the source.  There's a lot of subject area experts here and I'm pretty sure that it took a lot longer than 10-12 weeks or even years to gain the knowledge that you have.  Like the vast majority I'm hopeful that this will be short term pain and that this will soon pass us by, however, in the meantime I'm content to follow the rules from the London tube and Mind the Gap.  

image.jpeg.3ffed57e79df477af392484aedc3316a.jpeg

And just like the experts we hear from in the mass media, lot of the "area experts" here and the knowledge espoused is actually well meaning opinion, hearsay, wives tales, etc etc, masquerading as fact and may or may not be right, wrong, or indifferent.....Bob

Wow, guys...just because other events are still advertised as they are going to happen does not mean they will.  The Governor and State Police will have a say.  You folks that do not live in PA do not realize that our Governor is wielding his power in an absolute manner and has threatened our counties and businesses with a loss of licenses and prosecution if they disobey the directives.  Local race track that opened last Monday has already been warned that the police will enforce the rules and stop them if they try to run this week. Google Gov Wolf updates and you will realize what YOU think is simple is not.

We will not lose billions over the flea market and corral closing but it will hurt many, many people.  Does Hershey have a say?  NO, HE&R and the Hershey Region do not tell our Governor what to do.  In fact to my knowledge the only thing anyone has received from his office is a form letter.  

It is frustrating to read posts where people think this decision was made lightly, that it was not done in consultation with many stakeholders and that it was the region took the easy way out!!  THEY DID NOT!  Their work for the entire year has mostly gone up in smoke, they will lose money and they will lose the opportunity to put on an event that they are immensely dedicated to for everyone else.  THEY give up the enjoyment of the event and WORK it for you.  Trust me, Hershey was my favorite event of the year and I walked the flea market day after day in years past, but now for 19 years the staff and I have worked long days for the national club, I understand the sacrifice the region folks do as our office does as well.

No one is asking you to like or be happy about the decision.  None of us are as well.  Your losses are compounded by us!!  Please ease up...nothing else could have been done.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

Posted (edited)

Gentlemen, let's not give Steve an ulcer. Just let it go...........you can't change what you can't change. Steve.......I'm buying drinks when I'm in town next time.......and lunch at the Hershey Hotel. Thanks for all you do........24/7/365. 👍

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Does Hershey have a say?  NO, HE&R and the Hershey Region do not tell our Governor what to do.

Even though people may be disappointed, I'm sure that

not a single person is blaming AACA, its staff, or its Hershey Region.

They are victims too.  Any comments seen are just frustration

over the whole year's occurrence that people may be expressing.

A simple reminder for everyone:  The government works for US.

We don't work for them.  Is this foundational principle a mere theory

or unapproachable ideal?

• Like 2

I am as unhappy as any of you about losing Hershey--I do a lot of business there, too. I had the same knee-jerk reaction last night and wanted to be angry at someone. Nevertheless, let's keep things in perspective, eh? 105,000 dead Americans, with 2500 more every week (that's one 9/11 every single week for the past three months). Ten times that many people will be permanently affected by just this one illness, never mind all the others that continue to collect victims out of the spotlight. Families hurt, jobs lost, and all kinds of other worse things are happening in the world.

Cancelled car shows and having to wear a mask are not even remotely close to the end of the world, it's not the beginning of tyranny, and you can ask elderly Japanese Americans about what an overreaching American government really looks like. If how we're dealing with this situation really upsets you enough to boil your blood, then you should check yourself and really think carefully about just how easy, safe, comfortable, and enjoyable your life really is. We are the lucky ones. Never forget that.

I am healthy, my family is healthy, we have a home, I have a job, and we can still find ways to enjoy ourselves, all things considered. My kids aren't going to sleep scared that they will starve. I suspect all of you are pretty much in the same boat with me. If you have toy cars and the resources to be on the internet discussing them, then your life is already better than 90% of all the people on the entire planet.

Please, let's keep all that in mind before grabbing the torches and pitchforks. Count your blessings, as the phrase goes.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

19 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

I am as unhappy as any of you about losing Hershey--I do a lot of business there, too. I had the same knee-jerk reaction last night and wanted to be angry at someone. Nevertheless, let's keep things in perspective, eh? 105,000 dead Americans, with 2500 more every week (that's one 9/11 every single week for the past three months). Ten times that many people will be permanently affected by just this one illness, never mind all the others that continue to collect victims out of the spotlight. Families hurt, jobs lost, and all kinds of other worse things are happening in the world.

Cancelled car shows and having to wear a mask are not even remotely close to the end of the world, it's not the beginning of tyranny, and you can ask elderly Japanese Americans about what an overreaching American government really looks like. If how we're dealing with this situation really upsets you enough to boil your blood, then you should check yourself and really think carefully about just how easy, safe, comfortable, and enjoyable your life really is. We are the lucky ones. Never forget that.

I am healthy, my family is healthy, we have a home, I have a job, and we can still find ways to enjoy ourselves, all things considered. My kids aren't going to sleep scared that they will starve. I suspect all of you are pretty much in the same boat with me. If you have toy cars and the resources to be on the internet discussing them, then your life is already better than 90% of all the people on the entire planet.

Please, let's keep all that in mind before grabbing the torches and pitchforks. Count your blessings, as the phrase goes.

Well said, Matt.  

As to the Japanese, my brother was in the Navy, in 1965 was in Japan.  The Japanese taxi cabs would not stop nor give a ride to an American serviceman....

We’ll get through this, I think that someone mentioned a virtual Hershey on the Forum....spread out your goodies, take a picture, sell!

• Like 1

As I posted early one-somewhere here on the forums, I fully intend to put up an awning in the back yard, set up some tables, put some stuff out and sit back with a single malt Scotch and take photos.  It'll be a virtual Hershey.  I've already got a few friends who want to join in ( 6 feet apart, or whatever is necessary at the time).

For those who wonder why the decision couldn't wait until the "last minute" if you think logically about the lead-time needed to plan and run this event, it needs to run like clockwork along a very strict time-line.  Contracts need to be signed, support services engaged, even printing the program and ordering all the merchandise cannot be done at the last minute.  The Hershey Region and AACA have given us this amazing show for a long time, and there is no time like the present to let them know how much we appreciate their hard work and fully respect their decision. 

See you on-lne in October - and don't forget to bring old spark plugs next year!!!

Terry

• Like 4

Set up tables and an awning in the yard, put out some parts for sale, post photos and sit back with an adult beverage and have a virtual Hershey? Hmmmm.........count me in!! 😁 Terry you start the thread and those of us who want to post pics of stuff for sale will jump in. It's not Hershey but hey, it could be fun!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

...it's not the beginning of tyranny...

No, but it's the latest chapter.

That's not a political statement, because people on both sides

of any issue do not like tyranny;  and right and wrong have been

on both sides.  This certainly affects our car activities, as we

clearly see.  There's much more to be corrected than at first may

meet the eye, and no one should be cowed, quailed, or oblivious.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Steve, 

What do you see as the biggest issue standing in the way of having the car show on Saturday of Hershey week this year? If it is the unwillingness of the governor of Pennsylvania to allow groups of more that 250 (?) people to meet for an event than it would be good to know that. I would think that with the extra space to spread the show out over several fields that maintaining physical distancing could be easily accomplished. 

Anyway, please let us know what your thoughts on this are.

Best regards,

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird Colonial White

While I agree with the decision to cancel it does bring back bad memories. I knew Dad was dying when he told me late in September '86 that he couldn't make Hershey that year. By the end of October he was gone.

Yes, the single largest impediment is what our state government will allow.  It is the one question we need answered for the Grand National and Hershey.  You know what we know as of this date but we are TRYING our best to find a way to let our members and the public enjoy our great hobby.

Posted (edited)

Too bad it wasn't scheduled for Florida and be happy it isn't in Massachusetts.     As I drove around today I pondered why the Bowling Alley,  Ice rink,  salons, restaurants, retail stores were closed,  but the alcohol stores, pot shops,  mini marts and Home Depot were packed and doing booming business.    

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Here in Florida, I am told the strip joints have the girls wearing only masks.............while it’s been twenty years since I have entered one, last time I was there a few of the girls could have used them back then also.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

23 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Too bad it wasn't schedule for Florida and be happy it isn't in Massachusetts.     As I drove around today I pondered why the Bowling Alley,  Ice rink,  salons, restaurants, retail stores were closed,  but the alcohol stores, pot shops,  mini marts and Home Depot were packed and doing booming business.    

I suspect part of the reason it seems Florida is all smiles is that Florida appears to be cooking the books and under-reporting the number of Covid-19 deaths. They appear to be calling a majority of them pneumonia instead. Official statements claim the number of Covid-19 cases are "holding steady" but pneumonia deaths in Florida are up something like 450% for the same period compared to previous years. Check it out (all these numbers are from the CDC):

Pneumonia deaths in Florida February-May:

2015: 919

2016: 958

2017: 944

2018: 935

2020: 4259

Interestingly enough, Georgia and Texas are showing similar massive jumps in pneumonia deaths, despite their governors' claims that all is well.

Texas:

2015: 1067

2016: 1027

2017: 903

2018: 973

2020: 4217

Georgia:

2015: 504

2016: 499

2017: 487

2018: 474

2020: 1368

The really curious thing is that these states have not yet finished compiling and submitting pneumonia statistics for 2019, which is why they don't list numbers for 2019 (they are expected to be consistent with previous years). Surprisingly (or not), they have already released the 2020 numbers, which are up to date as of May 28.

Odd, that...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

To some extent every one is cooking the books as they seek to advance their own agenda and narrative. Remember: Figures don't lie but liars can figure. Believe every thing you read at your own peril...Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Matt,  what is interesting is we both seem to be outwardly intelligent guys,  yet we see things exactly opposite.