Hershey, Fall 2020 ...?

flackmaster

I have received and responded to the survey and commentary regarding planning for Hershey 2020.  Yes I am, as we all are, aware of the Covid-19 pandemic, however, I honestly believe that by October we will all have adapted to proper social precautions, and the overall health of our nation will be recovering.   I respect the necessary precautions currently in place - but cancelling Hershey?  Perish the thought....

• Like 4

I can agree with flackmaster, all of us have missed the one thing that keeps us all going and able to put up with or cope everyday life's challenges : seeing old cars, old parts, automobilia, and everything related to them. Personally due to health issues Hershey was the only car event I was able to attend in 2018, 2019 and I hoped to this year. That one 'dose' a year makes all the difference. Even if social distancing is still with us for the next 4 months and into October it is the one time of the year you get to see people in person from all over the world and especially North America.  Let's all hope and pray that there will be an acceptable and safe level so that "the Greatest Show on Earth" can still take place.  To quote the late great comedian Red Skelton " God Bless".

Walt

Edited by Walt G
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

It would be a big hole on my calendar if we missed it.  The social aspect is as important as anything too.  There are people we see only at Hershey every year, and to miss that opportunity to visit with friends from all over the world would be sad.  However, even if things do return to some sort of normalcy, there will be a lot of hesitation on the part of those traveling from a long ways off.  I can understand the Hershey Region's dilemma with this and support 100% whatever decision they must reach.  I know they have a lot vested in this but also need to be concerned about their own members and volunteers.

Best wishes to all, fingers crossed that we'll be there once again smelling grease, rust, and chocolate!

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 4

One final thought, that with the time until October, surely Hershey would be a success even with lower attendance.  In fact, with lower attendance, this may relieve some of the social distancing issues.  Some, not all, but enough that some needed optimism into the future/planning would add to the excitement for those that plan to attend.   

• Thanks 2

When this started, I looked at people wearing a mask in public and thought they looked like a bank robber. Now I look at people in public who are not wearing a mask and think they look out of place. We are adults and we can follow reasonable guidelines. If the State of PA moves Dauphin County in the “green phase” sometime before Hershey, I think we can use what we’ve learned and enjoy the Fall Meet responsibly. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, greenie said:

When this started, I looked at people wearing a mask in public and thought they looked like a bank robber. Now I look at people in public who are not wearing a mask and think they look out of place. We are adults and we can follow reasonable guidelines. If the State of PA moves Dauphin County in the “green phase” sometime before Hershey, I think we can use what we’ve learned and enjoy the Fall Meet responsibly. 

We were driving home from the shop Friday night and stopped for ice cream on the way home. I realized we left our masks at the shop since we were just heading home. Standing in line--well spaced--I realized I felt conspicuous without it. I suppose that's a good thing and I won't make that mistake again.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

What survey?

If it's on a computer and you can post a link to it,

that might help other members who aren't aware of it.

The survey was only sent to vendors.

• Thanks 1

Whatever decision Hershey region makes I support them 100%.

I have read Pennsylvania's Covid-19 Color coded phases a number of times. One thing that sticks out to me is that I cannot find anywhere where it says that in the "Green" phase large gatherings of people (like Fall Hershey with 200,000 to 250,000 people or sporting events, etc) are permitted. Maybe I missed something.

I agree that reasonable adults can follow reasonable guidelines the question is just how many will do that? Personally, I think one good indicator regarding Fall Hershey will be when/if Hershey Park opens and how HERCO handles that. Also, when and how events start up again at the Giant Center in Hershey.

Case in point, many New Jersey shore towns reopened this weekend with guidelines in place and many have webcams. My family and I rent a home each summer in one of these towns which is VERY well known and sees 100s of 1000s of visitors per week (along the lines of Fall Hershey). Out of curiosity I have been viewing the web cams all along that city's boardwalk both at night and during the day this weekend. Let's just say that a majority of adults and nearly 100% of teenagers are not following the guidelines regarding distancing, masks, etc. One weekend does not a summer make but this weekend is not a good omen for this summer when it comes to Covid-19 at this particular NJ shore town. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, charlier said:

Whatever decision Hershey region makes I support them 100%.

I have read Pennsylvania's Covid-19 Color coded phases a number of times. One thing that sticks out to me is that I cannot find anywhere where it says that in the "Green" phase large gatherings of people (like Fall Hershey with 200,000 to 250,000 people or sporting events, etc) are permitted. Maybe I missed something.

I agree that reasonable adults can follow reasonable guidelines the question is just how many will do that?

Very well said, and I agree with your statement 100%. I have seven spaces and I am pretty sure that I will not be attending this year because of Covid 19 situation mostly due to my fellow man's ignorance to be respectful of other peoples concerns. Even though I wintered in Florida I know of three people personally who passed away (all under 60 years old) in the NYC metro area and about 20 more who had it and had a tough time fighting it off.

Everyone acts like Rambo until they need to be put on a ventilator I have just seen too many 70+ year old self proclaimed "tough guys" lately 

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Dale,

Whats the three questions me and brother share 10 spaces but he controls the purchase every year of the 10, so I have not seen it,  also I have 8 or 9 regular Foriegn customers out of 20 of them that stop by every year at my 5 spots and those 8 are emailing me they won't be coming do to there crashed Investment markets, flight restrictions, and there particular situations. All from Netherlands,  Spain, Italy, Germany, Australia  Also I am concerned about the 1000 or more volunteers that do so much are they willing to be around so many?   but all in all I agree with Bob Giles  Prepare for the worst hope for the best 🙏

• Like 1

I remember Hershey after 911 a ghosttown compaired to 2000 and I believe this year Hershey will take a hit. I've been vending since 1986 and will probably skip this year.  I had 8 spaces but down to 4 spaces.  I hope we do have an option to apply funds toward next year.  Like most vendors  I'm not a youngster.  70 years old with a condition.  Travel, Hotel Room,  Crowded Restrooms, Food courts, bridge between fields and looking over my shoulder.  It's a gamble. Who knows it might getter better by September or maybe the same as now? I'm  sure the Governor will have the final say.

• Thanks 1

My 95 year old man was in a panic to get his money in for his space.    We will be there.

And 2001 was the year Richie Clyne and Don Williams had a real no reserve auction at the Lodge.    I wish I bought 10 of those cars,  they were practically giving them away.

I understand why people over 60, and ones with additional health issues would want to use caution this year. 

Question...........since I have been attending since I was five in 1971............

Is one  really living if one is a prisoner in his own home? Calculated risk is reasonable, and perfectly fine and acceptable if one understands the true risks.........and not the hype. Only each individual person can make a determination. If at all possible, I will attend. How many more Hershey’s do I have? I would like to think another twenty five, and maybe more........one never knows....if I can’t enjoy my hobby, I can’t enjoy my life. The Covid 19 could possibly take my life.(0.004 percent chance, it’s more dangerous to drive to the fall meet than to worry about getting sick and dying).....It will NOT take my freedom.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I received an email stating that a survey would be coming -

But have not received it yet.

I have vended at the same Chocolate field spaces CG 32, 33, 34 (near lightpost 58) continuously since 1984

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

I understand why people over 60, and ones with additional health issues would want to use caution this year. 

Ed, that applies to the majority of spectators and vendors

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

.....It will NOT take my freedom.

Please, it is not about anybody's freedom, it is about spreading the virus to someone else 

• Like 3

This year will be interesting. If you travel from an another state you have to quarantine for 14 days... before you can be on site..to sell stuff.. Not sure if this is true in pa? 

Just a few states:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/destinations/2020/05/25/coronavirus-travel-restrictions-us-states-quarantine-requirements/5256975002/

This kind of stuff makes a vacation from a week  vacation to three weeks long..

No one is going to do this.. spending 500 a night to stay in the hotel room for  two weeks for a one week vacation..

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

15 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Hopefully this is not shocking to anyone,  but eventually everybody will have had the virus.    The reason we committed economic suicide was to prevent the hospitals form being overrun.  

100 percent correct............and, five years from now with hindsight, the analysis will probably be that we should have only locked down a handful of counties and maybe an entire state or two. The trick is knowing when to blink.........with real data, which has been very difficult to come across until 90 days after the fact. CDC numbers say 0.004 percent death rate........which means as long as the medical system is working, go about you life. As bad and lousy as this whole thing has been........if the next one is really dangerous with a real 5-7 percent death rate, many people are going to ignore the initial lock down...........the boy who cried wolf now applies for the next 50 years. 

• Like 5

The Hershey Region sent out two surveys.  The first went to vendors who we had emails for, the club developed the list for the region.  If you got the email from us you should have gotten the survey.  The survey may have gone to spam ( I know several people including us who did not get it).  Also, if you have changed your email and not notified us you would not have received one. The second email went to Hershey Region members.  The Region has a very difficult decision to make given a host of concerns that are legitimately not any easy call for them.

Hopefully, in this daily changing environment where new rules, new science and new answers regarding the virus are the norm,  the region will be able to come to a conclusion that will keep "Hershey" in 2020.  If in fact, they feel they cannot or the state does not allow the event then that is something sadly we will have to live with and hope for a great 2021.  

If you did not get a survey please check your spam filter...looked this morning and viola there it was!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

The Hershey Region sent out two surveys.  The first went to vendors who we had emails for, the club developed the list for the region.  If you got the email from us you should have gotten the survey.  The survey may have gone to spam ( I know several people including us who did not get it).  Also, if you have changed your email and not notified us you would not have received one. The second email went to Hershey Region members.  The Region has a very difficult decision to make given a host of concerns that are legitimately not any easy call for them.

Hopefully, in this daily changing environment where new rules, new science and new answers regarding the virus are the norm,  the region will be able to come to a conclusion that will keep "Hershey" in 2020.  If in fact, they feel they cannot or the state does not allow the event then that is something sadly we will have to live with and hope for a great 2021.  

If you did not get a survey please check your spam filter...looked this morning and viola there it was!!

Steve,

I received the first email notice on Saturday. As of Tuesday morning I still have not received the survey, and it is not in my spam folder.

I have been a vendor since 1990

Member #988793

I think we should give it a little more time to settle down. Then have a Spring Hershey around May and the regular Fall Hershey. I’m just trying to be positive.

• Thanks 1

Trouble is no one knows squat..........

"The virus is no worse than a cold. Go about your business. No wait, "millions will die".

Everyone must be locked down. No wait. "Not every one."

"Masks are bad and should not be worn. No wait, "every one MUST wear a mask."

Only N95 masks are good Cloth masks are counter productive and actually bad . No wait " here's plans to sew them at home. You must wear one at all times"

And the latest. "Masks are of little help, Every one needs to wear a clear face shield."

The virus can "live for days on any surface. "don't touch anything" .......Or not.

The hospitals will be over whelmed, "we must send positive test people to elder care facilities".........OOPS!

"You can go to beach but you can't swim"

"You can go to the beach and swim but you can't sit in the sand."

" You can mill about for hours in a grocery store but not for 5 minutes in a State liquor store"

" You can drive to the golf course in one car with 3 of your buddies but only one to a cart to play."

"Every one must stay home but we're opening fishing season early so every one can get out to fish"

And on and on ad nauseum .

I really and truly feel sorry for ANYONE that has to do the advance planning for anything as complicated as the Hershey meet when their decisions must be made based on info from the leaders who clearly don't know their hole from an ass in the ground.

I'm going fishing..................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'm with you Bhigdog.  I have been told all along by every celebrity and news station radio to TV to internet that we have to listen to the experts,  yet I'm almost positive every expert has made atleast a complete about face on something they earlier stated fact and guide line we should follow.  So far my opinions of professionals in many businesses is not very high, before this whole mess personally in many businesses I have dealt with including local level Govt.  Just look at my garage build thread. 

• Like 2

The more I think about this, the more clearly I respect the difficulty in planning to proceed, or a plan to cancel.  Double edge sword where no one will be happy.   The optimist that I am hopes that there is confidence that by October things will have calmed down to the new normal and we can proceed with our lives, Hershey included.

Good Luck.

DAF

• Like 3

Frank Rose jr here , I to received an email on 5-23-20 of a survey to come and that I must reply by 8am on 5-27-20 and here it is 11pm on the 26th and still no survey - I’m thinking that the results of this survey from survey monkey are not going to be very accurate, I’ve been a vendor since 1985 and sure hope that fall Hershey 2020 is a go as long as Covid numbers are down and everyone has the comon sense to social distance 

I have been a vendor at Hershey since the 1960s.  I received the email alert saying I would get the survey but I did not.  It is not in my junk file.  My email address has not changed.  I would like to have a voice by having an opportunity to respond.  I don't get a good feeling about how this is being handled.

Where I am two hospitals shut down because the staff got sick.  In that situation if you get in a car accident, have an appendicitis, or whatever you get to lay there unattended.  I talked to an eye doctor who couldn't take care of someone who got a splinter in their eye chopping wood without safety glasses.  In a situation like that eventually the eyeball comes out or the limbs get infected and have to be sawed off in the garage battlefield style without morphine.  The police department got so overrun with the virus the city had to shut down because there weren't enough police.  Judging from the meat packing plants where the virus sweeps through like the wind the notion of simply letting everything run wild is not a good idea.  That said I am not going anywhere I don't have to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TimCole said:

Where I am two hospitals shut down because the staff got sick.  In that situation if you get in a car accident, have an appendicitis, or whatever you get to lay there unattended.  I talked to an eye doctor who couldn't take care of someone who got a splinter in their eye chopping wood without safety glasses.  In a situation like that eventually the eyeball comes out or the limbs get infected and have to be sawed off in the garage battlefield style without morphine.  The police department got so overrun with the virus the city had to shut down because there weren't enough police.  Judging from the meat packing plants where the virus sweeps through like the wind the notion of simply letting everything run wild is not a good idea.  That said I am not going anywhere I don't have to.

AMEN to that!

I just don't feel comfortable staying in a hotel. As I am writing this we are just a little shy of 100,000 people dying in 12 weeks from this virus 

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

In New York state, just over 86% of reported COVID-19 deaths involved at least one comorbidity, according to the state’s department of health.

https://www.the-hospitalist.org/hospitalist/article/220457/coronavirus-updates/comorbidities-rule-new-yorks-covid-19-deaths

According to cancer.org in 2019, there was an estimated 1,762,450 new cancer cases diagnosed and 606,880 cancer deaths in the United States.   

I saw note the other day (which I can't seem to find) where oncology referrals were down 65 percent in Boston hospitals over the last 2 months.    So either cancer has gone away or people are afraid to go to the doctor.

Since this thing has started I have not worn a mask and don't intend to start. I had to wear one at my doctors office the other day and that was the only time I've worn one. Common sense must prevail. The masks are only good if you have it and don't want to spread it. Not good for keeping you from getting it so they say. Here in Florida, things are beginning to open up and the Virus is not running amuck since they've started to open. I filled out our questionnaire and said I'd plan to attend and with no reservations. Common people this thing will be gone by October. This is only the end of May, we have 4 months to shed this thing and I feel confident that it will be mostly burnt out by then. Will there still be some isolated cases, probably, but think if the Governor of Pennsylvania will loosen things up like the other Governors then it will be a great 2020 Hershey!

• Thanks 1