Ron Green

Transporter nightmare

3 hours ago, keithb7 said:

It is my opinion that the average hard working middle class citizen in USA or Canada is over-taxed. We need to stretch our dollars farther and farther every year as fees, taxes, levies, ect. continue to climb. Insurance rates, groceries, gasoline, minimum wage hourly wagers...These rates climb faster than our earnings do. I have way less money at the end each month than I did 10 years ago.

You're not over-taxed, you're under-paid. 

wages2.jpg?width=960

ceo-pay.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Benefits of AACA Membership.

18 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Just bought an 89 Allante real nice and inexpensive with both tops. Surprising how many Reatta parts fit. Brought it home the same way have been bring home for years, on a tow dolly behind my Jeep with the drive wheels on the dolly. In Florida neither the dolly nor the TOAD need to be licensed or insured. When needful I rent a tandem axle hauler from U-Haul. The rate my Jeep for anything they have. Also have AAA premier.

• Like 1

Anyone even remotely considering buying an enclosed car trailer now or in the near future, DON’T!  There are very few if any available, at least in the south-east US.  However, even though dealers have little or no stock, they are continuing to advertise them on-line, on Ebay, and CraigsList as being in stock.  Only when the buyer makes the deposit are they informed there is no trailer and what they have done is ordered one.  Or their ads state the trailer is a special order, with delivery in 10 days or less…knowing there’s no way they can meet the 10-days being advertised.  Extremely deceptive advertising.  I thought I was smarter than that.  I called the sales manager of a trailer dealer in central GA who I had purchased a trailer from previously.  As a returning customer I thought I’d get an honest deal from them.  My mistake…I trusted her.  When I asked about their 10-day advertised build time, she told me special orders were being given priority over others and their build times were running between 12-15 days.  I believed her and placed an order for an 8.5x16 with several upgrades.  After repeated emails inquiring about the status over the past several weeks, she gave me a song and dance about Covid delays and their sales rep being on maternity leave and yadda, yadda, yadda.  She finally told me last Friday she contacted the manufacturer and was told my order would be marked ‘HOT,’ and be moved in front of others that were in line ahead of me to be built.  It was already over a week overdue and her indication was that they still had not begun construction.  I told her yesterday that I had a deadline to move a 100-year-old car by the end of this week.  She said they have a 7x16 in stock, but it’s extra tall…7’ interior height. and they have an 8.5x20 standard height in stock.  She said I could have either one of those.  I told I didn’t want them as I am pulling with a Cadillac Escalade so don’t want the extra height or length.  I told her I need the trailer by noon on Friday, as I’m meeting a car transporter on the highway Friday afternoon to transfer the car from his trailer to mine. As soon as he unloads mine, he’s loading another, so there’s no room for flexibility.  All these trailer and transport arrangements were made over a month ago, believing I would easily be able to get a trailer by this time.  Her latest email this morning said she has been in touch with all 3 of their manufacturers and she’s sure one of them will come through with either mine being completed or a substitute trailer of yet-to-be-determined size and options.  I told her as a minimum I need tie down anchorages installed.  Meanwhile, I’ve found a 7x16 in stock at another GA trailer dealer, so I could jump on it.  But if I do, there’s a good chance I will forfeit my deposit on the one I’ve ordered, as she's promised either my special order or a substitute will be available by midday Friday.  Based on everything that's transpired, I have very little that she'll come through. ..but I've been wrong before.  So I’m up in the air of which way I should go.  And the clock is ticking.  What a mess. 

4 hours ago, George Cole said:

but I've been wrong before.  So I’m up in the air of which way I should go.  And the clock is ticking.  What a mess. 

These are gut churning situations. I hope you get through this OK. 

Posted (edited)

Because of your deadline I would go with the trailer that is available and cancel the other order.

If they try to hold onto your deposit you can easily sue them and get it back.

As long as you have all the emails and have logged the phone conversations there is no way they would win in court and keep your deposit.

PS - I'm not the litigious type but it would be completely wrong for the first company to keep your deposit when they outright lied to you for at least 3 weeks.

Edited by zepher (see edit history)

Yes, but who goes to court and sues someone over $300.  Lawyers fees, court fees, etc would be much more than that.  Plus you have to sue someone in the state where it occurred...in this case, GA.  And even if I went the small claims route, the filing fees, etc exceed the amount I would be suing for, and again, I'd have to go to GA to file the court claim. And the companies know that.  And I'm also not the litigious type either.

My point of the article was for anyone thinking of buying a trailer right now to reconsider as there are pretty much none available.  Anyone who thinks they are buying a trailer most likely is just ordering one to be built sometime in the future.

Next time, if there is a next time, put a mandatory delivery date with a cash rebate for every day late on the contract. If the dealer won’t accept that you know he is not going to deliver on time so you can decide to buy or not. 
It’s a simple write in line that solves problems. 
dave s 

3 hours ago, George Cole said:

Yes, but who goes to court and sues someone over $300.

I thought your deposit was much more substantial.

As in 10 times more substantial.

For that much I would have bailed right away and picked up the trailer you know you can grab to meet your deadline.

Many years ago, maybe 18 or so, the Rolls Royce Club scheduled a tour somewhere out of the US,  I'm thinking Australia or New Zealand.  Anyway the gist of the tale is this.  The club contracted with a shipping company to transport the dozen or so Rolls Royces by ship. Ship left port but didn't arrive at its destination on time or even late.  After some time passed the ship was found anchored at port in Singapore if memory serves. The shipping company had gone bankrupt and the crew had abandoned the ship. For several months the ship languished  in port while the club tried to find a way to retrieve their cars which of course were tied up in the bankruptcy proceedings. At the time the founder of Friendlys restaurants was active in the club and his car was on board.  He had sold Friendlys to Coke so he was awash in cash. There was talk of having him buy the shipping company. Finally after months of aggravation the cars were released. I'm sure someone here will have additions/corrections to this tale.

image.png

image.png

Posted (edited)

I prefer Firefox.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

Came down to the wire but crisis averted.  After I told them their competition across town actually had one in stock, they began jumping through hoops.  As of this morning, they realized my 8.5x16 special order wasn't going to be done in time, so they came up with 6 different others from their 3 manufacturers, including one that a customer had already paid for but they would sell out from under him.  I agreed to an 8.5x20.  The sales mgr said it will be on their lot waiting for me tomorrow morning.

Posted (edited)

If I were that other customer I may be a bit upset about the selling out from under.

But, maybe he doesn't need it right away, the being paid for part would get to me.

When I was dealing in boats and more specifically out board motors I had a salesman sell a customers repair job off of the rack one time.

That was a huge can of worms.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

On 5/25/2020 at 2:18 PM, Matt Harwood said:

That's because we're already on the downward side of the slope, the fight is already lost. Cheaper, cheaper, cheaper is all anyone wanted, and now it's all we've got. Most brands--regardless of current quality--are coasting on their reputations, and in a generation or so, that will be erased. I doubt my kids will know anything of quality, just crappy and slightly-less-crappy.

But at least we saved a buck and managed to make everything worthless along the way.

Concise explanation of the economic corner into which we have painted ourselves. Generations of demands for ever cheaper goods with quality relegated to secondary or tertiary consideration have produced the results they ultimately were destined to.   It was only abetted by a widened global supply chain providing what we demanded.

On 6/18/2020 at 7:34 PM, Matt Harwood said:

wages2.jpg?width=960

ceo-pay.jpg

The rising tide no longer lifts all boats...

Transported cars many times, always scary but never any stories like this thread.

However, I had a crooked seller once who brought the vehicle I purchased to the

transporters pickup point and loaded it on the trailer.  Then he removed the battery,

saying "the buyer bought the truck, not the new battery".   So it goes when you buy a 

running/drivable car.   Trucker called and told me to bring a battery when I picked it

up.   I've bought a lot of batteries for that truck in the last 30+ years!

I think that America and Australia, both have gone down that CHEAP path, and thus few companies are able to make quality, as raw materials from China are just thinner, made poorer (is that a word)  and we suffer for bad quality . When will America or Germany make decent goods again ( or even England) ? Phil