Ron Green

Transporter nightmare

11 hours ago, mike3121 said:

Car theft isn't even a crime in the city across from me and the city is rated 3rd in stolen cars. Read an article that said the best deterrent to a car thief is stick shift.

Would be nice if they treated it like horse thieves in the west. Short rope and a tall tree.  Probably wouldn't take too many examples to drop the crime rate. 

I think that's part of the problem today is there are too few examples so all people can see what happens when people do bad things.

• Like 4

Benefits of AACA Membership.

15 hours ago, mike3121 said:

Car theft isn't even a crime in the city across from me and the city is rated 3rd in stolen cars. Read an article that said the best deterrent to a car thief is stick shift.

Portland, OR? Wouldn't surprise me. Nothing seems to be a crime over there.

• Like 1

Matt, I wish this were always the case.  I've never shied away from paying more for for a better product.  But anymore, I'm beginning to wonder.  I just bought a set of AC Delco spark plugs for one of my Vettes.  They were about double the price of several other off-brands Advance Auto also offered.  Got them home and read the fine print on the box...MADE IN CHINA.  If I hadn't already installed them, I would have returned them.  Anymore, higher price and name brand cannot be trusted as indications of 'better quality.'  

Just now, George T. Cole said:

Matt, I wish this were always the case.  I've never shied away from paying more for for a better product.  But anymore, I'm beginning to wonder.  I just bought a set of AC Delco spark plugs for one of my Vettes.  They were about double the price of several other off-brands Advance Auto also offered.  Got them home and read the fine print on the box...MADE IN CHINA.  If I hadn't already installed them, I would have returned them.  Anymore, higher price and name brand cannot be trusted as indications of 'better quality.'  

That's because we're already on the downward side of the slope, the fight is already lost. Cheaper, cheaper, cheaper is all anyone wanted, and now it's all we've got. Most brands--regardless of current quality--are coasting on their reputations, and in a generation or so, that will be erased. I doubt my kids will know anything of quality, just crappy and slightly-less-crappy.

But at least we saved a buck and managed to make everything worthless along the way.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Two years ago we had to move in snowy January. I had one of my old cars towed to our new home. I assisted with the load up. I followed the car the entire route. I was there and assisted with the unload. I proceeded to drive it directly into its new home, my garage. I paid and tipped the driver. The car never left my sight.  I know this is not possible for everyone. Just thought I would contribute to the thread and post a pic, 'cause everyone loves a pic or two.  

That's quite an awful story at that start of this thread.  Despicable. 

IMG_2360.JPG

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)

Agreed Matt, but I'm hoping that somehow we can turn this around.  I'm sure there are enough of us willing to pay more for quality to not have to settle for crap.  Somehow we need to get the word out to these name-brand companies who only look at today's balance sheet, and not 5 years into the future.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, George T. Cole said:

Agreed Matt, but I'm hoping that somehow we can turn this around.  I'm sure there are enough of us willing to pay more for quality to not have to settle for crap.  Somehow we need to get the word out to these name-brand companies who only look at today's balance sheet, and not 5 years into the future.

Not if executive pay is tied to stock performance we won't. Cutting every corner possible to boost profitability, and therefore share prices, is all that matters now. There is zero incentive to improve brand loyalty or customer retention and it's still far cheaper to simply give the consumer a replacement whatever than to make a better one, mostly because nobody will buy it if it costs more. 

We did this to ourselves because all we value is money. It's why we're screwed as a society.

• Like 5

Oh boy Matt! Your last two posts really nailed much of what I have been yelling about for many years! Thirty five years ago, I saw this happening (the U-joint incident was a tuning point in my eyes), and have been speaking out against it all along. When WE, when our corporations and government, REWARD mediocrity and the selling out of all our most valuable resources (Our own hard working masses! Our ability to manufacture, and provide for ourselves as well as much of the rest of the world!), the absolute end result will be the loss of everything of value. Honesty and integrity are already GONE! We cannot even provide for ourselves in a viral crisis (whether real or imagined?), and the likely-to-collapse economy will lead to more devastation and death (yes, DEATH) than the virus would have ever done on its own!

Following is part of what I wrote and sent to an antique automobile and internet friend just last night.

"The only real hope we have is that no less than fifty million Americans can WAKE UP in the next two years and DEMAND honesty and integrity in all things political, journalistic, and corporate behavior. From THAT, maybe we can get the liars and thieves out of power. What I have seen the past few months says that isn't likely to happen.
It is entirely within the realm of probability that within a hundred years, the entire world could again be like it was in the "Dark Ages" 700 years ago. The "great land" that had wondrous power may become nothing more than another legend and tales told around the fire on cold winter evenings. 

It took two thousand years to go from the ancient Greek civilization to Robert Fulton's steam boat. And nearly two hundred years from that to Henry Ford and a hundred other "right people at the right time"!
It could take another two thousand years before humanity can again achieve what we have had."

Let me add, that in a major socioeconomic collapse, it would only take about two generations for ninety percent of what has been learned and developed in the past two hundred years to be LOST! As an industrial society, we would be back to steam boats and manual looms.  Computers and electronic retrieval systems would die for lack of power and proper maintenance, and most books would have been burned or abandoned to rot in the ground. The people with the knowledge would have died off, so what would be left? Only the simplest technologies that could be rigged up from the remnants of what was. Steam engines and simple machines.

Sorry. I have ranted enough. But I think so much of what we as a dominant species have accomplished, and what our real potential was (note, unless we turn this around SOON, that potential WAS!), was wonderful. Not just the technologies, and the ability to feed millions without working half of them to death, but the music, many arts, including movies and written stories, and of course our wonderful historic cars! And it could all be gone in a blink of the world's eye. I was not a "doomsdayer", despite how all this sounds. I was just never foolish enough to believe everything that came before I was born was simply OURS forever! We MUST take care of it, and US if we do not want to lose it all. Vigilance is forever. So is death. As said in "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade", "CHOOSE WISELY!"
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The real tragedy is we have all but lost our manufacturing base. through bad trade deals, taxes, etc. If we had to gear-up today for the level of wartime

manufacturing as we did for WW2 we would be screwed. The heavy industrial base is simply not there. Niether is the domestic competition that drives

prices and quality. Try getting the best price for a military component when there is only one firm in the U.S. that still makes that piece. Or how about having to use a

inferior welded assembly rather than a cast or forged assembly because the foundry has gone out of business. Better yet try finding young people interested in learning a trade.

Our local community college has a fantastic precision machine program with state of the art equipment - last year they had all of five students.

• Like 2

A tremendous amount of change has occurred in my 49 years on this planet. I imagine the folks older than me must blink their eyes, bewildered what has become of today’s world. It’s unbelievable. 

I agree with Matt and and Wayne. Being as this an auto group, I’ll comment on related. 

We’re often screwed each time we try to source new parts for our old cars.  So much cheap junk Is provided that works half the time. When it does work, it might work for a little while. Yet the parts used before it, may have been original and well over 50, or even 80 plus years old. 

Honesty and integrity seems to mean little these days for sure. 

Am I the only one who tows my own cars ? Have had multipurpose tow vehicles (abeit some interesting ones) since 1972. I also have tow bars and tow dollies (tow RWD cars e.g.Fieros backwards unless a manual trans) but also U-haul will rent my Jeep anything they have including a tandem axle car hauler (is a financial incentive to buy only cars titled in Florida) if need "more".

Of course there are very few other than myself I trust to work on my cars (generally farm out automagic trannys and AC work).

Suspect someday will no longer be able but prolly be time for an estate sale.

11 minutes ago, padgett said:

Am I the only one who tows my own cars ? Have had multipurpose tow vehicles (abeit some interesting ones) since 1972. I also have tow bars and tow dollies (tow RWD cars e.g.Fieros backwards unless a manual trans) but also U-haul will rent my Jeep anything they have including a tandem axle car hauler (is a financial incentive to buy only cars titled in Florida) if need "more".

Of course there are very few other than myself I trust to work on my cars (generally farm out automagic trannys and AC work).

Suspect someday will no longer be able but prolly be time for an estate sale.

I tow my own stuff. Have since the mid 80’s. Once one has a decent truck and trailer, the hobby opens up about 300 percent more than before. Having lived in New England or Florida my entire life, anywhere east of the Mississippi is an easy two day drive or less. While trucks and trailers add expense to the hobby........you get many other benefits that are hard to imagine. Too many to list. I will always keep a truck and trailer as long as I possibly can to improve my old car experience. I know several collectors who share a rig........which makes sense for many people. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, edinmass said:

I tow my own stuff. Have since the mid 80’s. Once one has a decent truck and trailer, the hobby opens up about 300 percent more than before. Having lived in New England or Florida my entire life, anywhere east of the Mississippi is an easy two day drive or less. While trucks and trailers add expense to the hobby........you get many other benefits that are hard to imagine. Too many to list. I will always keep a truck and trailer as long as I possibly can to improve my old car experience. I know several collectors who share a rig........which makes sense for many people.

I get my stuff towed by being buddies with guys that have really great rigs,   including the worlds longest bumper tow.   And when he can't do it I use Intercity.  

IMG_2369.jpg

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I get my stuff towed by being buddies with guys that have really great rigs,   including the worlds longest bumper tow.   And when he can't do it I use Intercity.  

IMG_2369.jpg

AJ is a great guy, and I’m always happy to haul his car for no charge. As long as he lets me keep it to use and abuse like it’s my own. To be fair, he usually buys me a McDonalds happy meal...............Or a five course dinner at a “top chef” type restaurant when we meet up at the shows and tours. It’s fun to watch him whip out the plastic at dinner when the tab is about the same as a monthly restoration bill for a nice CCCA car.

Every time the check comes, I hear Dee Schneider singing “Stay Hungry” from back in my high school days.

7959497E-A676-42A7-9C38-68E4A0677B82.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

11 hours ago, padgett said:

Am I the only one who tows my own cars ?

Seems a lot us finally got fed up with dealing with many of the things discussed on this thread and got our own equipment to tow. Probably have 80K plus tow miles myself in the past 20 plus years. Sometimes if you don't have the time and it is thousands of miles it can be cheaper and to use one of the reputable carriers. Speaking of cheap (and dangerous) take a look at some of the trucks, hitches, load leveler bars, etc that some are using. I can't believe the number of people I see towing that are downright scary with their setup and knowledge of how to safely tow.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, George Cole said:

I'm sure there are enough of us willing to pay more for quality... 

I agree, George.  Here are a couple of illustrations

of how choosing good quality makes life better.

Say you can buy lower-quality foreign-made shoes for $100.

They last 5 years.  A top-quality pair, such as Allen Edmonds,

may cost $300.  They last twice as long, and you can resole

them several times.  In the long run, you haven't spent more money--

and most importantly, you've been enjoying high quality all 

those years your friends are constantly replacing their cheaper product.

The same can be said for furniture, but this case is even better.

If someone can't afford well made furniture, he can always

buy some top-quality used furniture from an estate or an

antique store.  And he can eventually pass it down to his

great-grandchildren. 

I think we got away from the OP  . If some wants a good honest company to transport there car east of the miss river use Applewood motors . I drove for Bruce for about 9 years. Always one time and never damaged a thing . Some of those were muit million dollar cars . Kings32

6 hours ago, Ron Green said:

I can't believe the number of people I see towing that are downright scary with their setup and knowledge of how to safely tow

Yea, you should stand at the exit gate of your local dirt track some night after the races.

I keep my stuff in pretty good shape, but did get pulled over one night on my way home right at the on ramp. My tow was about 70 miles each way.

My lights had come unplugged. The trooper commented on my trailer being better than the average dirt racer he pulls over.

His words were something like "these guys will spend thousands on their racecar and nothing on their trailers".

I plugged my lights back in and the cop said if all the lights work as they should he would let me go. Took all of about 5 minutes on that stop.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Somebody knows how or where to resole shoes? May I have sum more porridge sir?

• Like 2

When I purchased my '46 Ford Station Wagon, I had it shipped from Minnesota. About a month later I received a call from Discover Card, Fraud Protection, telling me of charges in the amount of several thousand dollars. They asked if I used my card in Milwaukee, Indianapolis and Pittsburgh and of course I told them it wasn't me. When I told them about the transporter, they couldn't believe how stupid he was. It was almost like he left a clue in every big city he went thru. Thankfully I didn't have to pay and I tried to follow up on their investigation but they wouldn't give me any information.I hope they got the guy!

I’m fairly convinced the big name reproduction tire companies are there for cosmetics only not actual high speed long term function. Works fine for under 40 mph or trailering the car to shows but not so good for regular daily use. Thought I’d get better use at 250 plus a tire. Who knew.

14 hours ago, deaddds said:

I’m fairly convinced the big name reproduction tire companies are there for cosmetics only not actual high speed long term function. Works fine for under 40 mph or trailering the car to shows but not so good for regular daily use. Thought I’d get better use at 250 plus a tire. Who knew.

There is only one reproduction tire company. They license the brand names to put on the reproduction tires, giving the appearance of many "brand name" manufacturers, but they are all made from the same low-quality materials in the same low-wage overseas factory, and then they sit around the warehouse getting old because they manufacture enough to last in inventory 5 or 10 years.

And you are correct, they don't care about quality--where else are you gonna go?

I have my own equipment but usually I'm busy enough trying to get stuff done here and run my business that it's easier to hire a professional. For what I have found with what i have paid for the last several hauls,  short or long distance it wasn't worth even getting my stuff together and going over everything for the big trip when a phone call and between a couple of hours to a couple of days the car is picked up and in my drive. Especially nice when it's winter time to avoid putting my equipment in the salt.  I think I paid $285 To have the Auburn moved enclosed 3 hours each way in February.  A non Runner and all I had to do was roll it off the trailer into my waiting garage. Instead of being on the road I was cleaning the garage so she had a proper place when she arrived. Same deal with the Dodge but that was 6 hours plus each way. Of course more money but both times I didn't have to try to clean the salt off my rig.  A whole extra day just to do that and you never really get it clean.

My Dad just dropped off another nice enclosed trailer I could have bought pretty cheap but I told him I didn't need it and was most likely going to sell mine when I got the garage floor partially poured so I could unload it.  Local my friend with a roll back and a power winch with the knowledge of how to retrieve stuff with stuck wheels from a back corner around some obstacles is again money well spent.  Unless it's for the afternoon adventure or extended treasure hunt I just hire it out.  I've even done the same thing several times with literature and hired a friend or in one case as some of you may recall a car transporter to move it.  

Posted (edited)

Continuously driving prices to the bottom of the barrel often does lead to bad things. Look around at all the junk made, off-shore reproduction parts for vintage cars. Look at Harbour Freight jack stands? So much junk.  It is my opinion that the average hard working middle class citizen in USA or Canada is over-taxed. We need to stretch our dollars farther and farther every year as fees, taxes, levies, ect. continue to climb. Insurance rates, groceries, gasoline, minimum wage hourly wagers...These rates climb faster than our earnings do. I have way less money at the end each month than I did 10 years ago. So what do we do? Give up? Don't take up any hobbies any more? Get out of the car hobby as it becomes just too darn expensive? Or do we get creative and find ways to stretch our dollars further. I don't need Snap-On tools at high prices to tinker at home. Craftsman is just fine. I find used parts and tools where ever possible. I'll pick up opportunities to earn a little side cash to pay for what my hobby needs.  In my life, it has come to the point that my wife and my job incomes, does not go toward my vintage car hobby. I find ways to turn a buck so I can support my hobbies independently from our full time job earnings.  Yes, that means I have less time in my personal life. Yes, less time to laze around and relax. Less down time. I do make an effort to find and buy higher quality tools, parts and services where I can. I have to, or I'm out. Like steak and fine wine these days...Gone from my budget. Only consumed on rare special occasions. LOL.

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)

I don’t hire anyone to haul my car and I don’t haul it. I drive it, it’s my daily driver. It’s the only old car I have. It’s a lot of fun doing it this way and a bonus for my enjoyment. 
dave s 

ps. I know not everyone can do it this way because of time and type of vehicle but it really is fun.