1937 Studebaker Headlight parts

Hi guys,

I have a 1937 Dictator with aftermarket sealed beam headlights.  I’d like to restore them back to the original lenses, etc.  I’m looking for the guts of the lights.  Springs, sockets and reflectors are most important. I have found 2 lenses and one reflector.  Does anybody have parts?  I know Plymouth and some other brands used the same Riteway lights.  Thanks.

nate

I talked to you on the phone but could not help you.

I found a box of reflectors but none have part numbers. 

Can you post a picture of the one reflector you bought with

dimensions? I can then identify these and sell you the second one needed.

You will also need the clips that hold the reflector in place.

You can get the reflectors re silvered by: 

Uvira, Inc. 

310 Pleasant Valley Rd. 

Merlin - Oregon 97532 

Telephone: 541-956-6880 

Fax: 541-476-9096 

email: uvira@terragon.com

Also look at this Plymouth post, They used the same headlights.

https://p15-d24.com/topic/34504-pre-1939-cars-with-headlight-bulbs/

I have a pair of reflectors that need re-slivering and various springs, clips, and sockets. I ‘ll take a photo when I go out to the garage later today. 

If you don’t have the thin stainless strips that go around the lip of the bucket and hold the lenses in place, they might be the hardest-of-all pieces to find. Most sealed beam conversions that I’ve seen eliminated those strips. I don’t have any of them.

Tom

Here’s a picture of various parts I have. Some of those “A” shaped clips were reproduced by Don Axlerod years ago. I’m not sure where I got the reproduction socket. It might have been Restoration Supply Company in Escondido, CA.  The socket is in the newest catalog I have for them at $24 each.  The original socket pictured can be restored with a couple of insulating washers, a couple of contact buttons, a spring, and some soldering ability.

Tom

5D5B0AA9-9BC2-4211-85E9-5B94BB2BE99E.jpeg

Hi Chris.

After reading your comment I fitted an original 2331 bulb into that reproduction socket and it fit fine.  I see these 2331 bulbs at every swap meet I go to. I stopped buying them because I have so many (34 on hand right now — I just counted them)

I also checked to see that the contacts on the bottom of the bulb lined up with the holes in the insulating washer when the owner has to solder the button contacts on the wires.  Looks OK to me.

I did check Rhode Island Wiring’s catalog and they don’t show these sockets. I’m not sure where Restoration Supply Company sources them. (Or if theirs is even what I have)

Tom

28782C4A-FF05-4821-852A-675AC9E87FDD.jpeg

I put LED bulbs that are 6 volt positive ground ( not sure ground matters in a bulb) that fit my stock socket on my 38 just like that. I think each bulb was $6 or $8 and they really work well. Much better light than originals. Both high and low beam work well. 
dave s 

On 5/25/2020 at 1:45 PM, chris piazza said:

Careful, those repro. sockets are impossible to find bulbs for. 

I believe they are still rather plentiful, at least from what I've seen them sell for at swap meets for NOS ones.

Craig

IMG_3041.JPG

The sockets can be a hard find.

LED bulbs are the new trend and are quite bright and plentiful,.      I bought up a bunch of originals and Craig is correct, they are also plentiful .   I have extras. 

I now stock many hard to find 6V bulbs.

• 9 months later...

I do have some extra parts.  I have a pair of reflectors, some clips, and I have 1 of the stainless rings that keep the lens in place.  I have some leads on other parts.  Private message me and I’ll share my email and phone number.

nate

• 2 weeks later...